Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Friends and CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default Friends and CCW

While having dinner with several friends a few weeks ago the subject of CCW came up. Everyone saying that they felt the need to get a gun for home protection.

One lady that knows both my wife and myself carry, brought up this fact at the table, asking how hard it was to get a permit. After telling them about the class and qualification at the range everyone was asking how to get signed up for a class.

Now the local CCW instructor should love me by now as the class last weekend had 25 people in it and 20 of those were from our conversation at dinner. He was so happy that so many family members came to get CCW permits at one time that he has scheduled a safety and skill class for free for next weekend. They had 15 women and 5 men in the class that were all family members, we are getting together Saturday for the safety class and to let them shoot different guns and see what they like.

I guess you just never know where a simple conversation will lead.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

It's about time citizens are waking up and exercising their constitutional rights for personal protection.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Great story. when NRA members started the push for CCW across the nation in the 1990s it looked dim. Now to read stories like this is just great.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Today's anti-gun sentiment is really just a campaign of ignorance and fear perpetrated on the population by a very biased media.

Kudos levelcross for your assistance in gun knowledge transfer and allowing people to make their own decisions regarding firearms.

I have always said: "In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear."

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.

Tell a kid they can't have something and that will be the only thing they will think about. It's the human condition.

Do your part and lock the guns you have in your house but also give your kids the gift of knowledge. It's a gift they will thank you for.

Truth and understanding, even about evil black rifles, is far better than mystery and fear.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Today's anti-gun sentiment is really just a campaign of ignorance and fear perpetrated on the population by a very biased media.

Kudos levelcross for your assistance in gun knowledge transfer and allowing people to make their own decisions regarding firearms.

I have always said: "In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear."

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.

Tell a kid they can't have something and that will be the only thing they will think about. It's the human condition.

Do your part and lock the guns you have in your house but also give your kids the gift of knowledge. It's a gift they will thank you for.

Truth and understanding, even about evil black rifles, is far better than mystery and fear.
Once again I think cane is spot on, I'm my house I have a 10yo son who is very much involved in learning, safety, handling, shooting, cleaning, maintenance of all guns in the house. Teach them correctly, teach them early not only will it take the " mystery " out of them, they will respect the gun for what it is, a tool. If my son wants to see one of my guns, he knows all he has to do is ask, and does from time to time, but the more he is familarized to each one, he mostly wants to go shoot them, not handle them. And I'm proud to say id rather shoot at the range with a savy, responsible 10 yo than 90% of the yahhoos I see at the range. Canes exactly right, keep your guns a secret and it will be all the kids want to do is play with them, without training, we all are aware that scenario can end in disaster.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Once again I think cane is spot on, I'm my house I have a 10yo son who is very much involved in learning, safety, handling, shooting, cleaning, maintenance of all guns in the house. Teach them correctly, teach them early not only will it take the " mystery " out of them, they will respect the gun for what it is, a tool. If my son wants to see one of my guns, he knows all he has to do is ask, and does from time to time, but the more he is familarized to each one, he mostly wants to go shoot them, not handle them. And I'm proud to say id rather shoot at the range with a savy, responsible 10 yo than 90% of the yahhoos I see at the range. Canes exactly right, keep your guns a secret and it will be all the kids want to do is play with them, without training, we all are aware that scenario can end in disaster.
Cane's wisdom is priceless, I agree with more knowledge is a key factor in keeping everyone safe. Not just with firearms but in many different things in life. My Daughter is 25 and has been around guns, knives her whole life. She was taught as much as I know and more by her Grandpa who is retired LE.

I really like sitting around talking about guns, shooting techniques, carry methods, ammo all of it. I like when friends ask to go shooting and never turn them down, we do go in groups from time to time and have a big day of it. We often rent guns at the range just to say we shot one...still looking for a Desert Eagle .50 and a Barrett .50 LOL. But the more different guns I shoot the more I know about different kinds of recoil, triggers, sights so it is a fun way to learn.

I wish I had a picture of their faces when I told them that my wife cleans her own gun, she will clean mine too if I ask along with jewelry, but she always cleans hers.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Your CCW instructor wouldn't happen to be Chuck Elrod, would it?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #8

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross View Post

I guess you just never know where a simple conversation will lead.
That is awesome! Thank you for helping spread the love of firearms through reason and information!

One thing I would caution, and im not even saying this applies to your situation, but before I'd want someone with a CCW, I would want to make sure they are proficient with a firearm. Last thing the CCW debate needs is a newbie getting their license and trying to save the day, but instead plucks off a few innocent bystanders.

I've never been in a CCW class because I live in the land where freedom goes to die - Illinois...so i'm not sure if marksmanship is a requirement or not, just speculating.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #9

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Yes, basic marksmanship is part of the qualification in NC. 15 shots from 3,5 and 7 yards if I remember correctly...been a while. I think you need to hit paper 70 or 75% of your shots, again, been a while so I might be off a little.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same here. Me and my oldlady did the class in november and just yesterday her father, mother, two uncles, and her cousin went to take the class and are filling out the applications today.