Friend Helps Woman Being Attacked - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Friend Helps Woman Being Attacked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First, Thank you for your service USMC-03.

Second, as for people like armedanrdy I'd like to leave you with a couple quotes from individuals more eloquent than I:

"He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."
- Leonardo da Vinci

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I just don't understand some people like armedanrdy...that is the kind of person I would NEVER want to have to count on for anything in life...let alone watching my back and maybe saving my life in a bad situation. I know there's probably a ton of stories out there like this one that have gone a thousand different ways. I just thought I'd share this one, since this is a forum about firearms and personal protection. I commend someone for doing what is right and helping out at a moments notice in such situations. Not someone who will sit back and run to the internet to look up a law on what they can do, then video the victim being beaten so they have proof, then call the police and hope they show up in time, then maybe help out as nicely and politely as possible if things get really bad...only if that means they can avoid confrontation of course. I feel that I, as well as other law abiding citizens, have a duty to help someone in situations such as what my friend encountered. Not by any means saying to go around like some kind of vigilante looking for trouble and people to pull a gun on. Anyone who has taken a good concealed carry class knows what will happen if you do that. I am saying, don't be so afraid to help out a fellow human being that is being attacked and cannot defend themselves...done with my soap box now.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #23

Default wow

USMC-03: wow
Sir, I started off reading about decency, caring about another, responsibility,
understanding,
Sir, I'm excited that you have such a friend, who/whom placed himself in harms way; with the right thing in mind.

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Bottom line is, your former(?)-Marine friend stopped something bad and got that idiot taken care of peacefully. A lot of folks would have done something similar. Sadly, a lot of folks wouldn't have done anything.

And worse, a lot of folks, doing the right thing, would have been locked up for drawing down on the douche. It all depends on if you're living in the U.S.A or if you're living in New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois, etc.

Also, thanks to who ever nuked armedanrdy. We don't need argumentative anti-semitic freaks like that here.
My comment on the previous thread was similar to this one. It was by no means my intention to take away from the couple being heroic or this gentleman's friend, but to more so give another perspective on the matter, and bring attention to the fact it does not always end with the police thanking you and sending you on your way. I won't make a blanket statement and say all but there are some LEO's that are not happy with civilians being able to carry(before 2006 in MI it was hard as hell to get a cpl now their giving them out like skittles). My barber had a similar situation only difference is it was in a apartment building other than that everything pretty much happened the same way,except when the cops got there they were more concerned with the fact that a gun was pulled and kept asking why he had an extended mag when it was just a plus two base plate . His weapon along with his cpl was confiscated and the guy beating his girl was taken into custody. And only did the 72hrs required. And do you know he was back by the end of the week (stupid on her part but that's usually what happens). No gun No cpl for almost a year living across from the guy he pointed the gun at. I don't think it was held for a year as punishment but the court system decides what's priority and what isn't. Anyhow I'm glad your friend is ok he was very brave. Just trying to give the thread some balance,not trying to upset anyone. Thank You

Last edited by gunsavy; 12-14-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add text

Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03 View Post
The other thread about the woman in Ohio made me decide to post this story. Couple months ago my buddy I served in the Marines with called me and told me about the events that had taken place earlier that day.

Said he was sitting at home enjoying his day off when he happened to look outside to see his neighbor beating his wife in their driveway, while their child sat in the car having to watch all this. He quickly grabbed his pistol, told his girlfriend to call the police, and ran outside, yelling at the man to "knock that s**t off" he said the guy then turned and started walking toward him telling him to "mind his own f-ing business and get back inside before something bad happened" at this point he presented his pistol and chambered a round, telling the guy "I've served as a Marine infantryman a long time and have no problem at all killing you" he said it was almost commical how fast the guy's facial expression changed when he saw the gun and heard this. The guy then put his hands up and started backing away saying "it's cool man" my friend then held him for police, who thanked my friend for stopping the attack in a cool manner, where no one was injured or worse. They then took the man, who was a repeat offender off to jail. Of course, he really wouldn't have shot the man unless he absolutely had to, the important thing is seeing the gun and hearing what would happen made the bad guy lose all desire to beat his wife or anyone else, and the situation was resolved.

I don't understand what's wrong with people. What kind pf a low life not only beats his wife, but does so in front of their child? I was glad there are still good people out there like my buddy who are willing to help in such situations.
Thank your friend for his service and for being a stand up guy all around. We need more like him.

