Fiveseven as a concealed carry weapon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Fiveseven as a concealed carry weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fiveseven as a concealed carry weapon

I was looking at some of the penetration/ballistics info for the 5.7 round, and the civie rounds do not have the muzzle velocity of the military/LE rounds, and do not penetrate nearly as much. Now I'm considering using my new Fiveseven as a concealed carry weapon. Does anyone else do this? How safe is it as a concealed carry weapon as far as the risk of it going off if I carry it locked and loaded with the safety on. It's single action with an internal hammer, so I'd pretty much have to carry it this way if I was going to use it for concealed carry. I saw in the user manual where it is possible for the gun to discharge if dropped, but what about just being carried normally? If I bump into something is it going to go off?

Thanks,
Crispy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #2

Go to www.eliteammunition.com they make some great rounds for the fiveseven.I carry in blackhawk serpa no chance of falling out,

medicus ordinarius

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A FiveseveN isn't the "ideal" concealed carry or SD weapon. Small diameter, high velocity bullets aren't good for SD, but they'll punch holes in most anything!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it is what you have, it is better than nothing. I have read alot of criticism of the round, and one thing I remember was that its ballistics compared to a 22WMR out of a rifle...I'm not sure that is what I want to trust at close range if I have other options.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 12-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I would be worried about the over-penetration issues. The 5.7 rounds will most likley zip right through your target and keep going. That is what you do NOT want because of the liability factor.

The 5.7 is a good round, but not for concealed carry applications. My opinion is you would be better off with something in the .45 ACP range (i.e. a bullet that is slower and packs a big punch without zipping right through a target).

Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The 5.7x28 mm will likely just drill neat little holes through an attacker. If the attacker is determined to do you grievous bodily harm, being shot with a 5.7 mm will probably be nothing more than a minor annoyance.

5.7x28 mm is a novelty round. It was designed to defeat body armor, but does so poorly. In FBI tests, it readily defeated Level IIA armor. Most soft armor used these days is at least IIIA with trauma plates.

I guess it looks cool though to load bottle necked rounds with pretty colored bullets into a pistol though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The 5.7x28 mm will likely just drill neat little holes through an attacker. If the attacker is determined to do you grievous bodily harm, being shot with a 5.7 mm will probably be nothing more than a minor annoyance.

5.7x28 mm is a novelty round. It was designed to defeat body armor, but does so poorly. In FBI tests, it readily defeated Level IIA armor. Most soft armor used these days is at least IIIA with trauma plates.

I guess it looks cool though to load bottle necked rounds with pretty colored bullets into a pistol though.
My old Tokarev TT33 uses necked down ammo, 7.62x25. I didn't pay big bucks for it either. I don't know about armor, but I can shoot it clear through a junk automobile like it was made of paper.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #8

I found a good deal on a used Glock 19 that looks like it is brand new, so I'll probably be getting that for CCW in a few days. I like the cheap 9mm rounds, too. I'll still probably carry the FiveseveN in the car or when I'm wearing a jacket. I found a company called Elite Ammunition that sells very high quality 5.7x28mm ammo that the people on the FN forums say perform far better than the standard FN rounds. Thinking of getting a box of their Personal Protection and Ultra Raptor rounds for CCW for the FiveseveN and some Gold Dot .124 gr +P rounds for CCW for the Glock.

I REALLY wanted to get an FNP 9, but it still looks like it might be too big for me to carry without a jacket on, and I found a pretty good deal on that Glock.