Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   First Time I Had To Use My Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/first-time-i-had-use-my-gun-24615/)

ninjatoth 03-13-2010 05:30 PM

First Time I Had To Use My Gun
 
Me and my family purchased our first home a year and a half ago,and I purchased my first handgun over a year ago.Last night my wife started freaking out about noises,and swears that something is outside rubbing against the house and brushing up against the windows.We live about 20 miles out in the woods away from the police,and I figure it's in her head anyways,so after her insistance something is out there,I went to see.I racked one in my 9mm and de cocked it and criss crossed my hands with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other as I checked the entire property and the van.Well,nothing was out there,and my gut tells me it was a mouse in the wall she heard or something,but it is still a little freaky checking for threats in pitch black with nothing but a small pistol and a cheap flashlight.I give credit to cops that do that stuff everyday.If I had to act,I don't know if I could effectivly stop a threat,I am far from trained,but I got the job done I guess,I checked it out and made my wife feel safe,and luckily nothing was out there.After last night I think I want to buy a shotgun or something.The other part of me thinks,nah,I live in a nice neighborhood in the country,I should be alright.

Rick1967 03-13-2010 05:55 PM

I had a similar incident. But when it was all over my wife said it was the sexiest thing she had ever seen.

CA357 03-13-2010 06:08 PM

It sounds like you did good, but remember that your flashlight illuminates you as well.

A shotgun is an excellent home defense weapon and it will serve you well. God forbid, if you ever have to start shooting, more is definitely better.

I second the shotgun idea.

doctherock 03-13-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 247586)
It sounds like you did good, but remember that your flashlight illuminates you as well.

A shotgun is an excellent home defense weapon and it will serve you well. God forbid, if you ever have to start shooting, more is definitely better.

I second the shotgun idea.

LED flashlights are great for not illuminating the user.

Highpower 03-13-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 247569)
I had a similar incident. But when it was all over my wife said it was the sexiest thing she had ever seen.

Ask her how sexy it would have been had you taken a couple rounds in the chest....

Just sayin.

suprdave 03-13-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 247618)
Ask her how sexy it would have been had you taken a couple rounds in the chest....

Just sayin.

Dang, you really rained on his parade, huh?

Rick1967 03-13-2010 10:11 PM

Honestly, I didn't think anything was wrong. I was trying to make her feel better.

orangello 03-13-2010 10:18 PM

I'm glad you didn't find anything.

I do think i would find the heft of my Mossy 500 comforting in such a situation. I have been debating on whether or not to mount a light on it for such occurences. I do find the heft of my maglight kinda comforting too, though.

Rick1967 03-13-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 247752)
I'm glad you didn't find anything.

I do think i would find the heft of my Mossy 500 comforting in such a situation. I have been debating on whether or not to mount a light on it for such occurences. I do find the heft of my maglight kinda comforting too, though.

I have 12 gauge pump. But it's a really long barrel. It pretty much stays in the safe. I have 4 loaded handguns in the bedroom though. 380, 38, 357, 40

ninjatoth 03-14-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 247752)
I'm glad you didn't find anything.

I do think i would find the heft of my Mossy 500 comforting in such a situation. I have been debating on whether or not to mount a light on it for such occurences. I do find the heft of my maglight kinda comforting too, though.

I feel tough with my pistol when i'm sitting around the house,but when I go outside like that,I feel very uneasy with just a pistol.I should invest in a pump 12ga.All I got now is a single shot 20ga with a broken trigger guard and a single shot .410.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.