First time carrying questions - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

First time carrying questions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Moon_Bounce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

PA is an open carry state but I have never seen somebody other than an officer/security guard open carry. I have a huge issue with openly carrying in places where it is out of the norm. We all conceal because we want to protect ourselves and our loved ones from danger. If a robbery (just as a example) is to occur the thief will most likely shoot the open carry person first (or they could choose not to rob a bank because it scares them off). When I think of open carry I always think of the movie "Did you Hear about the Morgans?" In this movie the couple witnessed a murder and had to be transferred to I think south or North Dakota until the murderer was found. Well fast forward the murderer finds their location and tries to shoot the couple during a rodeo/carnival of sort. However once he pulls a gun on the couple he turns to see that everyone in the crowd has a gun pointed towards him. Thus the 2A wins.

IMO I don't think it would be better to OC in places where it is uncommon but I do believe where everyone OC it cuts down on crime. Because I'll be damned if I would try to rob a bank or kill somebody if everyone around me had a gun.

The horrible shooting that took place in Colorado at the movie theatre just over a year ago could have been less damaging if a couple people carried there however I believe he chose that theater because it prohibited weapons.

Just like Witt I am still learning and these are just my opinions
Moon_Bounce is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

If you can't control your weapon well enough to keep it concealed you really don't need it. It's just that simple. We all get a couple freerolls when we begin carrying a weapon. After six months or so you don't need a weapon if you can't conceal it. It's to easy to conceal a weapon for anyone to make excuses. If you insist on carrying OWB you are going to have issues unless you dress around your gun. My wife wears shear clothing with her midriff exposed and she can keep a weapon concealed. If you are wearing gentlemen's attire and you can't keep a gun concealed you have serious issues.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 577 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

Thanks for the replies.

My comment/questions were more directed to the situation when you do expose. Again, I know there are some who will never accept guns or carrying Open or concealed.

But why would it be such a big deal if it gets exposed? My argument is Open Carry is acceptable in most states.

Is it the people or LEO's that make it an issue? Are they uninformed and they dont understand? Or is it the people being so alarmed by seeing a "non-LEO" carrying a gun?
__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
wittmeba is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,206
Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
If you can't control your weapon well enough to keep it concealed you really don't need it. It's just that simple. We all get a couple freerolls when we begin carrying a weapon. After six months or so you don't need a weapon if you can't conceal it. It's to easy to conceal a weapon for anyone to make excuses. If you insist on carrying OWB you are going to have issues unless you dress around your gun. My wife wears shear clothing with her midriff exposed and she can keep a weapon concealed. If you are wearing gentlemen's attire and you can't keep a gun concealed you have serious issues.
:bow down: We are humbled by your vast experience.

I for one am a clumsy SOB. I am lucky if I can stand up at a restaurant table without realizing that my pants were on backwards. My gun has become exposed on numerous occasions. Nobody has ever cared. If they do care, they can go jump off of a bridge for all I care. I carry everywhere. I open carry on occasion too. And guess what? I ain't locking my gun up.

I conceal carry because its comfortable for me and I plan on keeping my family safe. And I don't need your permission to do it. I think your statement is both arrogant and ignorant. Accidental exposure? Hell I've seen very competent and very skilled shooters DROP their guns on occasion. If you claim you've never had a simple accident, it indicates either a lack of opportunities or lack of honesty. Not some form of perfection on your part.
__________________
"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.
DeltaF is offline  
Devin556 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
:bow down: We are humbled by your vast experience.

I for one am a clumsy SOB. I am lucky if I can stand up at a restaurant table without realizing that my pants were on backwards. My gun has become exposed on numerous occasions. Nobody has ever cared. If they do care, they can go jump off of a bridge for all I care. I carry everywhere. I open carry on occasion too. And guess what? I ain't locking my gun up.

I conceal carry because its comfortable for me and I plan on keeping my family safe. And I don't need your permission to do it. I think your statement is both arrogant and ignorant. Accidental exposure? Hell I've seen very competent and very skilled shooters DROP their guns on occasion. If you claim you've never had a simple accident, it indicates either a lack of opportunities or lack of honesty. Not some form of perfection on your part.
I never said I have never had an accident. But I learned from my mistakes and I moved forward. I started using IWB, belly band holsters or small pocket pistols. It's your right to carry a gun you are toying with. I don't care if you lose it when you are charged with armed to the terror of the public. It's just someone who gives all gun owners a bad name that can't slander us all anymore. God bless you and yours. I am sorry it came to this.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
304inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 251
Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Default

Ha, go easy boys. This is what a forum is for. Points and counterpoints.
304inc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,206
Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

I never said I have never had an accident. But I learned from my mistakes and I moved forward. I started using IWB, belly band holsters or small pocket pistols. It's your right to carry a gun you are toying with. I don't care if you lose it when you are charged with armed to the terror of the public. It's just someone who gives all gun owners a bad name that can't slander us all anymore. God bless you and yours. I am sorry it came to this.
Accidental exposures don't give all gun owners a bad name. And most states you cannot be charged with "armed to the terror of the public" or "illegal display of a weapon" or "terrorizing" or "brandishing" unless the firearm is actually in your hand. There are some exceptions. However, quite frequently the instructors in CCP classes are either purposefully lying to cover their butts or misinformed.

