Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry' - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Please re-read what I posted. I said "for no other reason".

BTW, I became a Certified LEO in 1971, and am a Certified LE Supervisor. Being commissioned is not carte blanche to threaten anyone with a firearm. The circumstances mentioned by the Sheriff quoted in the original post are NOT a Felony Stop, not a "reasonable fear of safety"- it was solely the presence of a legally carried firearm.
I apologize, no disrespect intended, although, that's what it sounded like. I myself only have 5 years experience, and I thrive on the experience of more veteran officers. Again, I apologize.

"Go to college. Get an education. Understand the law, the profession and our constitution so you understand your responsibility to the people and the trust you are granted – and to stay true to it."
-Sheriff Dave Brown

"Guns don't kill people, it's the projectile flying out of the loud end of the gun at 1300 fps that kills them."
-ME

Work- Sig Sauer P229- .40 cal
Off duty- Ruger LCP- .380 ACP
Kimber Tact. Pro II- .45 ACP

LEO & Sup. Exec. Security Spc.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
See, this seems like a well-intending LEO (admitedly from a fascist state that subjugates the rights of its citizens but still) who is automatically going to go to, at least, traffic-stop mode on everyone he sees carrying open. How many other good, well-trained, well-intending LEO's will feel the same way and need to investigate anyone open carrying? I wouldn't open carry outside of the woods. I don't currently carry other than in the car (usually just in a door pocket). In a place where OC has been the norm for a decade or two, things might be a bit different, but new OC areas would be a sketchy place to OC.

Do you have time to go through a detailed discussion, verification of the firearm's ownership, verification of open carry legality (permit, location, etc.), and possibly unloading and reloading, EVERY time you go out for gas & a slurpee? I don't.
Lol, yes I am waiting for the day that Illinois becomes like the other 48 states that allow some form of concealed carry. I don't have time (although it doesn't happen often) to have to deal with individuals that might not understand the laws of IL regarding CC. I have in fact let an individual go that had a firearm under his seat, and a loaded mag in the glove box. It was well hidden under his seat, so it was not readily available for him to retrieve, and the ammo was separate from his firearm, as dictated in the law. I used discretion, however, that traffic stop caused me to waste about a half an hour to check for wants and warrants, and to make sure his firearm was legit. If it was another LEO, he may very well have/likely been arrested.

It's a very good thing I don't work in Chicago, or I would have had to arrest him for possessing a handgun within city limits. For those of you that don't know, a resident of Chicago can own a handgun, however, they cannot keep, store, or possess it within the city. They may own a long gun, but that has to be registered with the city, along with possessing a Firearms Owner's ID (F.O.I.D). The F.O.I.D. card, is something every other firearm owner must obtain from the Illinois State Police before purchasing, or possessing a firearm or ammunition. Maybe if that changed, the 10 year murder avg. wouldn't be around 650 in Chicago. If you don't live here, and enjoy your gun rights, be thankful.

As always, be safe.

"Go to college. Get an education. Understand the law, the profession and our constitution so you understand your responsibility to the people and the trust you are granted – and to stay true to it."
-Sheriff Dave Brown

"Guns don't kill people, it's the projectile flying out of the loud end of the gun at 1300 fps that kills them."
-ME

Work- Sig Sauer P229- .40 cal
Off duty- Ruger LCP- .380 ACP
Kimber Tact. Pro II- .45 ACP

LEO & Sup. Exec. Security Spc.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2783 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1213

Florida is close to passing a state statute that prohibits cities and towns to pass local ordinances that have anything to do with firearms regulations.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #24

Liked 2388 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 2295

Do police take an oath to defend the constitution?
I have a problem with police or military personnel enforcing unconstitutional laws. If you are willing to do that you are just as bad as the politician that put that law in place. If 2a says we have the right to keep and carry arms then what right does a cop or politician have to disarm me? I served on active duty for six years and I was under no obligation to follow an unlawful order. I don't recall ever being released from my oath.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #25

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Florida is close to passing a state statute that prohibits cities and towns to pass local ordinances that have anything to do with firearms regulations.
That's great news. Last election go around here there was a proposition for just the opposite. Thankfully the gun toting bible clinging folks of VT shot it down handidly

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfcFriendly View Post
If you don't live here, and enjoy your gun rights, be thankful.
Absofreakinlutely! Mississippi has some problems, but the gun rights situation isn't too bad here. 21+YOA and not a felon to carry in my car and home seems pretty fair; i don't really understand the "your business" as an allowed to carry location under MS law, but i would just leave mine in the desk if i really felt the need for one at work.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8692 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Orangello- as in a storekeeper can carry. His place of business.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Orangello- as in a storekeeper can carry. His place of business.
I figured that was the intent. The wording sounds like any business owner can carry at his shop, but i wonder about non-owner employees carrying. It is a moot point for me, but could've been written more clearly.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #29

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Wow!

So, they would instigate a potentially deadly situation because they don't like that law? That's pretty asinine. I don't care much for open carry in populated areas because I just don't think it's a particularly good idea. However, if the law says you can then you should not have a gun drawn on you by a LEO simply for walking around with your gun in the holster which could escalate into a shooting.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #30

Hearing any LEO claim they will draw down on any law abiding citizen for open carrying is crazy. That scares the hell out of me honestly, though I live in Florida but do not open carry or have plans to ever. The police are making a mistake by taking an offensive action (drawing down) on citizens, especially when they are not breaking any laws. It's an unnecessary risk that puts more people in danger if anything.