FMJ - Pistol Defence Ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > FMJ - Pistol Defence Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
one thing I always wondered was this. if you use a fmj it will penetrate deeper and maybe even go through. wouldnt a bullet that went the whole way though be better because it is a longer wound and the guy will bleed out faster. also with the fmj it could penetrate enough to hit and or go through an organ.
the holy grail is the defensive round that penetrates and drops to the ground on the opposite side of the goblin inches from where he is standing.

in hunting you want penetration thru the animal i would say same rule applies to goblins.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
one thing I always wondered was this. if you use a fmj it will penetrate deeper and maybe even go through. wouldnt a bullet that went the whole way though be better because it is a longer wound and the guy will bleed out faster. also with the fmj it could penetrate enough to hit and or go through an organ.
FMJs leave small holes that tend to seal themseves up and not bleed out. Just like the reason you use a broadhead on a arrow instead of just a sharpened stick. As far as it going all the way thru, that's called "over penetrating" it's dangerous to people behind the bad guy, along with the fact that once a bullet exits the bad guy you're just wasting energy that should have been inflicted on the bad guys internals in the form of hydrostatic pressure/shock.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Last edited by Jesse17; 03-12-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

A HP makes a bigger hole as it travels through media, resulting in a greater blood loss.

All energy is stopped in the media if the bullet does not go through completely. The bigger the hole, the better the chances are of stopping the aggressor.

Google stopping power of handguns. Most of the better ones are HP's of some sort.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

As far as the OP's question about FMJ that could serve as defensive ammo, Speer loads their Lawman series to roughly the same ballistics as their SD ammo. The idea is to have practice ammo with the same recoil characteristics as a JHP load you'd carry. When I'm carrying FMJ in a 1911 - I use Speer Lawman...

Old 03-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
As far as it going all the way thru, that's called "over penetrating" it's dangerous to people behind the bad guy, along with the fact that once a bullet exits the bad guy you're just wasting energy that should have been inflicted on the bad guys internals in the form of hydrostatic pressure/shock.
ive seen hydrostatic shock in action last december. shot a doe at 125 yards with my 458SOCOM. the scope was way off from bouncing around in a four wheeler all day. the aimpoint was center of the ribcage in the heart lung area. bullet impacted in front of the rear legs under the spine. the shock from the bullet alone killed the deer. on cleaning the shot missed all bones and it was a clean 45cal hole through non-critical tissue no major vessels hit. the hydrostatic shockwave hitting the spinal cord is what killed it.

i believe you need a bullet that will penetrate far enough into the goblin body for that shock to hit a vital central nervous juncture. soft tissue is only pushed around by 9mm 45acp 40sw bullet speeds it takes a VERY big bullet to see tissue destruction from hydrostatic shock.

deer i have shot with a 308 in the heart lung area most internal organs are undamaged from the shock effect. blood loss and time brought the animal down. deer i have shot with a slower heavier bullet as in 458 winmag 350grn. most internal organs are turned into a soup with nothing recognizable left dropping the deer instantly. both kill deer effectively but the effects from a slower heavier bullet are magnitudes greater than a lighter faster bullet. when shooting deer in the heart/lung area. shoot a deer there with a 30cal your gonna be tracking. shoot same spot with a big slower bullet it drops.

from years of deer hunting with 45 caliber heavy bullets compairing them to faster lighter 30cal rifle bullets convinced me that for SD the biggest diameter heaviest bullet i could get for SD is ideal.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
As far as the OP's question about FMJ that could serve as defensive ammo, Speer loads their Lawman series to roughly the same ballistics as their SD ammo. The idea is to have practice ammo with the same recoil characteristics as a JHP load you'd carry. When I'm carrying FMJ in a 1911 - I use Speer Lawman...
Good point. So would it be safe to say from your comment that I could buy some expensive HP for SD or other use, but practice with a FMJ that is cheaper but loaded to the same hotness and bullet weight?

I've always figured I should "practice with what I plan to use". in which case HP is too hard for me to do due to laws. But if other people find that this is effective... it could be something.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 03-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Good point. So would it be safe to say from your comment that I could buy some expensive HP for SD or other use, but practice with a FMJ that is cheaper but loaded to the same hotness and bullet weight?

I've always figured I should "practice with what I plan to use". in which case HP is too hard for me to do due to laws. But if other people find that this is effective... it could be something.
I think that's what most people do even if they have easy access to HP, simply because of the cost factor.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000