Getting my CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Getting my CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Getting my CCW

I am going to CCW classes the next two nights. I am looking forward to it. What should I expect from the class? Any questions that I should ask?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

expect to be bored for 4 or 5 hours 90% of what they teach you you'll probably already know,the one thing my instructer kept telling the class was im not a lawyer or law enforcment.so i would recomend keeping the questions to basics like if you get stopped by the police for a minor traffic violation should you let the officer know.thats just one of the questions i asked, but keep us updated.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Will vary depending on the state and the instructor. FWIW, keep mind and ears open, and ya may learn something. Few years back had to attend a hunter safety course in Colorado. Was offered by the 4-H club. I have UNDERWEAR older than most of the attendees. 2 days. Was dreading it.

I had a BALL! We had a bunch of ranch kids that were 9-12 years old, were looking forward to hunting, Good instructor. Yah never can tell where you might find gold.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #4

Hi,
I'm not sure what your experience level is with firearms, but if you are well versed with them, you will probably find most of the class a review. If you are not very experienced or somewhere in between, there will probably be some benefit. The most important part of the course is the legal section of the course. The do's and don't if you will, for carring, handling, and if need be, using your weapon to defend yourself.
This section covers what is legal in your State as far as what zones are a no weapon zone, weepon friendly zones, and how to conduct yourself when contacted by a LEO. You will want to pay attention to that part as that may be the difference in merely getting a warning,a citation, or loosing your freedom, losing your weapon, and the ability to legally carry a weapon.

Again I have no idea what your experience level is and this is not meant to offend or insult, just merely giving some advise as to what to expect.

No matter what, I do reccomend to continue with more advanced training/instruction after you have completed your CCW course.

Practice is key with weapons, always practice and continually practice after you receive your permit. Carry positions, off hand draw and fire, dry fire, etc.

May I also reccomend that since you have decided to get your CCW permit, that you get the number of a weapons/CCW friendly lawyer and keep in on hand, in the unfortunate event you must use deadly force to defend yourself or a family member.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just enrolled in my class today, I'm going to attend on Sunday. The guy at the shop that teaches the class seems to be pretty knowledgeable and a real nice guy, quite possibly a veteran. Overall I'm looking forward to the class. My great-grandmother said they spent most of their time at the range when she went for hers.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #6

Hubs and I just took our firearm safety class today. Now my next step is to apply for my ccw license. Apparently, if I lived in a different town I could just apply directly to the state and have my license in ten days. But, since I live in a peculiar little town where everyone wants to know your business, the local police station takes care of it and they told me it takes six weeks . I wanted to argue that with him but refrained since I don't want our paperwork to come up "missing" or something. I am so depressed. I can't imagine why it would take so long.

Oh, and also, I thought the safety class would just be a drag but it was actually pretty beneficial. The instructor was a cop (from a different town) and even my very experienced husband learned a thing or two.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #7

Went to the first 4 hour class last night and was pleasantly surprised. Mostly information that I already knew but a nice overview of quite a few topics such as firearms safety, safe handling and storage of firearms, marksmanship, holsters, ammo and general firearms discussion. We also qualified with our firearms last night. A few people didn't qualify and will need to do so tonight. Tonight we will be going over legal issues, mental conditioning, judgment and completing our paperwork for the permit.

We had a good instructor that kept things serious with humor thrown in at the appropriate times and he kept things moving along. All in all it was a very positive experience.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good class and well worth the time. I expect the legal part will be the largest advantage to the class.

These types of classes are optional in my state, when I purchased an annual membership at my local range a few years back it was included with the membership and a refresher class every year. At first I wasn't going to bother with the class as I have been shooting for a long time, have military/LEO training and conseal carring for several years but took the class anyway. I did learn several things in the class and since have taken the refresher course each year and always learn something.

Most of all I learned that the laws, firearms and the conditions we live in change often so it best to refresh what you think you know on a regular basis.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #9

Finished the classes last night. Lot's of good info. All that is left is to get the money order for the state fee, mail off the application and wait. I hear that the wait times are starting to get back to about 2-3 weeks.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Finished the classes last night. Lot's of good info. All that is left is to get the money order for the state fee, mail off the application and wait. I hear that the wait times are starting to get back to about 2-3 weeks.
Two or three weeks?, you are lucky. I been waiting about 3 months, they say about 6months here in Texas.

Layton