Getting my CCW for the first time!! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Getting my CCW for the first time!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

+1 in the chamber. If you are not comfortable with your firearm, and the holster you carry it in enough to have one in the pipe, go back to the range and get comfortable with your firearm. They are tools, make sure you know how to use it properly and practice drills pulling it out in self defense situations.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1188 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Baby guns carry easy, but either lack stopping power, or are difficult to control. Big guns are more difficult to conceal. I love my XDM9 compact, SWMBO not so much. She much prefers her Bersa.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #23

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamramrod View Post
This year i will be getting my CCW, my question is what is a good carry gun? I shoot/ hunt a ton. I shoot both long guns and handguns alot. I THINK i want a 45 but im open to suggestions, i have a 9mm i could carry but i want an excuse to buy a new gun . I would like to keep the cost around the 500$ mark and have a nice reliable gun.
Any advice is much appreciated.. Thanks guys!
Congratulations , may you never need to use it . I just picked up a glock 20 10mm for 530.00 out the door . but so far ive only been able to find ammo online :/ that being said GREAT GUN. But its big but if your already thinking about a .45 the g20 is same frame as the 21 and the 10mm wayyy outperforms a .45 by leaps and bounds if you get full house ammo like underwood .

So Im curious how old are you ? I got my CCW @ 34 years old after 2 life threatening events where I just got lucky

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

My wife & I were both going to get a license to carry when I retired. She did a lot of research on the 'net & decided on the Bersa Thunder .380. Since I wasn't a computer person, I just relied on her research & selected the same brand, but a bigger bullet!

Then, I decided I'd like to have a home defense weapon with a rail for light/laser & settled for a 1911 with Crimson Trace grips. Then it was a small pocket pistol! You starting to see the trend?

My wife never got her CHL & is starting to wonder what she got started!!

So, like these guys are advising you, select your favorite caliber, rent some pistols to see what fits your hand, then that's just getting started!

Last edited by gollygee; 01-09-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1188 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
then that's just getting started!
^ Yea That!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #26

Im going to be 21. Ive been waiting to get it for a long time. But in my state you have to be 21 to have your CCW. There is no range around me that rents guns. So i guess ill just start buying different calibers or just duct tape my smith and wesson 500 to me leg

Last edited by teamramrod; 01-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #27

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Just be sure of your safety paradigm before you start CCW with one

in the tube. I personally prefer a SA/DA with a Decocker. Then, after you

release the safety, you still have DA as an additional safe feature, unless

you cock it.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamramrod View Post
Firearms4ever you gave a lot of good info in that post. So i guess ill just have to BUY 3 or 4 different guns in different calibers and carry them at different times. Concealing them from the woman is gonna be the biggest problem.. she just figured out that i have more guns than i did a few months ago...

See thats where you messed up trying to hide them from the wife. Let me tell you something they know they always know. Best policy is be honest and tell them Dear i dont know what happend it just fell in my pocket. good luck with that.

When i carry i do to suit the clothes that im wearing.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
, then that's just getting started!

pistol is not the only thing you have to consider either, gotta think holsters do you want owb,iwb,ankle, chest rig, ammo, what kind of sights. a million other things too so have fun on the ride of buying hand guns oh and a good belt.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #30

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTmAn View Post
pistol is not the only thing you have to consider either, gotta think holsters do you want owb,iwb,ankle, chest rig, ammo, what kind of sights. a million other things too so have fun on the ride of buying hand guns oh and a good belt.
Aw, don't screw around, OP,

get a helicopter to carry it all

around in...