Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is a frig good cover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is a frig good cover

Well I just finished watching an episode of personal defense tv. They took several calibers including 380, 38, 9mm, and the 45. These all shot through the fridge. Their conclusion, the fridge is not a good cover. I disagree, I think this would be Ok for certain calibers. But since the bad guy won't tell you what he is shooting this may be all pointless. My only criticism is the fact that they shot the fridge front to back. It is highly unlikely that you would pull a frig from the wall and stand behind it. It is more likely that you would hide behind it from the side if the fridge. There is more metal for the bullet to travel through from side to side of a fridge, than front to back.

First lets assume that none of the bullets are fmj as I am sure that this will pass through the fridge, and lets assume most people will not use these as a carry round.

This is what I know. Coincidently I just used a fridge as a background for my target this summer. I was standing 15 yards away. I used 357 s&W 586 with a 8 3/8" barrel.

I shot 38 caliber all lead swc( police round ). This penetrated the first side wall of the fridge and dented the second side, but did not go through.

Than I shot 357 magnum buffalo bore round ( wow that is fun!! ). Of Course it sliced through both sides it like butter.

Then I used my S&W 38 snubnose loaded with +p federal jacketed hollow points . I stood 15 feet away from the fridge and this only penetrated through the first side of the fridge.

I would have shot it with my 45 if I had it that day but sadly I did not. As I do not own a 9mm, I do not know how this would perform. But considering the dent on the second side of the fridge, I am going to assume it will pass through both sides. I would highly doubt the 380 would pass through both sides unless it is a really hot load.

I guess what I am trying to say is that a fridge, especially loaded with food should not be discounted as cover as PD TV conveys. Most definitely better than an upholstered chair or a drywall.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll bet in all the testing noone "loaded" the fridg like it would be at home. Trust me some of the food Glass cooks would stop a 50 at point blank range.

Scubie

Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Best Defense tested the frig on one of the episodes last year. Side thru side with jugs full of water inside. It was not a very confidence inspiring test.

The effectiveness would probably depend entirely on what you have inside, but I sure wouldn't stake my life on it.

Their tests of household walls were pretty eye-opening as well.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
I'll bet in all the testing noone "loaded" the fridg like it would be at home. Trust me some of the food Glass cooks would stop a 50 at point blank range.

Scubie
at least she cooks...

on to the point now. When I was goin on my first juvi hunt with my dad we used a fridge as our back drop. i was shootin a 9mm carbine and it was goin thru one side but gettin stuck in the other, they were hollow points. however we also shot a great many other guns at it, 30-30 strait thru 7mm thru and thru almost all of the rifles we shot were punchin holes in it like butter. shotgun with anything other then slug or 00 only went in one side if that.

the hardest part many of the rounds had was gettin thru the radiator on the back.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 11-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:

Scubie
Somebody is gonna get it You are a brave man Scubie

Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #6

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I love the scene in Mr and Mrs Smith where they used the open fridge door as cover. That really cracked me up. Seriously, I would feel confident using a freezer full of meat as cover. The only other thing in my house that I would trust would be my book case full of books. Then only if it was from the side.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #7

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Trust me some of the food Glass cooks would stop a 50 at point blank range.

Scubie
Guess you'll be doing the Super Size me diet from now on huh? McD's morning noon and night

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Fridge? No. Full deep freezer? Yeah. also guns safes, bookcases, the steel filing cabinets I use for ammo storage, a chimney- and the door to the bunker. Got that at a surplus sale when they were closing down the missle silos.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know about "cover", but I know if you shoot one with a shotgun and hit the freon tube, it's loud and stuff sprays EVERYwhere. And stinks!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Maybe not good for stopping bullets, but it would make it harder to get a hit on you, and make the round less likely to cause massive damage. I'm not sure, but I think a high velocity round would most likely be slowed down a lot, making it less likely to kill you.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis