First time carrying questions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First time carrying questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123
If you dropped your gun while conceal carrying then you need to put it back in the gun safe where it belongs . If you exposed it by accident. Same advice applys.
I don't understand that comment. I will admit that I have not carried yet but I do have my CCW. I am doing research and reading threads on here to help prepare for when I do. I can say that this forum is helping me a lot and I appreciate everyone's insight and experiences.

But what is the big deal if you accidentally expose your weapon? I wouldn't think it would case a panic and I doubt the person who saw the weapon would recognize you the next time they saw you and tell everyone or authorities that man there has a weapon.

The gun is registered and you have your CCW license I don't think you have anything to worry about. Now if you are constantly exposing your weapon then maybe you need to get new gear or if your too clumsy then possibly shelve your weapon.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #22

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheever View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I think you should reconsider your carry gear, but I don't think you should shelve the firearm entirely. Hopefully you learn from your experience and you move on with life.
if you cant handel your firearm without droping it you a danger to the public and also give the gun hater politician the excuse their all ways looking for to get rid of ccw. as a ccw holder your held to a higher standard. get the training and practice your carry methed before heading out. their are police that will arrest you on the spot for brandishing a weapon, and they wont care if it was a accident or not.

i consider a mistake like this just as bad as shooting yourself or someone else while cleaning a loaded gun. which i still cant figger out how to do

Old 09-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #23

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:

if you cant handel your firearm without droping it you a danger to the public and also give the gun hater politician the excuse their all ways looking for to get rid of ccw. as a ccw holder your held to a higher standard. get the training and practice your carry methed before heading out. their are police that will arrest you on the spot for brandishing a weapon, and they wont care if it was a accident or not.

i consider a mistake like this just as bad as shooting yourself or someone else while cleaning a loaded gun. which i still cant figger out how to do
We beg for your forgiveness Mr. I am perfect and have not and will never drop my weapon and/or allow another human eye to see it. BS.

Accidents happen and HOW CAN YOU say with a straight face that accidentally dropping your weapon is the same as having an accidental discharge and either shooting yourself or someone else. We all make mistakes, even the ones that have carried for years.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #24

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

robertusa123,

Dont you think you are being a little unrealistic with your expectations? Accidents happen and most are not good, but they still happen.

Open carry is the default (everyone sees your weapon) here in Va. CCW is something you must test, apply and pay for.

I fully agree with your statement - "get the training and practice your carry methed before heading out." But Im sure the best of the best still have accidents.

There is a difference between "brandishing" and accidental exposure. If you happen to expose before a LEO that just wants to exercise his powers, there is nothing you can do about that but accept it.

Im in the same situation as Moon_Bounce - I have taken and passed the test but have not paid for the CCW. Im still in the learning mode as well. There are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum and I hope I can continue learning from their experiences and knowledge.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 09-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:

Yeah I basically think that's a ridiculous thing to say. Accidentally showing your weapon because your shirt rides up a little bit is not the same thing as an AD/ND. No one can possibly get hurt just by your weapon showing a little. If you believe that, then you need to possibly not carry concealed because you buy into the whole "guns are what kill people" mentality. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun is no more inherently dangerous than a knife when left to its own devices. Therefore showing a gun in public cannot possibly harm someone unless you're waving if around with your finger on the trigger, then of course an NG can happen.

Safety is the priority, THEN followed by the law. So for you to say accidentally showing is the same as an AD/ND, then to me it sounds like you place more emphasis on the law than safety. Which can get you killed if you're in Kalifornia (for example) and you have to use your weapon in self/home defense.

Don't get me wrong, I always advocate LEGAL gun ownership and use. But when you have to pull your weapon and you hesitate for a split second because the law floats into your mind, you could get killed.

I rather think YOU shouldn't be carrying concealed.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Bounce

I don't understand that comment. I will admit that I have not carried yet but I do have my CCW. I am doing research and reading threads on here to help prepare for when I do. I can say that this forum is helping me a lot and I appreciate everyone's insight and experiences.

But what is the big deal if you accidentally expose your weapon? I wouldn't think it would case a panic and I doubt the person who saw the weapon would recognize you the next time they saw you and tell everyone or authorities that man there has a weapon.

The gun is registered and you have your CCW license I don't think you have anything to worry about. Now if you are constantly exposing your weapon then maybe you need to get new gear or if your too clumsy then possibly shelve your weapon.
Moon,

Welcome to the forum. Pleas stop by the introductions area and tell us about yourself.

For the record, you're 100% right in your assessment, despite not having any actual carry experience.

Sometimes we get caught up in our own glorious thoughts and our own vast experiences, that it takes the "ignorance" (please forgive the use if the word) of the inexperienced to clearly show us the correct way of thinking.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #27

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Bounce View Post

The law differs from state to state. In some places, you can be charged with 'brandishing' if your firearm is accidentally exposed, or even just printing. Others, you can be charged with 'inciting terror/fear' if someone sees your sidearm, throws a hissy fit and calls the law...Best off to just keep cool and cooperate if it comes to that, most cops will see it for what it is and tell you to have a nice day...

These laws are gradually changing for the better. Concealed means concealed...

Not sure I understand the 'registered gun' part of your post...can you explain?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 09-04-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In PA (I assume the same for all other states) it is illegal to carry a gun even if you have a CCW without that gun being registered with the state

Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Bounce
In PA (I assume the same for all other states) it is illegal to carry a gun even if you have a CCW without that gun being registered with the state
PA and CA and a small handful of others have registries. Most states, thankfully, do not.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

PA and CA and a small handful of others have registries. Most states, thankfully, do not.
Although truth be told, I had no idea PA has a registry.

Always have clean socks.