First time buying
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First time buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time buying

What I need to know

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Hi there- and welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop by the intro thread, and tell us a bit about yourself.

Your question is so broad, I am going to have to give you a very broad answer-

Know where you should be buying. If you are a total novice, nooby, green as grass, know ZIP about guns, most important thing to know is a good local gun shop. Find folks you can talk to, ask questions, and get good info. First, go shopping for a gun shop. No, they are not all the same.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

I would also add that you get training on Self Defense and Concealed Carry.

Those courses will help you decide what works for you.

Some gunshops may want to sell you what they have in overstock.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

As they said, I'd start with the gun shop. Like a used car dealership, walk out the door if they get pushy or make you uncomfortable. Friendly staff that wants to listen and help sometimes aren't that hard to find, I also like to look for variety in their products. The only thing worse than listening to a fanboy owner, is having a fanboy dealer try to sell you something. Its demoralizing. If I walk in the door and can see at least 5 different makers at a minimum, I feel its worth looking around.

Many gun store owners (always try to meet the owner if you can, if nothing else just to build rapport) are also knowledgeable in their local laws, and many are pretty friendly and don't mind at all if you pick their brain. They don't want to see you on the evening news being arrested for something stupid, and have the anchor mention "oh by the way, it was Joe Bob's Outfitters that the the gun was purchased at" or any kind of similar nonsense.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2224 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Here's an NRA site that can help you find the appropriate training in your area.

NRA Education and Training

If you can be more specific in your questions, please do so. There are a lot of folks on here more than willing to help.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell22504 View Post
What I need to know
Like the others have noted. Take a class or two that covers firearm safety. Don't buy until you have had a class and understand the safety requirements.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Like the others have noted. Take a class or two that covers firearm safety. Don't buy until you have had a class and understand the safety requirements.
Good advice from everyone. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start researching local and state gun laws for your area. My state, for example, requires you to obtain a permit from the sheriff before you can legally purchase a handgun.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who have given me some good advice about some of my purchasing questions and the more specific the questions, the better people can help.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

Thanks for all of your advice

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Also try to find a gun shop with a firing range so you can rent a couple different models you are looking at. This way you can decide on what you feel most comfortable shooting which is often one of the most important overlooked factors in finding a gun.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
Good advice from everyone. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start researching local and state gun laws for your area.
This is a great link to state laws. I cuts through legal jargon and its updated as they change. NRA-ILA ::

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson