First Time I Had To Use My Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First Time I Had To Use My Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default First Time I Had To Use My Gun

Me and my family purchased our first home a year and a half ago,and I purchased my first handgun over a year ago.Last night my wife started freaking out about noises,and swears that something is outside rubbing against the house and brushing up against the windows.We live about 20 miles out in the woods away from the police,and I figure it's in her head anyways,so after her insistance something is out there,I went to see.I racked one in my 9mm and de cocked it and criss crossed my hands with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other as I checked the entire property and the van.Well,nothing was out there,and my gut tells me it was a mouse in the wall she heard or something,but it is still a little freaky checking for threats in pitch black with nothing but a small pistol and a cheap flashlight.I give credit to cops that do that stuff everyday.If I had to act,I don't know if I could effectivly stop a threat,I am far from trained,but I got the job done I guess,I checked it out and made my wife feel safe,and luckily nothing was out there.After last night I think I want to buy a shotgun or something.The other part of me thinks,nah,I live in a nice neighborhood in the country,I should be alright.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #2

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

I had a similar incident. But when it was all over my wife said it was the sexiest thing she had ever seen.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like you did good, but remember that your flashlight illuminates you as well.

A shotgun is an excellent home defense weapon and it will serve you well. God forbid, if you ever have to start shooting, more is definitely better.

I second the shotgun idea.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It sounds like you did good, but remember that your flashlight illuminates you as well.

A shotgun is an excellent home defense weapon and it will serve you well. God forbid, if you ever have to start shooting, more is definitely better.

I second the shotgun idea.
LED flashlights are great for not illuminating the user.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I had a similar incident. But when it was all over my wife said it was the sexiest thing she had ever seen.
Ask her how sexy it would have been had you taken a couple rounds in the chest....

Just sayin.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Ask her how sexy it would have been had you taken a couple rounds in the chest....

Just sayin.
Dang, you really rained on his parade, huh?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #7

Honestly, I didn't think anything was wrong. I was trying to make her feel better.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm glad you didn't find anything.

I do think i would find the heft of my Mossy 500 comforting in such a situation. I have been debating on whether or not to mount a light on it for such occurences. I do find the heft of my maglight kinda comforting too, though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

I do think i would find the heft of my Mossy 500 comforting in such a situation. I have been debating on whether or not to mount a light on it for such occurences. I do find the heft of my maglight kinda comforting too, though.
I have 12 gauge pump. But it's a really long barrel. It pretty much stays in the safe. I have 4 loaded handguns in the bedroom though. 380, 38, 357, 40

Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #10

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

I feel tough with my pistol when i'm sitting around the house,but when I go outside like that,I feel very uneasy with just a pistol.I should invest in a pump 12ga.All I got now is a single shot 20ga with a broken trigger guard and a single shot .410.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves