Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First time carrying questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 545 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 683

Default First time carrying questions

When you first started carrying how did you feel? Were you a bit uncomfortable?

Have you ever dropped or exposed your weapon at a bad time while carrying?

Just curious.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

LOT of threads/replys about both questions in this very section ---
Take some times to read & you'll get a lot of answers-----------------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

At first most people think everyone can tell they're carrying but they cannot. Also don't play around with your handgun and it won't fall out and only a small chance of it being exposed if you are reaching high up over your head.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

Liked 162 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba
When you first started carrying how did you feel? Were you a bit uncomfortable?

Have you ever dropped or exposed your weapon at a bad time while carrying?

Just curious.
It wasn't really my first time carrying, as a matter of fact, it happened about a year ago. I was carrying a little 380 in a cheap fabric clip on middle of the back holster while buying some stuff at Walmart before heading out to the beach. The clip broke and the gun with holster slipped down my shorts, hit my foot and I kicked it a across the isle just before the registers. Lol. Everyone looked as I ran and picked it up. Then everyone went about their business. Only in Miami.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1032 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
It wasn't really my first time carrying, as a matter of fact, it happened about a year ago. I was carrying a little 380 in a cheap fabric clip on middle of the back holster while buying some stuff at Walmart before heading out to the beach. The clip broke and the gun with holster slipped down my shorts, hit my foot and I kicked it a across the isle just before the registers. Lol. Everyone looked as I ran and picked it up. Then everyone went about their business. Only in Miami.
LOL. If that had happened up here, you probably would have had to wait for LE to show up to calm everybody down. Then again, it would depend on the time of year. Around hunting season, you see a lot more people carrying.

It took me about a month to get used to carrying, and to get my rig settled where I like it. I wear shirts and jackets that are a little long for my body, as well as loose fitting, to insure that my 1911 stays covered.

Have had only one fall out\off. I was working at my mother's shop about 12 years ago. I discovered that my belt was twisted and went into the office to fix the problem, and forgot that I was wearing jeans one size larger than my waist due to using an IWB holster. I loosened and undid my belt, and oops! The weight of the pistol pulled my pants down to about my knees, and my pistol, holster and all, slid across the floor and under her desk. Mom was in the office doing paperwork, and had to retrieve my 1911 from under her desk. Her only response: "Next time, take it out and put it on the desk first please." while trying not to laugh.

We still were getting a chuckle out of this incident 2 years later when she got sick. I would go to pick her up at the hospital, and she would always ask If my gun was secure and my belt was tight. Sick as she was, we both still were getting a laugh out of it. It's been 10 years, and I still miss her.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

vincent Likes This 
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #6

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

When I first started carrying, I just knew everyone could see it. I was also carrying a Smith 65-3 though. I knew everyone could see it....because it was freaking huge and printed like a damn press.

Funnily enough, the only one who ever noticed and said anything was a cop while in a Wendy's. I momentarily exposed it while reaching for my wallet. He didn't even ask to see my carry permit. Instead, he asked me about the custom work I'd done to it, and eventually I did an action job and hammer bob on his model 36.

These days I open carry when not at work (I don't carry at work. Mayor made us sign an agreement. I did, and also told him I would fight to see him out of office). Even while open carrying my full size 1911, no one notices. I've actually had a lady say, "I just thought that was a cell phone!" I pointed out there was no damn way I'd be putting it to my head.

Just shows you how oblivious people people are.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #7

Liked 545 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I've actually had a lady say, "I just thought that was a cell phone!" I pointed out there was no damn way I'd be putting it to my head.
Why of course its a cell phone - made by Glock!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #8

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Honestly, as tough as those guns are, I'd buy a damn GLOCK cell phone in a heartbeat. As long as it has better ergonomics.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3588 Times on 2235 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Haven't had any exposures but when I started carrying, when I lived in NC, I was sure I was printing 100% of the time and everyone could see it. No one ever said a word.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I started carrying when I was 19 in SD (you could there during that time frame) and carried till I was 22, then quit for a few years and carried again at 26. I have never had anyone say they see anything. I am 5'4" and have carried a full size 1911 at times. People are oblivious. At one time I had a LEO pat me down and I literally had to take his hand and put it on the pistol for him to figure out where it was. Only dropped it twice in all that time (39 now). Once I had an inappropriate rig and dropped it on a public stairwell. I was so obsessed with ‘did I damage it’ that it took me a moment to notice people staring at me. I reholstered and walked away…quickly. Second , I was on a roller coaster with a rig with no retention strap on it. Came out of my waist and I caught it. Reholstered it quickly and the only one that noticed was my friend who was sitting next to me.