Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Getting my CCW for the first time!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/getting-my-ccw-first-time-54979/)

teamramrod 01-07-2012 05:52 PM

Getting my CCW for the first time!!

This year i will be getting my CCW, my question is what is a good carry gun? I shoot/ hunt a ton. I shoot both long guns and handguns alot. I THINK i want a 45 but im open to suggestions, i have a 9mm i could carry but i want an excuse to buy a new gun :D. I would like to keep the cost around the 500$ mark and have a nice reliable gun.
Any advice is much appreciated.. Thanks guys!

G30USMC 01-07-2012 06:33 PM

Caliber is a personal choice, i do not get into the caliber wars..... My suggestion is to shoot and carry what you are proficient with.....

I carry a Glock 21 (45 ACP) on duty, only because that is what is issues to me by my department.....

Off duty, i carry a G26 and love it, i load it with speer gold dot 124 +p, i prefer the 9mm IMHO

Paladin201 01-07-2012 06:37 PM

There are many very good carry guns out there. I could say you should buy this or that. But then everyone is going to tell you that they're particular favorite gun is the best. If you stick to any of the major name brands and don't go out on the fringes, you're not likely to go wrong. A gun that one person likes another won't. So my advice is to find a range where you can rent guns and try different ones until you find one that works for you.

Firearms4ever 01-07-2012 06:43 PM

Everything is going to boil down to personal preference. My three carry firearms are the Ruger SR9c, Kahr CM9, and Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1. The main reason I have three different ones is, because each one of them has a different purpose. The Kahr I carry year around in my pocket as a backup, because it is so small and easy to conceal. The Ruger I carry in the spring and summer, because I can conceal it more easily than the 1911a1 due to not wearing as much clothing. The 1911a1 I carry in the winter and fall, because I can conceal it better since I'm generally wearing heavier/more clothing. The reason for carrying 9mm in the spring and summer is, because if I were attacked or something the assailant would probably not be wearing a leather jacket or some other form of heavy clothing that a 9mm might have more trouble going through or atleast doing enough damage to stop them. The same concept applies to the .45ACP, because an attacker in the fall or winter probably would be wearing a coat/jacket/ or whatever and the .45ACP would have an easier time penetrating and doing more damage than the 9mm.

TruggieTex 01-07-2012 06:45 PM

I bought a Glock 30 in '96 and have never looked back. Now they make a slim fit model as well!

TimKS 01-07-2012 06:56 PM

Asking us to choose a carry gun for you like asking us to choose a wife for you. We all have different ideas of what's nice and what ain't. YOU choose your own. ;)

teamramrod 01-07-2012 07:18 PM

Firearms4ever you gave a lot of good info in that post. So i guess ill just have to BUY 3 or 4 different guns in different calibers and carry them at different times. Concealing them from the woman is gonna be the biggest problem.. she just figured out that i have more guns than i did a few months ago...

therewolf 01-07-2012 07:43 PM

See if you can borrow or try an old S&W SS 645. If you like it,

you know what your next gun purchase will be.

Mine was 390$ OTD...

firedawg60 01-07-2012 07:49 PM

You'd be ahead if you can't borrow one, go to a range that does rentals and test drive a few in different styles, calibers and such. You also need to try and decide how you're going to carry; OWB, IWB, shoulder. Bear in mind you'll need to learn to dress around the gun.

But get what you want and are comfortable with. Good luck.

towboater 01-07-2012 08:08 PM

I carry a CZ82. Their inexpensive but high quality. Check out CZ.