Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Getting my CCW. Gun Options (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/getting-my-ccw-gun-options-56021/)

79skunk 01-22-2012 04:35 AM

Getting my CCW. Gun Options
 
I am about to get my CCW with my old man. I wanted to have my own pistol to do this instead of using one of his and I finally got enough saved up. Now I dont know a whole lot about what I should be looking for or what would work for me. I know its different for everyone but im looking for some pointers I guess. My buddies got a 1911 but it pretty dam big and dont really conceal all that well. Anothers got a glock and once ones in the chamber there aint no safety so I aint too big of a fan for that. I know I want a .45 and something that I can conceal pretty easily, obviously. But past that I have no idea. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

vincent 01-22-2012 04:41 AM

1-Welcome!! Stop by the intro thread and say hey when you get a chance...:cool:

2-It's all a matter of personal preference, get your hands on as many as possible and see what fits you best...local gun shops, pawn shops etc.. Some ranges have rental guns, again, try as many as possible. Only you know what you will like best...;)

Paperpuncher 01-22-2012 05:00 AM

You know, I've been doing a little research into what will I buy next, I believe it will be a 9mm, compact and easy to carry, sa/da trigger, not a mega fortune to buy, and the CZ 2075 Rami BD has caught my eye.

I haven't gotten very deep into it yet as far as reliability or C.S. but it looks like an interesting gun.

linuxuser3890 01-22-2012 05:16 AM

How long do you have to get one bc Springfield is coming out with a 45 the size of the Ruger lc9 witch is really thin and that's what you want with ccw. When I started carrying I was pretty well set on the gun it was the holster that I had trouble deciding and is something to start considering. Also I may want to mention a budget if you want good advice. And just remember to do like Vincent said and go pick some of Tue guns mentioned.

XD compacts are good if you want more safety.
Glocks are safe in the right holster.
The smaller 1911s are more cancelable.
45s are really hard to come by in a small package given the amount of energy they have.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

trip286 01-22-2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperpuncher
You know, I've been doing a little research into what will I buy next, I believe it will be a 9mm, compact and easy to carry, sa/da trigger, not a mega fortune to buy, and the CZ 2075 Rami BD has caught my eye.

I haven't gotten very deep into it yet as far as reliability or C.S. but it looks like an interesting gun.

I keep hearing nothing but rave reviews about everything cz. I recently shot a cz 52 and damn near fell in love, but that is the only experience I have with their product.

vincent 01-22-2012 05:20 AM

Those XD/XDM's are hard to beat, great guns...gotta get my paws on a cz...

rigjumpr 01-22-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79skunk (Post 684860)
I am about to get my CCW with my old man. I wanted to have my own pistol to do this instead of using one of his and I finally got enough saved up. Now I dont know a whole lot about what I should be looking for or what would work for me. I know its different for everyone but im looking for some pointers I guess. My buddies got a 1911 but it pretty dam big and dont really conceal all that well. Anothers got a glock and once ones in the chamber there aint no safety so I aint too big of a fan for that. I know I want a .45 and something that I can conceal pretty easily, obviously. But past that I have no idea. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Itís obvious you have given this some thought, you say you want a .45 you mentioned you donít think a 1911 will be cancelable, I and other members can tell you they are, you have ruled out the Glock for not having an external safety OK, you are the safety keep your damn finger off of the bang button and you will be fine (this my new friend takes time, mussel memory that comes from practice and thatís perfect practice you with me? also too small of a sidearm doesnít make it a good carry weapon. I agree with fondling as many pistols as possible to find the right one for you not just the one that was on the cover of Guns and Ammo last monthÖnot that anyone would do that.:D
I know I have not answered your question:( but, I can't. Only you can do that. There is also a lot more to think about before you start to carry.

WDbeej 01-22-2012 06:03 AM

You have a couple of things to think over before chosing a gun/caliber;
1- size - can't be too big or too small. Too big and you cannot carry/conceal comfotably. Too small and you might lack control because of the recoil on larger calibers.
2- cost - it is not just the cost of the gun you need to consider. What about the feeding cost of your new buddy? .45's like to eat pricey, .40's don't eat off the dollar menu either. if you can't afford to feed the beast, you will not take him out to play as often.

Don't rule out the 9's because they aren't the big dogs in the pack. I like my M&P9. It has a high capacity magazine (17 rds), shoots straight, doesn't cost as much to shoot as the 40 or 45 (or even the 380). ITS MADE IN AMERICA.

Paperpuncher 01-22-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 684887)
I keep hearing nothing but rave reviews about everything cz. I recently shot a cz 52 and damn near fell in love, but that is the only experience I have with their product.

It is certainly something I'm going to do some extra deep research on.

The little I've found so far in just a few hours is it's a great gun with some early feeding issues(common) that has since been worked out, and that CZ's customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll keep researching this gun as I save.

danf_fl 01-22-2012 09:39 AM

Did you have to attend a training class?
If not, I strongly suggest you get one. The instructor may have different examples of firearms on hand that could work for you.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.