Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry' - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Il is the most abusive state in the U.S. in terms of laws and restriction of citizens' rights, and has the highest number of criminals per capita. But I guess the anti-gun legislation is there to keep the streets safe for criminals.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #72

Default reply to ofcfriendly

The only time a LEO is allowed to break traffic laws is if he is code 3, lights and siren. Otherwise he is bound by the same rules as anyone else. Whether a fellow officer would ticket him for breaking those laws is an entirely different thread.
But drawing down on someone who is legally open carrying a weapon would be an overreaction. In Illinois you might be ok cuz you don't allow citizens to exercise their constitutional rights and seeing a holstered weapon is quite unusual. But in an environment where open carry is allowed it may not be quite so unusual and I should think drawing down on them might be considered less than appropriate considering the environment.
I don't generally like open-carry cuz I think it upsets the sheeple and makes them uncomfortable. But legal is legal and should not be denied by a police officer just cuz he may not "like" it.

mtmag

Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #73

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

I live in Florida and I can tell you, before a heck of a lot of deputies I know start playing pistol duels with folks who care a lot about shooting, the deputies are gonna need to sharpen their shooting skills.

I was at a training with a soon to retire deputy a few months ago and the guy could not qualify at 50' with his duty weapon. To pass the course the instructor had to get this bozo a .22 target pistol and hold his freaking hand.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #74

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk1946 View Post
Florida Sheriffs announce they will 'Draw down' on anyone with an open carry. The sheriff says 'Look for tragedies, as deputies won't hesitate if they feel threatened.
I suspect there is a "racial barometer" involved in this tactic. My brother lives in Homestead. Fla and ever since Carter allowed castro to empty his prisons and insane asylums into the floatilla that landed in Florida, the locals have been getting carry permits in droves..... and the counties I know of encourage it for the law abiding citizens. I suspect the police focus for gun crackdowns will be looking towards the scum of the earth that washed ashore some time back.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #75

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you are old enough to remember Police Depts. before Police Unions you could recall dedicated Police Officers. The Police Unions like the Teachers Unions Fire Fighters Unions Etc. have caused a disconnect with the average citizen. They seemed to only be responsive to the desires of their union leaders. Too bad.