FMJ for concealed carry? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > FMJ for concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Did you know that 6 out of 7 people shot by a handgun survive?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Do you know when you post incomplete "facts" you are bordering on liberal progressiveness?

Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #22

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

As far as speed being the enemy of a hollow point bullet? That kind of thinking is about 20 years behind the times. Modern bullets utilize "controlled expansion". The size and volume of the hollow cavity and the design of the serrations in the jacket are carefully thought out to allow for expansion AND penetration at expected impact velocities.
I trust FMJs much more than HPs. Do some ballistics tests. If you don't have

gelatin, try soaking wet phone books. Actual results, VS claims, may be a

real eye opener. The FMJ pretty much does what you expect it to.

HPs are a different game entirely.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another thing to consider is that over the last several years, the ammo makers and the bullet makers have been putting a lot of research and development into SD bullets and ammo. many of them are trying to optimize velocity and expansion for optimum results for the round to perform as needed when needed.

IMO, bullets and ammo for SD usage have come quite a ways over the last several years. what use to be better for SD is not always the case today.

my suggestions is still going to be to try out whatever you are thinking of using for SD to see for yourself how it performs. IMO, most SD from all the major ammo makers should perform quite well for most people and most uses.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3275 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I trust FMJs much more than HPs. Do some ballistics tests. If you don't have

gelatin, try soaking wet phone books. Actual results, VS claims, may be a

real eye opener. The FMJ pretty much does what you expect it to.

HPs are a different game entirely.
I have a good friend who is a ballistics examiner for a major LE agency. He has personally looked at over 100 Speer Gold Dots fired into people. 100% expanded properly, retained 100% of their weight and penetrated properly. I TRUST Speer God Dots, period!
People Like This 
Old 04-25-2014, 03:29 AM   #25

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
As to "speed" and HPs, when you are talking FPS, speed is the HPs

enemy. A HP expands much better at 45ACP speeds-@850 FPS, vs

@1400FPS of faster, smaller calibers.
It really depends on the hardness of the bullet material. An example would be a 9mm Federal Hi Shok. In a standard load often the Hi Shok bullet will fail to expand. Yet, you take the exact same Hi Shok bullet and put it in a 9mm +p load it will expand perfectly every time.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default FMJ for concealed carry?

John, funny you should mention the "Hi-Shok's." I have 2 full boxes of the Std. Load + a Third box about half filled. Maybe I have shot Gelatin 3 times my entire life, but I have done in Lots of Wet phone books, wooden bowling pins, and Melons. They(Hi Shoks) aren't as good as even Federals on Hydra Shoks, or other Plus P's, but they are better then heavier 147Gr. And even some 124Gr. LRN's...
Either way, I don't feel like being hit by any of them...I have nice neat holes in an old Metal Cane I was using as a target Stand, and I butterfly clip that was holding cardboard target backs onto target stakes, which has a nice neat hole in it...imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1398420001.961086.jpg
The clip was holding the target in place at the top of the Stand with two others on the sides...this ones a head shot...
The Mangled 22 was a double Charged Mini-Mag out of about 15 loose ones I had...

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1398420041.708175.jpg

And these were center mass...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-25-2014 at 10:04 AM.
wittmeba Likes This 
Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #27

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

My pellet rifle will ventilate that aluminum cane. Can we see something new?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #28

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
well played, Sir
larry_cable_guy_thats_funny_right_t.jpg  

Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #29

Liked 2449 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 559

I have moved to pretty much nothing but HP ammo for carry. But a lot of that is based on newer bullet designs. Companies like Hornady, Speer, and Winchester have gone pretty far in devleoping bullets for specific calibers and velocity ranges. They use tougher jackets, selected lead and jacket alloys for hardness, bonded jackets, tapered jackets, reverse tapered jackets, all to try to attain proper penetration while getting predictable expansion and weight retention. Some loads, even in the same caliber and bullet weight may use differnt powders and bullet construction for short barreled guns. Things have come a long way since the days of Nyclads, Silvertips, and flying ashtrays.

I typically go with Gold Dots, or Winchester Ranger T loads. They feed reliably, they are very consistent in accuracy, which are my first two priorities, The tests I have done in Gel, water jugs, wet news print, and wet cloth, have shown these bullets to penetrate well, retain bullet weight and jacket integrety and expand reliably. As long as they feed reliably and hit accurately, the next worst thing they can do is fail to expand, and then I'm no worse off than using an FMJ.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #30
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

The next time I go out I'll take new pics for ya John! Staying In this weekend cause it's gonna Rain

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...