Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Frangible Bullets a choice for Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Frangible Bullets a choice for Home Defense?

I mention Frangible Bullets and Home Defense in the title of this forum thread. When I mention Home, I'm mostly mentioning an apartment.

As for Frangible Bullets, does anyone have an opinion on these as a home defense choice?

What I mean to say is that I assume Frangible Bullets give confidence that maybe it won't go through a wall into your neighbor, but are Frangible bullets a good stopping round as well? I have a 9mm pistol as one of my home defense guns. My .40 caliber is for concealed carry.

Let me know what you guys think.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8306 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Frankly, MOST frangibles would not be my first choice- two reasons- very LIGHT bullets (typical 9mm Luger is 100 grains) and very limited penetration. Rounds like the Glaser are considered frangibles, but most are intended for training, steel plate matches, etc. And two layers of drywall are not going to stop a 9mm, frangible or ball.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

C3 is correct on what he stated. Frangibles are becoming popular at ranges due to the lead problems. As far a home defense round, I am gonna say it will depend on your choice of firearm or shotty. In this case, bigger may be better. The ballistics can almost be the same and your firearm shoots cooler and cleaner than traditional projectiles with increased velocities at reduced pressures. That being said, it would penetrate Sheetrock, if you miss your target and they do make hollow points. Either way, for range or home defense bullet, I would not want to be shot in the ass with one. Here's a link go and see what ya think.

Jack

Frangible Bullets

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Frankly, MOST frangibles would not be my first choice- two reasons- very LIGHT bullets (typical 9mm Luger is 100 grains) and very limited penetration. Rounds like the Glaser are considered frangibles, but most are intended for training, steel plate matches, etc. And two layers of drywall are not going to stop a 9mm, frangible or ball.
I didn't think that 9mm was that underpowered. It makes sense I guess. I understand what you are saying. Is Glaser a good choice? Something that won't go through the wall, but is highly effective as an anti-personnell round?
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
C3 is correct on what he stated. Frangibles are becoming popular at ranges due to the lead problems. As far a home defense round, I am gonna say it will depend on your choice of firearm or shotty. In this case, bigger may be better. The ballistics can almost be the same and your firearm shoots cooler and cleaner than traditional projectiles with increased velocities at reduced pressures. That being said, it would penetrate Sheetrock, if you miss your target and they do make hollow points. Either way, for range or home defense bullet, I would not want to be shot in the ass with one. Here's a link go and see what ya think.

Jack

Frangible Bullets
Right on. I read your link and it sounds very impressive. I'd have to ask around and see what other people think, but I'm sure I'll get more people's opinions here on this forum thread.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I don't see how you could have a round that will stop/kill a person yet won't penetrate sheetrock.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know, it is confusing, but like in a up close and personal situation like a home break-in, It would be probably no more than 1 foot to 5 foot away, and I don't know about all the new types of rounds out there, but if a round is touted to not penetrate, then why are you using them?

You have to take into consideration on how thick the clothing the person coming at you might have on and if it does not penetrate effectively, you just might pis them off. Of course you do want to penetrate enough that the BG takes notice and stops and that is the whole point of shooting, isn't it? Of course a head shot will stop them right there, but will a frangible do the job at 1 to 2 ft? I know a 230gr will do the job, but at that distance it will pass through.

So just what kind will stop at the distances I stated and will not effectively pass through and will stop with the required power. I do know that when I was shot, it was about 15/30 min before I realized, remember thinking I was pissing on myself and looked and saw the blood. Although the ADRENALIN probably had a lot to do with it, all I am saying is that I didn't feel it until the conflict was over.

Of course we did not have all the exotic rounds that we have now.

Layton

Last edited by layton; 09-11-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Much of this discussion can not be blanketed, because of the range of temperatures, and the clothing associated, in those environments.

If someone is breaking into Cane's house in July, or my place in January, the clothing they would be wearing will differ DRAMATICALLY.

When I was in Indy/Chicago, I carried .230gr ball, because I wanted the extra penetration to get through a couple of layers of clothing, which frequently was an undershirt, an overshirt and some sort of jacket.

Having a sub-powered 9mm hollowpoint, in that same condition, would lead to the round expanding too soon and not giving you the penetration you are looking for.

As for Glaser, it's a nice design, but it's not what I would consider a great "stopping" round unless you are shooting someone in either A) An Airplane or B) direct barrel to skin transfer with no clothing in-between.

A real good hollow point, with some force behind it, should begin to expand after it hits it's first layer of protection, so by the time it's entering the skin, it's expanded no more than 10% of 15%, so the real trauma is dumped into the assailant.

This is what I carry, and here are two photos of the "after" projectile in 9mm and .45 ACP

win-ranger.jpg   9mm-ranger.jpg   .45-ranger.jpg  

Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #9

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Much of this discussion can not be blanketed, because of the range of temperatures, and the clothing associated, in those environments.

If someone is breaking into Cane's house in July, or my place in January, the clothing they would be wearing will differ DRAMATICALLY.

When I was in Indy/Chicago, I carried .230gr ball, because I wanted the extra penetration to get through a couple of layers of clothing, which frequently was an undershirt, an overshirt and some sort of jacket.

Having a sub-powered 9mm hollowpoint, in that same condition, would lead to the round expanding too soon and not giving you the penetration you are looking for.

As for Glaser, it's a nice design, but it's not what I would consider a great "stopping" round unless you are shooting someone in either A) An Airplane or B) direct barrel to skin transfer with no clothing in-between.

A real good hollow point, with some force behind it, should begin to expand after it hits it's first layer of protection, so by the time it's entering the skin, it's expanded no more than 10% of 15%, so the real trauma is dumped into the assailant.

This is what I carry, and here are two photos of the "after" projectile in 9mm and .45 ACP
Wish I could get my .22 rounds to expand like that!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #10

I use Winchester's Supreme series Hollow Points. These were recently made the FBI's Standard Service Round.