Florida Open Carry - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Florida Open Carry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
It is kind of strange. I always remember it, though, because there was a story in the newspaper some years ago about a sheriff's deputy in my county who wasn't 21. His mother had to buy his ammo.

A 18 year old CAN purchase a handgun but just not from a dealer.

As far as the ammo you cant buy it unless its a rifle caliber too.

I hope we get open carry in florida but I just dont see it happening with moderate support from the gun community and overall population who can CCW.
__________________
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JJAMISON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tuscaloosa,ALABAMA
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
In Florida it is legal for an 18-year-old to possess a handgun, even though he/she may not purchase a handgun. So if you give a handgun to your 18-year-old, it's perfectly legal for him/her to have it. However, he/she can't get a CWL until the age of 21.
same here in bama. I like the prospect of responsible people carrying openly or concealed. My view is that at 18 if the federal gov can send him or her to another country and have them kill people with rifles and tanks then a handgun will be fine for carry here. idk what to think about the age restriction on purchases. kinda crazy considering you can buy a shotgun or any rifle but not a personal protection handgun. heck if i am going to a gun fight i would choose a rifle anyday over a pistol.
__________________
JJAMISON is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greenacres,Florida / Palm Beach County
Posts: 124
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Why Open Carry!

As much as I would like to be transported back to the old western era of the late 1800's and be able to ride my horse from town to town with my Colt on my hip, I just do not see the need for open carry in this day and age. However I do think and believe if a law abiding citizen is able to buy a gun, then they should be able to carry concealed without having to purchase a permit. I just don't see why someone has the need to carry a gun so everyone can see the gun. I really feel this is just plain silly and it will create more problems for us gun owners. I have heard all the arguments for and against but as a gun lover and a person who carried one on duty for 12 years, I just can't convince myself that this is a good idea. I think we should put all our efforts into the fight to Keep and Bear Arms instead of pushing the issue for open carry. Does one really have the need to show everyone that he has a gun, well I don't think so. //END//

__________________
SK2344 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JJAMISON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tuscaloosa,ALABAMA
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
As much as I would like to be transported back to the old western era of the late 1800's and be able to ride my horse from town to town with my Colt on my hip, I just do not see the need for open carry in this day and age. However I do think and believe if a law abiding citizen is able to buy a gun, then they should be able to carry concealed without having to purchase a permit. I just don't see why someone has the need to carry a gun so everyone can see the gun. I really feel this is just plain silly and it will create more problems for us gun owners. I have heard all the arguments for and against but as a gun lover and a person who carried one on duty for 12 years, I just can't convince myself that this is a good idea. I think we should put all our efforts into the fight to Keep and Bear Arms instead of pushing the issue for open carry. Does one really have the need to show everyone that he has a gun, well I don't think so. //END//

I do.

on duty... now for 15+ years.

I still conceal when off duty.
__________________
JJAMISON is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default

While I don't open carry very often - it's nice to have the option. For quick trips I "sloppily" conceal carry by clipping on a paddle holster and pulling a t-shirt over it and this would be illegal in Florida...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clarksville,TN
Posts: 3
Default

In my opinion if you can purchace it you should be allowed to carry it any way you want to. I actually like Kentuckys laws OpenCarry.org lists them as a gold star state anyone 18+ can legally carry open with no permits, no fees, no b.s. You still have to apply to carry concealed. I always loved visiting family and friends in KY when I was younger.

__________________
TNScott is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
While I don't open carry very often - it's nice to have the option. For quick trips I "sloppily" conceal carry by clipping on a paddle holster and pulling a t-shirt over it and this would be illegal in Florida...

I agree, our CCW laws here in Florida leave something to be desired.

And Open Carry combined with Concealed would DEFINITELY put a damper on some BG's.

We have currently...Concealed Carry, one of the most relaxed Castle Doctrine Laws...and 10-20-LIFE,
which is putting away bad guys permanently
Our crime rate has dropped steadily since these laws have been activated.

Legal gun owners carrying both openly & concealed would have a additional chilling effect on criminals.

Concealed is great, don't get me wrong, but there needs to be some OPEN-ness in this society.

I'm tired of hiding my guns.
__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daoust_Nat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando,Florida
Posts: 2,175
Liked 1300 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Default

I was just in Toronto, Ontario, which has some of the most repressive gun laws around. I was told that even if someone has broken into your home, if they are attacking your wife, you are not allowed to shoot them. The attack has to be on you to justify a shooting. While I was there a home invasion occured that wounded two. Compared to that, what we have in Florida is great.

A couple of the more anti-gun people suggested that we were all down here shooting one another. I told them no, in fact as the gun laws have loosened the crime rate has dropped. I told them a lot of Floridians would have been shooting back, which is making the bad boys think a bit. After all any bullet wound to a home invader probably means a trip to the hospital, which would be a trip to jail.

__________________
Daoust_Nat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JJAMISON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tuscaloosa,ALABAMA
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
I agree, our CCW laws here in Florida leave something to be desired.

And Open Carry combined with Concealed would DEFINITELY put a damper on some BG's.

We have currently...Concealed Carry, one of the most relaxed Castle Doctrine Laws...and 10-20-LIFE,
which is putting away bad guys permanently
Our crime rate has dropped steadily since these laws have been activated.

Legal gun owners carrying both openly & concealed would have a additional chilling effect on criminals.

Concealed is great, don't get me wrong, but there needs to be some OPEN-ness in this society.

I'm tired of hiding my guns.
I never realized FL was so strict on concealed carry. technically concealed carry is when 75% of the gun is "covered". Here you can throw on the ole paddle holster and put a jacket or loose shirt over it and it is acceptable.
__________________
JJAMISON is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TnRebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kingsport,Tennessee
Posts: 65
Likes Given: 11

Default

So for the Bone Head to say that an 18 year old should be allowed to walk down the street with his gun on his hip... is just stupid. It is idiots like this guy who fuel the Anti Gun nazis theory that we are ALL wackos.[/QUOTE]

Actually the column auther is a shooter. He may have gotten a fact wrong, but he is on our side.[/QUOTE]

but its OK for that same 18 year old to put his life on the line for you in combat in a far away land of sand and desert ? When he has had some of the best firearm training in the world.... just saying

__________________
TnRebel is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Possible open carry for Florida-Vote Scott michigan0626 Legal and Activism 12 11-05-2010 07:01 PM
Open Carry for Florida....hopefully michigan0626 General Handgun Discussion 9 10-30-2010 04:26 PM
So you want to open carry? opaww General Handgun Discussion 3 06-15-2010 05:55 PM
Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate Tony Soprano The Club House 31 08-06-2009 05:23 AM