For example, for years State Police in this area were lying to their CCP classes and telling them that they would lose their permit if they ever open carried or accidentally displayed and that they could possibly go to prison. There has never been any such law on the books. There has never been any such policy in the CCP process. It was nothing but a bald faced lie because they didnt WANT people open carrying. Because State Police were saying this, everyone else assumed it was true. And the lie continued until someone publicly confronted them about it in the proper forum and they had to back down.

Accidents happen. To everyone. As long as nobody gets hurt its not a big deal. And sometimes accidents equal important lessons learned. Accidental displays ertainly not as big of a deal as a negligent discharge like someone earlier stated on this thread.
__________________
"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-05-2013 at 09:12 PM.
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Accidental exposures don't give all gun owners a bad name. And most states you cannot be charged with "armed to the terror of the public" or "illegal display of a weapon" or "terrorizing" or "brandishing" unless the firearm is actually in your hand. There are some exceptions. However, quite frequently the instructors in CCP classes are either purposefully lying to cover their butts or misinformed.

For example, for years State Police in this area were lying to their CCP classes and telling them that they would lose their permit if they ever open carried or accidentally displayed and that they could possibly go to prison. There has never been any such law on the books. There has never been any such policy in the CCP process. It was nothing but a bald faced lie because they didnt WANT people open carrying. Because State Police were saying this, everyone else assumed it was true. And the lie continued until someone publicly confronted them about it in the proper forum and they had to back down.

Accidents happen. To everyone. As long as nobody gets hurt its not a big deal. And sometimes accidents equal important lessons learned. Accidental displays ertainly not as big of a deal as a negligent discharge like someone earlier stated on this thread.
All it takes is for some a$$hole to file a complaint. The magistrate will file charges on you and a deputy will pick you up. You will have your day in court to tell the judge all that. It's not good to show off your gun or let people know you have a carry permit. If no one knows you are carrying a gun they can't stretch the truth because you made them angry.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,206
Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
All it takes is for some a$$hole to file a complaint. The magistrate will file charges on you and a deputy will pick you up. You will have your day in court to tell the judge all that. It's not good to show off your gun or let people know you have a carry permit. If no one knows you are carrying a gun they can't stretch the truth because you made them angry.
Maybe in your state. Maybe. You're making some broad assumptions about all CCP holders here and all state laws as well, with obviously limited knowledge. I don't know who told you about this magistrate bull**** but in EVERY state you cannot be arrested without probable cause. And 1 party's word against the other party's word is almost NEVER enough for probable cause without some type of corroborating evidence.

In Alaska Montana Idaho Wyoming Nevada Arizona New Mexico South Dakota Vermont Kentucky Virginia Utah North Dakota Minnesota Iowa Tennessee Louisiana Mississippi Georgia Indiana Maryland New Jersey Rhode Island Connecticut and Massachusetts open carry of some form is legal. And I probably missed a few states, I'm not sure when the last time that list was updated. You can walk around with a full gun belt on and visible to the world and be perfectly within the law in most of these states. And there are quite a few people on this forum who do. It sounds like you've got a lot of learning about the real world to do.
__________________
"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-05-2013 at 11:24 PM.
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Maybe in your state. Maybe. You're making some broad assumptions about all CCP holders here and all state laws as well, with obviously limited knowledge. I don't know who told you about this magistrate bull**** but in EVERY state you cannot be arrested without probable cause. And 1 party's word against the other party's word is almost NEVER enough for probable cause without some type of corroborating evidence.

In Alaska Montana Idaho Wyoming Nevada Arizona New Mexico South Dakota Vermont Kentucky Virginia Utah North Dakota Minnesota Iowa Tennessee Louisiana Mississippi Georgia Indiana Maryland New Jersey Rhode Island Connecticut and Massachusetts open carry of some form is legal. And I probably missed a few states, I'm not sure when the last time that list was updated. You can walk around with a full gun belt on and visible to the world and be perfectly within the law in most of these states. And there are quite a few people on this forum who do. It sounds like you've got a lot of learning about the real world to do.
Yes, tell that to the judge. From this exchange I am quite sure you will be facing the judge. You are almost as civil as a wildcat. I was only quoting you. No other forum members are involved. By the way I have had a CCP in several of the states you mentioned. I am well aware of the law.

Last edited by John_Deer; 09-06-2013 at 02:45 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
When carrying cblowe13 General Handgun Discussion 37 08-11-2013 12:10 AM
Carrying and having to use your gun Buskowski Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 11 03-14-2013 12:27 PM
First time Competion questions Shortshooter Competition Shooting 9 07-29-2010 09:20 PM
First time gun buyer questions - Illinois rockme .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 17 02-25-2010 03:17 PM