Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Florida Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1079 Times on 534 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Florida Open Carry

There is some noise being made down here for Florida to change to the Arizona open carry regulations. Naturally that has got people taking sides. What I am pasting in was a letter in the Orlando Sentinel to a columnist. It is pretty funny. One comment is attached by someone who in my opinion is way over the top as a anti gun Nazi. The rest of the uncopied comments were pretty much split in half when I read the letter. For those that don't know of Winter Park, it is a high-rent district outside of Orlando.

From the Orlando Sentinel -

A guide to openly carrying your gun in chic Winter Park.
This is funny stuff from Dave in Winter Park…

MIKE
Loved your column on the legal battle for open carry moving to Florida. As a strong Second Amendment supporter, it is a discussion worth having.

My REAL concern however, is how this may impact the fashion world. Consider the following situations-
- It SHOULD be obvious to anyone that you would never mix a black leather holster with brown shoes. But how can we easily or tastefully introduce Kydex or ballistic nylon into our apparel? Is there hi-tech chic?

- On a more formal note – is it proper etiquette to wear a black gun before dinner?
- What about wearing a stainless steel handgun with gold jewelry?
- And how do you address the effect a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig will have on the contours of a linen sport coat?
- FINALLY – is the open carry just for handguns or would it also apply to shoulder fired weapons? If it does – would locking a bayonet onto ones Springfield M1A be just accessorizing, a display of survivalist chic or a violation against carrying displayed edged weapons?

As you can see – this is NOT trivial stuff. I hope you can shed some light on this topic soon, so we can all avoid the mine field of fashion faux pas. Perhaps an interview with an apparel expert could be a topic for a future column!

Keep it up!
Dave T.
Winter Park

A comment from one reader -
"Gun-toting nutjobs. This country is backwards and uncivilized,, no wonder the rest of mankind hates us."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here is the column that inspired that letter I put into the last post.

//www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/views/os-mike-thomas-open-carry-102110-20101020,0,7619137.column

Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #3

I too find the "Open Carry"issue amusing. I would prefer an environment similar to Vermont. Where any adult, with no felony convictions (and maybe a few other restrictions like sleeping in a padded room....) can carry a handgun concealed.

The crime reducing effect of carrying a handgun lies in the UNKNOWN. Thugs don't commit crimes against people who they THINK might be carrying.

The fashion piece I though was a hoot. I just ordered a black belt so the black "J" hooks on my Crossbreed holster don't stand out as they do on by brown one.... LOL i guess I am a Fashionista.

The original editorial was interesting, but I noticed one small fact, and I say FACT that was skipped over by the writer and maybe should be brought to his attention.

While the Supreme court has allowed the right to carry concealed to remain a State's right, ownership of ANY firearm remains a Federally controlled issue because of the interstate commerce nature of the firearms industry. 21 for handguns and 18 for long guns.

So for the Bone Head to say that an 18 year old should be allowed to walk down the street with his gun on his hip... is just stupid. It is idiots like this guy who fuel the Anti Gun nazis theory that we are ALL wackos.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

That was a good one on fashion! I accessorize which gun I want to carry and which holster I want to wear all the time. The wife things its funny as hell!
As for that anti gunner they're idiots! It'll be nice to have open carry here.

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[/QUOTE]So for the Bone Head to say that an 18 year old should be allowed to walk down the street with his gun on his hip... is just stupid. It is idiots like this guy who fuel the Anti Gun nazis theory that we are ALL wackos.[/QUOTE]

Actually the column auther is a shooter. He may have gotten a fact wrong, but he is on our side.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post

So for the Bone Head to say that an 18 year old should be allowed to walk down the street with his gun on his hip... is just stupid. It is idiots like this guy who fuel the Anti Gun nazis theory that we are ALL wackos.
Funny, there are plenty of 18, 19, and 20 year olds open carrying in Virginia. Still no blood in the streets

Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
In Florida it is legal for an 18-year-old to possess a handgun, even though he/she may not purchase a handgun. So if you give a handgun to your 18-year-old, it's perfectly legal for him/her to have it. However, he/she can't get a CWL until the age of 21.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
In Florida it is legal for an 18-year-old to possess a handgun, even though he/she may not purchase a handgun. So if you give a handgun to your 18-year-old, it's perfectly legal for him/her to have it. However, he/she can't get a CWL until the age of 21.
I stand corrected.

Kind of silly though, unless it was done that way, just waiting for a supreme court challenge.... Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
I stand corrected.

Kind of silly though, unless it was done that way, just waiting for a supreme court challenge.... Thanks for setting me straight.
It is kind of strange. I always remember it, though, because there was a story in the newspaper some years ago about a sheriff's deputy in my county who wasn't 21. His mother had to buy his ammo.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
It is kind of strange. I always remember it, though, because there was a story in the newspaper some years ago about a sheriff's deputy in my county who wasn't 21. His mother had to buy his ammo.
I don't remember the story, but I did witness something first hand at shop I used to go to. I think now there's away around it through Department documentation or something. Key word I think!
[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL