Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Frangible Bullets a choice for Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Frangables like the compressed powdered metal bullets usualy only break up hitting hard surfaces, not drywall generaly. I saw a photo of a guys leg that had frang ammo ricochet of a concret floor & wall and come right back at him in chunks.

I carry a couple glaser safety slugs in my guns along with cor-bon pow'r ball. I only use the safety slugs because they are "less" penatrative, they will still go through drywall, just not as many layers as a standard bullet.

On a side note many people don't understand that safety slugs aren't designed to be one shot killers like standard hallow point ammo, which people tend to get hung up on talking about FBI penitration standards etc.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:02 AM   #12

my tests have shown me that anything except really hard stuff like steel will actually let frangible bullets passthrough just like a fmj. PREFRAGMENTED loads like glasers may very well not penetrate enough to do the business, which is disrupt something that the person being shot can't live without.that said, a Glaser through the lungs will cause a lot of bleeding....

If it were me, i would spend the extra time/money on more training. Ball int the right place is a lot more effective than fancy ammo two inches to the right of whee you need to aim. I always carry hollow points in my 1911 and my cz75b, but flat points in my 44 mag. I shot a cou[ple of freezer hogs in the head with plain win 230 grain hps, and it did the job, but I normally would have had the magnum when working with livestock, in case i had to shoot he south end of a north bound hog on afterburner. 310 grain flat point will go end to end on 600 pound hog, or near 2000 lbs steer. 45 hollow point goes a little over half the way through the head. Shot placement trumps everything.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post
my tests have shown me that anything except really hard stuff like steel will actually let frangible bullets passthrough just like a fmj. PREFRAGMENTED loads like glasers may very well not penetrate enough to do the business, which is disrupt something that the person being shot can't live without.that said, a Glaser through the lungs will cause a lot of bleeding....

If it were me, i would spend the extra time/money on more training. Ball int the right place is a lot more effective than fancy ammo two inches to the right of whee you need to aim. I always carry hollow points in my 1911 and my cz75b, but flat points in my 44 mag. I shot a cou[ple of freezer hogs in the head with plain win 230 grain hps, and it did the job, but I normally would have had the magnum when working with livestock, in case i had to shoot he south end of a north bound hog on afterburner. 310 grain flat point will go end to end on 600 pound hog, or near 2000 lbs steer. 45 hollow point goes a little over half the way through the head. Shot placement trumps everything.
I agree with you. Training is the best medicine. I wouldn't worry about what kind of ammo a person has, except for maybe if they have hollow points or full metal jackets.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.