Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
I couldn't tell you how many times I drew down on someone and they didn't have a gun. It's my safety, the safety of my fellow officers, and the safety of third-parties first. I'm going home at night. If I or my dept got sued for me drawing down on someone, I would owe people about $200,000.00. Granted, I didn't work in the best area, and we are one of two States that don't allow concealed carry. So if I see, or feel a gun, they're getting one aimed at their torso.
AS the law takes effect, I imagine the "Drawing down" syndrome will start to fade. If you have a gang member carrying, of course you can draw down, but if it is a store owner walking to his car, does that require a confrontation?

Old 04-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

The other part of "Open Carry".
Although it is called "Open Carry", the intent is that should your firearm gets accidently exposed when it should be concealed, one is not arrested for "brandishing a firearm in public."

The firearm should still be concealed to the best possible, and one must still have the CWP.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Not to defend the guy or what he said, and the cops fault, the bad guys fault or no ones's fault, that part of Florida has buried about 7 LEOs in the last 15-18 months. As I understand it they are a tad nervous in the Tampa area.

I have not heard that philosophy from anyone connected with law enforcement in Central Florida. It would not surprise me that if I was carrying openly, I would be asked to provide proof of legal carry though. I would imagine the site of someone with a hand gun on their hip would make a LEO nervous.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
Not to defend the guy or what he said, and the cops fault, the bad guys fault or no ones's fault, that part of Florida has buried about 7 LEOs in the last 15-18 months. As I understand it they are a tad nervous in the Tampa area.

I have not heard that philosophy from anyone connected with law enforcement in Central Florida. It would not surprise me that if I was carrying openly, I would be asked to provide proof of legal carry though. I would imagine the site of someone with a hand gun on their hip would make a LEO nervous.
Half the cops that died in 2009 were from traffic fatalities

Officers Accidentally Killed - Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, 2009

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk1946 View Post
AS the law takes effect, I imagine the "Drawing down" syndrome will start to fade. If you have a gang member carrying, of course you can draw down, but if it is a store owner walking to his car, does that require a confrontation?
Lol. True, my "drawing down" syndrome will definitely fade. The syndrome is present solely because, 99.99% of persons/vehicles searched that have a firearm on them are doing so illegally (i.e. convicted felon). None of the aforementioned 99.99% are law abiding citizens either, since it's clearly illegal to conceal a firearm in the state of Illinois. If there is a rare case that the individual is carrying lawfully, or is law enforcement, I always get the courtesy of them telling me they are armed. I have had two calls of "a man with a gun", and it was a buddy showing another buddy a gun he just bought. I didn't draw down, and simply explained it's not too bright to do that in your car, in broad daylight, and in a crowed parking lot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some a$$hole with a badge drawing my firearm every chance I get. I take my safety seriously, and I am for concealed carry, however, until the law changes, I have to assume if they have a firearm concealed or one in care, custody, and control of them in their vehicle, that they are a threat. It's when police or legally armed citizens become complacent, that causes **** to hit the fan.

I'm a part of this forum because I enjoy firearms, but it's this comment that got me riled up was: "The first is a CRIMINAL charge against the LEO for brandishing a firearm. The second is the CIVIL suit against the LEO AND his employer for the assault- and make no mistake, THAT is an assault- defined as "A threat to do harm, accompanied by the present apparent ability to carry out that threat." I responded to that nonsense earlier.

Cheers, and be safe.

"Go to college. Get an education. Understand the law, the profession and our constitution so you understand your responsibility to the people and the trust you are granted – and to stay true to it."
-Sheriff Dave Brown

"Guns don't kill people, it's the projectile flying out of the loud end of the gun at 1300 fps that kills them."
-ME

Work- Sig Sauer P229- .40 cal
Off duty- Ruger LCP- .380 ACP
Kimber Tact. Pro II- .45 ACP

LEO & Sup. Exec. Security Spc.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8444 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Please re-read what I posted. I said "for no other reason".

BTW, I became a Certified LEO in 1971, and am a Certified LE Supervisor. Being commissioned is not carte blanche to threaten anyone with a firearm. The circumstances mentioned by the Sheriff quoted in the original post are NOT a Felony Stop, not a "reasonable fear of safety"- it was solely the presence of a legally carried firearm.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Please re-read what I posted. I said "for no other reason".

BTW, I became a Certified LEO in 1971, and am a Certified LE Supervisor. Being commissioned is not carte blanche to threaten anyone with a firearm. The circumstances mentioned by the Sheriff quoted in the original post are NOT a Felony Stop, not a "reasonable fear of safety"- it was solely the presence of a legally carried firearm.

Rookie cops with guns make me nervous. Too much affirmative action, femanist types, and young cowboys on todays police forces. You start encouraging these types to pull a gun on a armed citizen, and tensions are going to rise.

That silly 'Five star' chief should be arrested for inciting violence. Open carry has worked in 40 other states - so where is the problem?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk1946 View Post
That silly 'Five star' chief should be arrested for inciting violence. Open carry has worked in 40 other states - so where is the problem?
Him...and anyone else that thinks the same way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfcFriendly View Post
Lol. True, my "drawing down" syndrome will definitely fade. The syndrome is present solely because, 99.99% of persons/vehicles searched that have a firearm on them are doing so illegally (i.e. convicted felon). None of the aforementioned 99.99% are law abiding citizens either, since it's clearly illegal to conceal a firearm in the state of Illinois. If there is a rare case that the individual is carrying lawfully, or is law enforcement, I always get the courtesy of them telling me they are armed. I have had two calls of "a man with a gun", and it was a buddy showing another buddy a gun he just bought. I didn't draw down, and simply explained it's not too bright to do that in your car, in broad daylight, and in a crowed parking lot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some a$$hole with a badge drawing my firearm every chance I get. I take my safety seriously, and I am for concealed carry, however, until the law changes, I have to assume if they have a firearm concealed or one in care, custody, and control of them in their vehicle, that they are a threat. It's when police or legally armed citizens become complacent, that causes **** to hit the fan.

I'm a part of this forum because I enjoy firearms, but it's this comment that got me riled up was: "The first is a CRIMINAL charge against the LEO for brandishing a firearm. The second is the CIVIL suit against the LEO AND his employer for the assault- and make no mistake, THAT is an assault- defined as "A threat to do harm, accompanied by the present apparent ability to carry out that threat." I responded to that nonsense earlier.

Cheers, and be safe.
See, this seems like a well-intending LEO (admitedly from a fascist state that subjugates the rights of its citizens but still) who is automatically going to go to, at least, traffic-stop mode on everyone he sees carrying open. How many other good, well-trained, well-intending LEO's will feel the same way and need to investigate anyone open carrying? I wouldn't open carry outside of the woods. I don't currently carry other than in the car (usually just in a door pocket). In a place where OC has been the norm for a decade or two, things might be a bit different, but new OC areas would be a sketchy place to OC.

Do you have time to go through a detailed discussion, verification of the firearm's ownership, verification of open carry legality (permit, location, etc.), and possibly unloading and reloading, EVERY time you go out for gas & a slurpee? I don't.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Him...and anyone else that thinks the same way.
Quoted for the truth and thumbs up!!