Florida Open Carry - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Florida Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Great to hear that Florida is doing open carry, but will Florida do open carry in general or just hunting, fishing, and camping purposes??????

IMO, I like the conceal carry better due to the element of surprise. I wouldn't want to be the first to be targeted by a bad guy when open carrying. Bad guys go for easy targets, and by having the gun on the side of you will make you an easier target.

Stay armed!

-Thao

Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Florida already allows open carry while hunting, fishing or camping.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #23

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
While I don't open carry very often - it's nice to have the option. For quick trips I "sloppily" conceal carry by clipping on a paddle holster and pulling a t-shirt over it and this would be illegal in Florida...
That is not accurate. Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq who wrote FLORIDA FIREARMS
Law, Use & Ownership Seventh Edition
(over 150,000 copies sold). FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership - Author Jon H. Gutmacher | Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer Thank Canebrake for the website. Here are some of his posts from his blog:

Quote:
Monday, November 1, 2010
Momentary "printing" of a firearm in Florida

I've received quite a few emails lately about "momentary printing". Here's one of em -- and my response:

Comment: I spoke with a gun shop clerk and he told me that it's "Brandishing" if my gun grip bulges my shirt when I bend over even though the gun is still completely covered by clothing. This has got me really concerned because I do not wish to get in trouble. Thanks

Answer:
Tell him to read my book. No way is that the law! Plus, "brandishing" is a common law crime that comes closest to "improper exhibition" in Florida, and momentary printing isn't even close to the definitions in either one. The 7th edition of the book goes into this. The new edition comes out in December.
Quote:
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Another firearm "printing" question

This seems to be the year for questions about "printing" of firearms. And, as you've guessed . . . yet another such exciting question:

Question: A casual acquaintance has tried to insist that if one is "printing", then the firearm is not considered concealed. I find that somewhat preposterous, and I didn't see anything in your book or the Florida statutes that would clarify this. Who is right?

Answer: I am right -- you are mostly right -- he is not totally wrong, but far from correct. My response is that momentary printing is not a crime, and is not "open carry". Carry in Florida is either "open carry" per 790.053, or "concealed carry" per 790.01. If you can think of a third possibility -- email me quick, cause I gotta hear that one. Anyway -- to be "open carry" it must be obvious to the casual observer as a firearm (ie: anyone would realize immediately it's a firearm)-- and you (the person carrying it) must know it is so displayed. It can't be accidental -- that would be a "lack of scienter". The 7th edition goes into this, but that comes out in December 2010. On the other hand, I guess, if you're wearing a see-thru shirt -- my answer would be different. If that's your third possibility -- don't email. Just take a couple of Tylenol -- cause you've been thinking way too much.

Hope that helps.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 11-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #24

Thanks for the info mate.

I have to say I look young I have had my CCW for a few months now I carry everyday and love it. But I have to say that when I get carded for Call of duty games at wal-mart and such thing it give me a little smile. I mean they don't think that I am 17 and forget purchasing ammo at walmart for some range fun. They tell me I have to be 21 to buy it and there is normally a very long conversation before they will fish it out of the glass for me.

Now having said that I don't think that open carry will make my life easier. Have to wear pants big enough to stick a gun down them and a shirt long enough to cover it just is not a extra easy thing to do. Of couse I do it because I can and like to have the ability to protect myself.

Of course I would still open carry if only to offend everyone in public and make those hippies angry.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default fla open carry

i grew up in miami fla. moved away 5 yrs ago to the nc where it is and has always been open carry. i dont know hwat the big deal is in my humble opinion all states should have it. and calif. ny and wash. just to name a couple should get thier heads screwed on right and voters should kick the gun theives out of office and stand up for their second ammendment rights. now i will say lsat week i had my 45 open carried in the grocery store and i do have a ccw had a fool from calif, in there who called the sheriff saying he thought their was going to be a robbery. when the sheriff showed up the guy or was he a girl pointed me out as the sheriff and i conversed i know him and also voted for him the thing had a total breakdn lol. the sheriff walked bak and told him not to worry in nc we have open carry laws the guy was stunned i couldnt help but lmao.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #26

