Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry'
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Florida LEOs oppose 'Open Carry'

Florida Sheriffs announce they will 'Draw down' on anyone with an open carry. The sheriff says 'Look for tragedies, as deputies won't hesitate if they feel threatened.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #2

Wow, that's an overreaction. Granted they may be in FL, but seriously???

It's like Open Range on the open carry populus.

BTW, criminals typically never, never, never open carry. If a man walks into a bank to rob it, he doesn't wear the pistol openly but conceals it until necessary. While working in a bank for years, I was never robbed by an open carry customer (AZ). I was robbed by the guys who had their guns hidden in their pockets.

I've never felt threatened by someone open carrying. In tend to be more courteous than the general public.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9153 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

If a law enforcement officer "draws down" on someone for no other reason than they are legally, openly carrying a firearm, two events should follow. The first is a CRIMINAL charge against the LEO for brandishing a firearm. The second is the CIVIL suit against the LEO AND his employer for the assault- and make no mistake, THAT is an assault- defined as "A threat to do harm, accompanied by the present apparent ability to carry out that threat."

As far as the Sheriff goes- they are elected officials. THAT problem should be cured at the ballot box, and the idiot sent on his way- minus his badge.

My home state has been an "open carry" state for some years. I must have missed the news reports concerning the rivers of blood resulting from that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I think if the whole country did away with ccw's,cpl's,cwp's etc and let all legal gun owners carry concealed there would be no increase in crime other than rare instances of domestic type violence where a non ccw holder happened to be carrying when he wouldn't have been otherwise,but all in all I think crime would stay the same or even go down.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Forget waiting for the next election, why don't the fine people of Florida recall this putz? As C3 mentioned if this plays out look for the folks of Florida to incur enormous legal liabilities. Yeah, I'd have a huge problem with any officer drawing on me while doing nothing wrong.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If a law enforcement officer "draws down" on someone for no other reason than they are legally, openly carrying a firearm, two events should follow. The first is a CRIMINAL charge against the LEO for brandishing a firearm. The second is the CIVIL suit against the LEO AND his employer for the assault- and make no mistake, THAT is an assault- defined as "A threat to do harm, accompanied by the present apparent ability to carry out that threat."

As far as the Sheriff goes- they are elected officials. THAT problem should be cured at the ballot box, and the idiot sent on his way- minus his badge.

What C3 said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk1946 View Post
Florida Sheriffs announce they will 'Draw down' on anyone with an open carry. The sheriff says 'Look for tragedies, as deputies won't hesitate if they feel threatened.

Sadly, it works both ways.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2959 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 327

So, why exactly, would LEOs feel threatened by a holstered weapon in plain sight? It's not like your typical criminal is going to be open carrying.
I've noticed that there are always groups of politicians posing as LEOs claiming to speak for all of Law Enforcement.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-18-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2961 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Somehow, I get the feeling that the small representation shown does not look at the whole picture.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #9

This guy is elected, and just a politician type. The real question is who are the ones backing this Barney Fife?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

My home state has been an "open carry" state for some years. I must have missed the news reports concerning the rivers of blood resulting from that.
Now I personally agree with you that the Sheriff is totally overreacting. However, it's not criminal for an officer to draw down on someone if a threat being present (or the fear of the possibility of impending threat). I understand that a holstered weapon is not an immediate threat, but you also have to understand that police officers are allowed to break certain laws while on duty (i.e. traffic laws), and drawing down on someone because the officer feeling "threatened" is NOT criminal. I couldn't tell you how many times I drew down on someone and they didn't have a gun. It's my safety, the safety of my fellow officers, and the safety of third-parties first. I'm going home at night. If I or my dept got sued for me drawing down on someone, I would owe people about $200,000.00. Granted, I didn't work in the best area, and we are one of two States that don't allow concealed carry. So if I see, or feel a gun, they're getting one aimed at their torso.