Getting my CCW. Gun Options - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Getting my CCW. Gun Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79skunk View Post
I am about to get my CCW with my old man. I wanted to have my own pistol to do this instead of using one of his and I finally got enough saved up. Now I dont know a whole lot about what I should be looking for or what would work for me. I know its different for everyone but im looking for some pointers I guess. My buddies got a 1911 but it pretty dam big and dont really conceal all that well. Anothers got a glock and once ones in the chamber there aint no safety so I aint too big of a fan for that. I know I want a .45 and something that I can conceal pretty easily, obviously. But past that I have no idea. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I have to say this type questions worry me-
We're going to have another young unexperienced & untrained guy carrying a concealed weapon out there
No offense intended toward your personally my young friend -I hope you are safe & learn correctly--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #12

My suggestion is to take the CCW class and then seek out a Pistol Class from someone like an NRA Certified Instructor. That should help give you a little more insight into what kind of weapon you might want to carry. My personal preference is my Kahr CW45, my Wife's is the Kahr CW9. Before the CW45 my CCW gun was a three inch 1911.

Steve E...........

Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I have to say this type questions worry me-
We're going to have another young unexperienced & untrained guy carrying a concealed weapon out there
No offense intended toward your personally my young friend -I hope you are safe & learn correctly--
I should have explained a little better. Im not a newbie to guns or pistols, Ive been shooting since before I was 10, im 23 now. I know how to safely handle and shoot pistols, and any other long guns, no problems. I plan on putting several boxes of ammo though this gun before I even take the class so I can be completly comfortable with the gun first. I am just looking for some tips on things I should be looking for in choosing the right gun for me. I know the main one would be is how it feels and if I am comfortable with it. But past that Im lost. I didnt know what else I should be looking for.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

You will probably go through several holsters before you settle on one to carry, most of us did I'm sure. If you can find a nicely equipped shop that will let you try different guns in different holsters that would help immensely. Other than how it fits you (as you said) carry the biggest caliber you can present reliably, fire reliably and hit reliably with and carry an extra magazine.

Steve E............

Old 01-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #15

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79skunk View Post
I should have explained a little better. Im not a newbie to guns or pistols, Ive been shooting since before I was 10, im 23 now. I know how to safely handle and shoot pistols, and any other long guns, no problems. I plan on putting several boxes of ammo though this gun before I even take the class so I can be completly comfortable with the gun first. I am just looking for some tips on things I should be looking for in choosing the right gun for me. I know the main one would be is how it feels and if I am comfortable with it. But past that Im lost. I didnt know what else I should be looking for.
Much Better

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET