Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First time carrying questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Thanks for the replies.

My comment/questions were more directed to the situation when you do expose. Again, I know there are some who will never accept guns or carrying Open or concealed.

But why would it be such a big deal if it gets exposed? My argument is Open Carry is acceptable in most states.

Is it the people or LEO's that make it an issue? Are they uninformed and they dont understand? Or is it the people being so alarmed by seeing a "non-LEO" carrying a gun?
It SHOULDN'T be a big deal if you expose. Some people may get upset, some may call the cops and you may have to explain yourself (and produce your CCW). Some cops may get upset and arrest or attempt to arrest you, remember the head law enforcement officer in any district is the District Attorney. That person determines if they will prosecute you. Just because you are arrested does not mean you will be prosecuted. I have found some LEO's to be the most pro-2nd people I have met. I have also met others that are completely against anyone but LEO's having firearms. They are individuals and all have their own habits and beliefs. I have also found that many LEO's think they know the law, but it is the lawyers who have a much stronger understanding of it (and how to manipulate it). Remember, the law has nothing to do with justice or fairness.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #52

Liked 2161 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

Yes, tell that to the judge. From this exchange I am quite sure you will be facing the judge. You are almost as civil as a wildcat. I was only quoting you. No other forum members are involved. By the way I have had a CCP in several of the states you mentioned. I am well aware of the law.
I will never be arrested or facing a judge for this particular reason because of my job and a fairly recently passed federal law. If you are well aware of the law you would not be making the broad, inaccurate, overreaching statements that you are making. You have not backed up a single one of your points with any substantial facts whatsoever. And you have not been exactly "civil" yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheever

It SHOULDN'T be a big deal if you expose. Some people may get upset, some may call the cops and you may have to explain yourself (and produce your CCW). Some cops may get upset and arrest or attempt to arrest you, remember the head law enforcement officer in any district is the District Attorney. That person determines if they will prosecute you. Just because you are arrested does not mean you will be prosecuted. I have found some LEO's to be the most pro-2nd people I have met. I have also met others that are completely against anyone but LEO's having firearms. They are individuals and all have their own habits and beliefs. I have also found that many LEO's think they know the law, but it is the lawyers who have a much stronger understanding of it (and how to manipulate it). Remember, the law has nothing to do with justice or fairness.
This is absolutely correct. Most LEOs are the most pro 2nd amendment people you will ever meet. The gun control freaks are usually currently or formerly patrol high crime inner city areas and deal with trash on a daily basis so they don't have a good feel for normal human beings. (Or they're liberals who are just there for the power and the paycheck. LoL) Also, there are exceptions but most cops will never make an arrest solely based on 1 persons unsubstantiated accusations. They require a little evidence before depriving individuals of their freedom.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #53

Liked 994 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I will never be arrested or facing a judge for this particular reason because of my job and a fairly recently passed federal law. If you are well aware of the law you would not be making the broad, inaccurate, overreaching statements that you are making. You have not backed up a single one of your points with any substantial facts whatsoever. And you have not been exactly "civil" yourself.

This is absolutely correct. Most LEOs are the most pro 2nd amendment people you will ever meet. The gun control freaks are usually currently or formerly patrol high crime inner city areas and deal with trash on a daily basis so they don't have a good feel for normal human beings. (Or they're liberals who are just there for the power and the paycheck. LoL) Also, there are exceptions but most cops will never make an arrest solely based on 1 persons unsubstantiated accusations. They require a little evidence before depriving individuals of their freedom.
Sorry to bust your bubble. All it takes is someone to file a complaint. Nothing more nothing less. It happened to me. A friend and I had a business deal. He wouldn't sober up long enough to get the work done. So I kicked him out of the deal for failure to perform. I had lent him a shotgun. I picked up my shotgun. No words were exchanged, there was no drama. A couple hours later a deputy shows up at my house and requests that I follow him to the magistrates office right now. I am freaking out because I hunt with this deputy and I have known the sheriff for over 20 years.

When I get to the magistrates office the guy's wife has pressed charges on me for armed to the terror of the public. She told the magistrate that I held the entire family at gunpoint.

I ended up getting the charges dropped without going to court. But I had to pay a lawyer and I lost a couple days of work.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #54

Quote:

Sorry to bust your bubble. All it takes is someone to file a complaint. Nothing more nothing less. It happened to me. A friend and I had a business deal. He wouldn't sober up long enough to get the work done. So I kicked him out of the deal for failure to perform. I had lent him a shotgun. I picked up my shotgun. No words were exchanged, there was no drama. A couple hours later a deputy shows up at my house and requests that I follow him to the magistrates office right now. I am freaking out because I hunt with this deputy and I have known the sheriff for over 20 years.

When I get to the magistrates office the guy's wife has pressed charges on me for armed to the terror of the public. She told the magistrate that I held the entire family at gunpoint.

I ended up getting the charges dropped without going to court. But I had to pay a lawyer and I lost a couple days of work.
This does not bust my bubble. This proves my point. This was not an arrest. You were not taken into custody, not handcuffed and brought to parish prison, you did not have a bond set, you did not have to have a bail enforcement agent come and pick you up. You did not lose your freedom.

You were asked to appear before a magistrate. Not a district court judge. A local magistrate. You could be asked to appear because your dog barked at someone. You could be asked to appear because your grass was too high. You could be asked to appear because some numb nuts looks your name up in the phone book and accuses you of stealing their garbage can from off the street. Hell in some states you could shoot someone a dirty look and go before the magistrates for assault.

At some point in your life someone is going to complain about you to a local magistrate, justice of the peace, or small claims court. That's totally different from a law enforcement officer hooking you up and charging you with a crime. There is no pleasing people in this day and age. If you want to tip toe around for the rest of your life that's on you.

In my state accidental exposure is a non issue. We are an open carry state. I could walk into a busy wal mart strapped with a full sized Glock 22 and no one would look twice. I've done it before. So if my little bitty pocket pistol falls out, oops. My bad. I'll pick it up and stuff it back in my pocket. No harm no foul. And there are LOTS of states set up the same way.

And if somebody goes running to the magistrate because I was strapped, oh well. Chock it up to the game of life and work with the cards im dealt. I was doing the right thing according to the law. I can't help what other people want to say or do about it.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-06-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #55

Liked 994 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
This does not bust my bubble. This proves my point. This was not an arrest. You were not taken into custody, not handcuffed and brought to parish prison, you did not have a bond set, you did not have to have a bail enforcement agent come and pick you up. You did not lose your freedom.

You were asked to appear before a magistrate. Not a district court judge. A local magistrate. You could be asked to appear because your dog barked at someone. You could be asked to appear because your grass was too high. You could be asked to appear because some numb nuts looks your name up in the phone book and accuses you of stealing their garbage can from off the street. Hell in some states you could shoot someone a dirty look and go before the magistrates for assault.

At some point in your life someone is going to complain about you to a local magistrate, justice of the peace, or small claims court. That's totally different from a law enforcement officer hooking you up and charging you with a crime. There is no pleasing people in this day and age. If you want to tip toe around for the rest of your life that's on you.

In my state accidental exposure is a non issue. We are an open carry state. I could walk into a busy wal mart strapped with a full sized Glock 22 and no one would look twice. I've done it before. So if my little bitty pocket pistol falls out, oops. My bad. I'll pick it up and stuff it back in my pocket. No harm no foul. And there are LOTS of states set up the same way.

And if somebody goes running to the magistrate because I was strapped, oh well. Chock it up to the game of life and work with the cards im dealt. I was doing the right thing according to the law. I can't help what other people want to say or do about it.

If didn't have a good relationship with the local sheriffs department do you think I would have been allowed to follow the deputy to the magistrates office? No! I would have been arrested and forced to post bond. I likely would have had to sit in jail for a couple days until a bond hearing could be arranged. The magistrates always set your bond much higher than the bond you are offered at a bond hearing, sometimes 10x as much.

That would have been the beginning of my nightmare.

I wouldn't have went to lunch with sheriff and the DA to discuss what happened. I would have went to trial to make a case before a judge. Not to mention the confiscation of my weapons. It's possible I would have had to appeal the case to superior court to get a fair trial and recover my collection. Most of the district court judges don't even know the law. They just rule the way the arresting officer and the DA determine is proper. You might get a fair shake or they might railroad you. I have seen it go both ways and I have no idea why the court chose to take the actions that it did.

That is real life my friend.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 09-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #56

Quote:

If didn't have a good relationship with the local sheriffs department do you think I would have been allowed to follow the deputy to the magistrates office? No! I would have been arrested and forced to post bond. I likely would have had to sit in jail for a couple days until a bond hearing could be arranged. The magistrates always set your bond much higher than the bond you are offered at a bond hearing, sometimes 10x as much.

That would have been the beginning of my nightmare.

I wouldn't have went to lunch with sheriff and the DA to discuss what happened. I would have went to trial to make case before a judge. Not to mention the confiscation of my weapons. It's possible I would have had to appeal the case to superior court to get a fair trial and recover my collection. Most of the district court judges don't even know the law. They just rule the way the arresting officer and the DA determine is proper. You might get a fair shake or they might railroad you. I have seen it go both ways and I have no idea why the court chose to take the actions that it did.
If you think district court judges don't know what the law says and the judge always sides with the DA and the cops, you have absolutely lost your mind. Have you ever even BEEN to court? What the heck? I can't even BEGIN to tell you some of the craziness I have seen in court between cops judges and DAs (and defense attorneys) during my career as a law enforcement officer.

I cannot believe anyone would actually make a blanket statement like that about Judges. This is ignorance that I can't argue with. I'm absolutely done with this discussion. It's over. As proverbs says, don't answer a fool according to his folly. Good day sir.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #57

Liked 162 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Is this really the end to the John_deer vs DeltaF thread?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #58

Liked 787 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster
Is this really the end to the John_deer vs DeltaF thread?
Went on for a while, to be sure.....
I don't know about you, but on that subject, I'm with those guys

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 09-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #59

Liked 898 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

I had an accidental exposure (my gun, not my "parts" ) once that turned out to be a positive thing. I used to wear western boots, and carried a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in a clip-on holster in my right boot. My wife worked at the same place where I worked, and there was this "pretty boy" that had been chasin' after my wife. He'd make some kinda put-down remark to me, then compliment my wife. He tried to get his sorry a$$ alone with her whenever he could. Anyway, I was sitting in a class one day, with my trusty Pug in my boot. Mr. Cool's momma was in the class. All at once the instructor pointed at the floor in front of me. My Pug had fallen out of my boot. I picked it up and put it away, and "momma" saw what happened. She must've told Mr Cool about it, because from that day forward he never said another put-down to me, and never spoke to my wife again.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
I had an accidental exposure (my gun, not my "parts" ) once that turned out to be a positive thing. I used to wear western boots, and carried a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in a clip-on holster in my right boot. My wife worked at the same place where I worked, and there was this "pretty boy" that had been chasin' after my wife. He'd make some kinda put-down remark to me, then compliment my wife. He tried to get his sorry a$$ alone with her whenever he could. Anyway, I was sitting in a class one day, with my trusty Pug in my boot. Mr. Cool's momma was in the class. All at once the instructor pointed at the floor in front of me. My Pug had fallen out of my boot. I picked it up and put it away, and "momma" saw what happened. She must've told Mr Cool about it, because from that day forward he never said another put-down to me, and never spoke to my wife again.
Now THATS what I'm talkin bout! When I was dating after about the 3rd date id "accidentally" leave my duty weapon laying on the seat. If she freaked out she was GONE. My wife was the first one who squealed and begged me to take her shooting. And then the wedding bells rang.

AIKIJUTSU Likes This