I was taught that three things must be present in order to use a firearm.

AOJ or Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy.

Did the attacker have the Ability to kill or seriously injure someone? Yes

Did the attacker have the Opportunity to kill or seriously injure someone? Yes

Was someone's life in Jeopardy? Yes

Your friend did the right thing by the state I reside in laws.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
please don't qualify all NY people the same as "armed and not ready" I've carried concealed in NYS for over 30 years and served in vietnam where yes I did get shot at and yes I have gone to the rescue of a woman with nothing but a wood chisel in my hand. I have also backed up the local PD while they waited for the sheriff since we live in a very small rural town. Not a hero but I have a moral code to live by not a penal code,
Quoted for truth. Words for every sheepdog to live by.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #27

Forgive me for going back to the topic....

First, USMC...Thank you for your service, and I am glad you are home safe.

Second....though I am a firm believer in minding my own business 99.9% of the time (since I retired and no longer get paid to mind other folk's business)...abusing children or women is still one time when I will step in.

I believe your buddy acted with a pure heart and did the right thing. He may not have done the legal thing in some jurisdictions. Here in AZ, acting in defense of an innocent rhird party IS legal, so he'd be good.

You may want to suggest to him that if he ever finds himself in a similar situation to change his wording a little bit though. I am not criticizing him or his actions, please don't take it that way....but giving voice to the "kill" word CAN land one in trouble. Remember, in NO self defense situation are we "shooting to kill"...we are "shooting to stop". If the subject happens to expire as a result of wounds HE FORCED YOU TO INFLICT UPON HIM WHILE TRYING TO STOP HIM...well then, shame on him. A d-bag prosecutor who is looking to notch his belt could and would use that to hang your friend with an agg-assault case.

My personal belief is that males (I hesitate to call a male who beats a woman or a child a "man") who abuse those weaker than themselves are cowardly dirtballs with no integrity, ethics, or character. They are extremely easy to frighten (23 years behind a badge dealing with them) even if you aren't a cop, and will most often wilt like a lilly when confronted by an alpha male (or female for that matter).

So, I am glad it turned out well and the officers who showed up had some street savvy and didn't try to put your friend in a trick bag.

Semper Fi Marine. God bless you and all who served.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Forgive me for going back to the topic....

First, USMC...Thank you for your service, and I am glad you are home safe.

Second....though I am a firm believer in minding my own business 99.9% of the time (since I retired and no longer get paid to mind other folk's business)...abusing children or women is still one time when I will step in.

I believe your buddy acted with a pure heart and did the right thing. He may not have done the legal thing in some jurisdictions. Here in AZ, acting in defense of an innocent rhird party IS legal, so he'd be good.

You may want to suggest to him that if he ever finds himself in a similar situation to change his wording a little bit though. I am not criticizing him or his actions, please don't take it that way....but giving voice to the "kill" word CAN land one in trouble. Remember, in NO self defense situation are we "shooting to kill"...we are "shooting to stop". If the subject happens to expire as a result of wounds HE FORCED YOU TO INFLICT UPON HIM WHILE TRYING TO STOP HIM...well then, shame on him. A d-bag prosecutor who is looking to notch his belt could and would use that to hang your friend with an agg-assault case.

My personal belief is that males (I hesitate to call a male who beats a woman or a child a "man") who abuse those weaker than themselves are cowardly dirtballs with no integrity, ethics, or character. They are extremely easy to frighten (23 years behind a badge dealing with them) even if you aren't a cop, and will most often wilt like a lilly when confronted by an alpha male (or female for that matter).

So, I am glad it turned out well and the officers who showed up had some street savvy and didn't try to put your friend in a trick bag.

Semper Fi Marine. God bless you and all who served.
I agree that using the word "kill" probably wasn't the smartest thing...I'm sure he knows that too. I imagine it was one of the instances where you say what you're thinking, not thinking before you say it. I have not been, and I hope to never be in that situation, so it is hard for me to say I'd have my wording down when the adrenaline is flowing. I do agree that some D-bag prosecuter could probably have a hay day with that though.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #29

Your Jarhead boy is a stand up guy and I'm always pleased when things like this occur. the female is okay and he was well received by law enforcement. Good day for all!

and thanks to the mods for finally getting rid of andy. damn fool!

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Most would have hidden in their home and watched. A few would have called police. Only a handful of people have the character and courage to do what your buddy did.

He is to be commended for his actions!
This is sad but true