General process for getting a Concealed Carry License?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > General process for getting a Concealed Carry License?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default General process for getting a Concealed Carry License?

I'm considering getting my concealed carry license for FL and maybe AL as well. What is the process for getting one? I heard it is different for people in the military. What are some of the general concealed carry rules for most states? I imagine you're not allowed to have it showing like with a side holster or anything, so how do you usually carry you handgun in warm weather when you don't have a coat to hide it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy129 View Post
I'm considering getting my concealed carry license for FL and maybe AL as well. What is the process for getting one? I heard it is different for people in the military. What are some of the general concealed carry rules for most states? I imagine you're not allowed to have it showing like with a side holster or anything, so how do you usually carry you handgun in warm weather when you don't have a coat to hide it?
Hi Crispy!

Generally the best place to get the info for this is the State website. You may have to look around a bit to find it, but sometimes the search function will pull it up for you.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #3

instead of getting the florida license, u might want to consider getting the utah non-resident one. i believe it covers more states than the florida one does, and i believe its cheaper too

NRA member

by the way: Guns don't kill people, drivers on cell phones kill people.

Kel-Tec Su-16, Glock 17

Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsx View Post
instead of getting the florida license, u might want to consider getting the utah non-resident one. i believe it covers more states than the florida one does, and i believe its cheaper too
Actually, the list of states with reciprocity agreements with UT and FL are very similar. There are some minor differences in which states have reciprocity for a non-resident permit though, and I believe the UT non-resident CCW is not accepted in FL. I think the OP is in FL, so he's probably better off with a FL CCW.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #5

Default Handgunlaw.us

A useful resource for answering these types of questions is http://handgunlaw.us/. Here you can get links to all the states laws, build a reciprocity map for the one or more concealed carry state licensees and much more.

My reciprocity map represents a residents Ohio license and a non-residents New Hampshire license. It's easy to generate "what if" maps so you can compare license combinations and their costs.

Howard
If it is go be, it is up to me!
Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Old 11-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #6

I am a chl holder in TX the process is simple here i took a 10 hr. class and recieved my chl in about 3 months the processing takes the longest here there being in hte military doesnt make any difference except instead of having to be 21 a person in the military only has to be 18 to get a chl if you want a good way to carry in the summer time get a inside the pants holster. i got one from the nra for about 20 bucks