First time carrying questions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

First time carrying questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheever View Post
I was on a roller coaster with a rig with no retention strap on it. Came out of my waist and I caught it. Reholstered it quickly and the only one that noticed was my friend who was sitting next to me.
Good Lord I don't wanna think about a firearm falling off a roller coaster...

Old 08-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Good Lord I don't wanna think about a firearm falling off a roller coaster...
I don't want to think about it falling out at the top of a loop and someone catching it with their head at the bottom

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I have only been carrying for 9 months or so now. I carry a variety of guns from full size 1911 to pocket sized 9's. At first I was certain everyone could tell I had a gun and felt like everyone was looking at it. WRONG.

Look around the next time you are at a big store like WalMart. So many people we run across in everyday life barely even notice we are there, if they do at all. Many walk around like zombies.

I can not think of ever showing my gun to anyone else but recently I stopped a guy coming out of the bathroom of a store and told him to "check himself". His shirt was caught between his gun and him. He quickly fixed it, thanked me, and went on his way. That was that. So moral of the story, "after you're done, check your gun".

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #14

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Ive only had one time where I accidently dropped my gun off my belt. I used to use a cheap belt clip holster, my wife and I were getting ready to go out to eat with my parents but we had to get the dog in the house first. I saw him out by the cornfield at the edge of my property. He wasnt coming to me when I was yelling for him, in fact he was walking the opposite way. I started running after him, got about 15 feet, heard a click noise and felt something heavy hit my right ankle. Looked down just in time to see my 1911 land in a sloppy mud puddle. I stopped using those cheap holsters after that.

When I first started carrying I also thought everyone could see my piece, of course, I carried a hi-point .40 so everyone could see my piece. Dont laugh, I only carried it a couple months till I got the cash to get my 1911.

I wear loose fitting shirts so concealing my fullsize isnt an issue. Ive always wore loose fitting shirts, even before I started carrying because I will sweat profusely in a tight shirt. Ive got to be able to breath in a shirt. Im 6' tall and 175 lbs, I wear a large shirt. If I wear a medium it feels like Im being strangled.

Whatever you choose to carry, it'll take time to get used to it and comfortable with it. Hell I sometimes forget Ive even got mine on.

I sometimes open carry and people dont even act like they see it then. This is mostly due to the fact that I live in a town of about 4,000 surrounded by farm land. Everybody has a gun out here.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 08-26-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #15

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Was @ a gas station earlier this week and a gentleman using the stall in the bathroom dropped his pants to handle business and you hear this god awful clanging and banging,,, I look over to see his snubnosed revolver landed just outside the stall and then his arm reaching from under the partition, cussing the whole time. Had to laugh, would have joked him a lil but we were in the bathroom,, there's rules against such things.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #16

Liked 65 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you dropped your gun while conceal carrying then you need to put it back in the gun safe where it belongs . If you exposed it by accident. Same advice applys.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #17

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Beware of chairs that have cross slats. Had a close call at Olive Garden with my then GF. After eating lunch I went to get up and the bottom cross slat grabbed my G19's handle, she was riding in a Milt Sparks IWB at 4:30. If I wasn't paying as much attention as I was, it would've snatched it right out of my pants. Lucky for me all I had to do sit back down and make some funny looking adjustments. My GF looked at me like I was having a seizure or something.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
Beware of chairs that have cross slats. Had a close call at Olive Garden with my then GF. After eating lunch I went to get up and the bottom cross slat grabbed my G19's handle, she was riding in a Milt Sparks IWB at 4:30. If I wasn't paying as much attention as I was, it would've snatched it right out of my pants. Lucky for me all I had to do sit back down and make some funny looking adjustments. My GF looked at me like I was having a seizure or something.
LOL! Been there, done that.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
If you dropped your gun while conceal carrying then you need to put it back in the gun safe where it belongs . If you exposed it by accident. Same advice applys.
I couldn't disagree more. I think you should reconsider your carry gear, but I don't think you should shelve the firearm entirely. Hopefully you learn from your experience and you move on with life.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #20

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Serious moment. The most important thing to remember. What is that word.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.