I have never open-carried, but it is nice knowing that I could. Here in Vermont (as most know) we need no permits for open or concealed carry. There are a LOT of hardcore hippie liberal types in the greater Burlington area, where I spend most of my time, so I sometimes worry about incidents like the one wilddawg had if I were to open carry.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:41 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddawg1 View Post
i grew up in miami fla. moved away 5 yrs ago to the nc where it is and has always been open carry. i dont know hwat the big deal is in my humble opinion all states should have it. and calif. ny and wash. just to name a couple should get thier heads screwed on right and voters should kick the gun theives out of office and stand up for their second ammendment rights. now i will say lsat week i had my 45 open carried in the grocery store and i do have a ccw had a fool from calif, in there who called the sheriff saying he thought their was going to be a robbery. when the sheriff showed up the guy or was he a girl pointed me out as the sheriff and i conversed i know him and also voted for him the thing had a total breakdn lol. the sheriff walked bak and told him not to worry in nc we have open carry laws the guy was stunned i couldnt help but lmao.
Had the samething happen to me while my family and I were eating at Golden Corral after a day at the range. Some fool from out of town complained to the manager, who I have know for 10yrs, about me carrying my handgun.

So he came over and asked if I could put my handgun in my truck, which I did, the whole time he was telling me how sorry he was about it. We eat there at least twice a week becasue it is the best place to take a large family to eat. Anyway's the manager came back a few minutes later and told me how sorry he was and informed me that the police had been called.

So I told him not to worry and went outside to wait for the police to arrive. The dumb SOB followed me outside trying to talk to me about what would happen if I got mad at the cook or something and started shooting.
Anyways when the police arrived we talked about what had happened after they pulled the man to the side so we could talk with out him interupting us.
They informed him that I was with in my right to carry Open or CCW.

Come to find out he was from Kalifornia and was very anti-gun. It took 3 officers about 20 minutes trying to explain to him that the carry laws were different here in Arizona then from his state.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default fla open carry

lol would have been my last time in that restraunt if i had been going there for ten yrs and they knew me and still asked me to put my gun in my truck where wow lets say someone was watching and went out broke in took my gun and came back in and went nutz. the thing most folks dont think about if there is one or two ccw folks somewhere they are probally in the safest place they could be if a criminal was to happen in. had there been someone with a ccw at lubys or a teacher at coulimbine or VT when those crazies went wild may have had a much diffrent outcome. hell even FT HOOD would have been in better shape if our trained soldiers were allowed to actually carry a side arm on base but this government we have says they must keep all firearms locked up in the armoury only the mp's or sp's carry.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default Well, open carry is fine...

But, concealed carry is better! Florida is one of the states that recognizes an
Idaho carry permit! I love the fishing in Florida! Pop is too "old fashioned" to
see the benefit of concealed carry...but, in our home state he can carry a
sidearm as long as he is a passenger in my vehicle! (I am responsible for all
passengers in my vehicle) & as long as I have a valid ccw my vehicle is
"branded" with the "alert code"! Many "leo,s" know me as their hvac
contractor, & of the very few "newbies" that have made a traffic stop on
me, "cut me loose very quickly"!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddawg1 View Post
lol would have been my last time in that restraunt if i had been going there for ten yrs and they knew me and still asked me to put my gun in my truck where wow lets say someone was watching and went out broke in took my gun and came back in and went nutz. the thing most folks dont think about if there is one or two ccw folks somewhere they are probally in the safest place they could be if a criminal was to happen in. had there been someone with a ccw at lubys or a teacher at coulimbine or VT when those crazies went wild may have had a much diffrent outcome. hell even FT HOOD would have been in better shape if our trained soldiers were allowed to actually carry a side arm on base but this government we have says they must keep all firearms locked up in the armoury only the mp's or sp's carry.
I do not blame the manager, we were able to talk later that weekend at the range, He could not stop saying how sorry he was about what happened. He explained that he tried to talk the man out of calling the police, but he would not listen. I have still have been going to the same resturant but now my childrens friends work there and know that I carry, since I showed half of them how to shoot. That is the great thing about having 4 boys and 1 girl. (Who is the youngest of the kids)
LOTS and LOTS of range time.