Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry' - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
Hearing any LEO claim they will draw down on any law abiding citizen for open carrying is crazy. That scares the hell out of me honestly, though I live in Florida but do not open carry or have plans to ever. The police are making a mistake by taking an offensive action (drawing down) on citizens, especially when they are not breaking any laws. It's an unnecessary risk that puts more people in danger if anything.

How about the idiot police chief that says it on national TV

Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

This guy was all opinion, seemed like a desk jockey. I disagree with him, and he didn't have a lot of solid info to back himself up. EVERYONE should be able to open or concealed carry. End of story.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Open Carry is no "Threat" to LE

As several others have said, the vast majority of criminals carry concealed and 99% don NOT carry in a holster. I'm a LEO and don't feel in the last bit "threatened" by a normal citizen carrying openly....a lot of citizens, however do. Despite there being no statute against open carry in public while afoot many LEOs will tell open carriers they MUST get a permit and their handgun MUST be carried CONCEALED....unless they are a LEO or private security guard.

On a bet (which I won) I wore a 1911 in a Safariland pancake holster openly in a major city in Alabama with a generic badge with "Security Enforcement Officer" inscribed on it. I went into several stores and ate at two restaurants, including one displaying a sign reading "No Firearms Allowed" with the individual in tow with whom I'd made the bet. I didn't go into any bars or nightclubs and didn't go into known drug areas.

I collected my $50 after successfully wearing a handgun openly in a city (whose officers regularly arrest people carrying openly who aren't breaking any law for "Disorderly Conduct" because "a lot of people are alarmed when they see someone besides a cop or security guard wearing a gun"). I saw and spoke with more than one LEO that day, one in passing and two in the restaurant with the sign reading "Firearms Not Allowed". I spoke to them first in a friendly manner and was treated the same. Nobody asked me who I worked for (I really was working as a private security guard and had a business card if asked) and nobody was "alarmed".

I am of the opinion that most people are "scared" of guns because they are ignorant about them, or "alarmed" at seeing anybody without a visible badge openly wearing one. Why? Because they've been trained to (read lied to) believe that "only LEOs and security guards can carry openly".

With that being said, I can't think of any good reason to open carry unless you have to. I do in uniform, outside of that I carry concealed. I've seen several gun shop owners and employees carrying openly inside their shops. I suppose it COULD be a deterrent, but if I were a thug wanting to rob the place they'd be the first people shot, just like I know I'd be in uniform. The same thing goes for private security guards or off duty LEOs working as "security" somewhere. They are there as a deterrent first and foremost, but to any thug planning to commit a violent crime they're a threat. I sure don't see them as being "a threat" to me. IF thugs ever start carrying openly in holsters I would, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #34

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Directed towards OfcFriendly.

I tried looking for a case law but could not remember where I found it. It was a case that upheld the legality of lethat/deadly force against law enforcement. Im a leo, and I see no justification in "drawing down" on an open carrier. And the sheriff's comment "Look for tragedies, as deputies won't hesitate if they feel threatened." How about I wont hestitate if I feel threatened while being drawn down on for open carrying. If the cop is getting real nervous and sweaty because of my protest against his abuse of power and unlawful orders and looks like he might cross a line that he cant take back, "Tried by 12, instead of carried by 6"

If, a big if, Florida ever gets real open carry, and not this emasculated bill, the first thing I am going to do is inform all the cops in my city and the city next to me about the law. With my informing of the cops, there should be no reason for one of them to draw down on me, if they do, I know they are intentionally breaking the law.

Simply having a gun, an open gun, is not enough for RAS/PC.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Last edited by michigan0626; 05-15-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk1946 View Post
Florida Sheriffs announce they will 'Draw down' on anyone with an open carry. The sheriff says 'Look for tragedies, as deputies won't hesitate if they feel threatened.
For a Sheriff to say something like that and still be in office is amazing. If that was done or said here in Az I do not think he or she would have a job for to long. Some of my best friends are LEO's, my wife works in the LEO area. So this is just unheard of here.

If it does happen, I can just imagine what the lawyer is going to say when it goes to court.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Officers, and their agencies, in Georgia have learned humilliating lessons on treating law-abiding gun owners like criminals. There have also been setbacks, due mostly to liberal judges legislating from the bench. However, the people are slowly taking back their liberties, and will not be content to be treated as subjects.

LEO in Florida will learn. Officers may get away with acting like that for a while, but they'd better read the writing on the wall, and adjust accordingly.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #37

Sounds like improper behavior "under color of authority". So what happens when another lawful carrier shoots the Sheriff, who was posing a deadly threat to an innocent person? Geez!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The undertones of "I'm gonna shoot it out with the police," that I'm getting off some of these posts are disturbing to say the least. Escalating a police encounter does nothing to serve the interests of the 2nd Amendment. At best you end up in jail, and maybe get to sue the police for misconduct (big maybe if you contribute to the problem). At worst the incident ends in tragedy for everyone involved.

The overwhelming majority of police in this country are trying to do the right thing. They aren't always right, but that is because they are human. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and if you are mishandled let your lawyer files your complaints in civil court.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 07-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
The undertones of "I'm gonna shoot it out with the police," that I'm getting off some of these posts are disturbing to say the least. Escalating a police encounter does nothing to serve the interests of the 2nd Amendment. At best you end up in jail, and maybe get to sue the police for misconduct (big maybe if you contribute to the problem). At worst the incident ends in tragedy for everyone involved.

The overwhelming majority of police in this country are trying to do the right thing. They aren't always right, but that is because they are human. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and if you are mishandled let your lawyer files your complaints in civil court.
You hit the nail on the head Bighead, everyone wants to bad mouth cops, but when they need one they are the first to be upset because there was not one around.

LEO's have to follow procedure's and what is said is that most of them do not have a say in what they do. SO people just have to learn to stay calm when a LEO is around.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

There are good cops and bad cops, just like any other people. The bad cops are on an eternal "power trip", and would like to believe the imaginary audience they carry with them is filled with admiration for them because they have this "special status". Carrying a gun is one of their status symbols, and they resent it when a lowly private citizen dares to display the same right as them. A real cop is smart enough to know that a private citizen may save his life someday, and that armed citizens deterr crime.