You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

FMJ for concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 568 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Wow DocFootball, I believe you are the first person that I have seen on this forum that carries 4 extra mags. Nice.

I for one carry only Winchester Ranger-T's in my 1911 with one extra mag. However, a friend who has worked with SpecOps and been deployed says he carries alternate HP and FMJ in order to defeat light barriers.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3391 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default FMJ for concealed carry?

And for Ranger Duty(Volunteer Az. Ranger) or SHFT I carry 5 spare Double Stacks no matter which Gun I carry as a main, and four spares for The EDC which becomes the Back up in that situation..
I have no plans to ever run out of Ammo...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-24-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 568 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
And for Ranger Duty(Volunteer Az. Ranger) or SHFT I carry 5 spare Double Stacks no matter which Gun I carry as a main, and four spares for The EDC which becomes the Back up in that situation..

I want a picture of your belt

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #14
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3391 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default FMJ for concealed carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
I want a picture of your belt

Heh heh, Suspenders too? I usually wear a vest when I'm out in the desert, and sometimes in town unless it's stupidly Hot. I also have about 10 Belts for regular dress, a few web ones in different colors( Tan, Navy, Black) and a few stretch ones, besides a few leather ones. I carry the EDCC's in pocket holsters with extras in the Man bag or a pocket carrier or folding knife sheath. Have two that came with Maxam knifes I use on my Belt,..one for a std.7 shot, and one longer for the +1 of the ext. S&W or +2 for the LC9..
If my hands hurt that day I stick my Handi-Racker in a pocket incase I have to cycle the action quickly...
I also like cargoes, I have about 8 long pr. & a half doz. long cargo Shorts,..

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-24-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4405 Times on 2473 Posts
Likes Given: 2087

Even our LEOs miss the target when under pressure.

What is the difference of over penetration versus a miss? Both can hit a by stander.

There are numerous stories that back up "ball" ammo being used to stop the threat.

But I would use JHP. The round (in theory) expands to a larger caliber when it hits tissue. And I want the biggest hole possible if I am forced to discharge a firearm to stop the threat.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
People Like This 
Old 04-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 861 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I carry jhp and fmj with my .45 when I carry it which isn't to often. I believe the .45 does have considerable knock down power, however at center mass a 9mm can take a BG down just as well IMO.

I do like to carry my FN 5.7x28 with three 20 rd mags on a shoulder holster during cooler weather, the gun can shoot 1600-1800 fps with 40 grain and 2500 fps and higher with lower grain bullets, it will swim it a torso making it a surgeons nightmare.

I also wear a vest alot as Dr. football mentioned, they are great for ccw.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #17

Liked 1178 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

I carry the Winchester Ranger T series in my .45 . They feed well , never a issue .
If I need to dress carry" something smaller " I use my Kahr CM9 because its unnoticeable even with fitted dress clothing, I prefer the Federal Hydra Shoks in the 9mm but Im not opposed to Ranger T's either .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #18

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
For 9mm and higher I'd go hollow points

for .380 and smaller fmj for sure
The key issue for 380 and 9mmm Mak is penetration to the 12" mark, at least. Tests show that hollow points with limited expansion do well in FBI denim/gel tests. Use HP ammo that uses the Hornady XTP bullet or Federal Hydrashoks, and you'll get good penetration and some expansion. About the best you can do with the smaller calibers.
Brent
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1698 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 1685

For 35 years I used 230 grain FMJ in my Colt 45ACP. It fed well, made a big hole and was proven in combat. (I did occasionally use Speer 200gr flying ashtrays as they fed well and were effective JHPs.) Moving to 40S&W over the last few years (and sometimes 9mm) I use good JHP. I suspect standard flat nose FMJ 40S&W would do the job like round nose 45ACP but use 135-180 grain JHP, usually 165gr. For 9mm you must have hot JHP and a pistol that will feed it. Never gave much thought to 380ACP and Makarov since I've never owned them but the arguments here for FMJ make sense.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #20

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I mix both hollow points and FMJ ammo in a small caliber pistol (45 acp or smaller). I don't plan on missing. If I shoot the goblin twice with a hollow point and he is still standing my ammo is failing to get the job done for one reason or another. I have a couple FMJ rounds to penetrate to something vital or put an exit wound in the goblin if nothing else.
towboater Likes This