Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   First full day (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/first-full-day-22531/)

kodiak1973 01-24-2010 03:11 AM

First full day

So I just recently (Wednesday) got my CCDW! I've been working all week, so I haven't been able to exercise my new freedom. However, I spent all day today carrying for the first time. Managed a trip out for breakfast, a visit to the grocery store, and even a hair cut.

So is it normal to feel extra paranoid about everybody noticing you? Was a little odd, but was kind of nice having my Kimber with me the whole time. Any newbie advise for carrying would be appreciated!

Gojubrian 01-24-2010 03:43 AM

That's normal. I haven't been carrying long (3months) and I still feel that way sometimes.

Just make sure you conceal good and try not to adjust it too much.

Always carry.

gorknoids 01-24-2010 07:03 AM

It'll pass. You'll know it when you feel naked without it.

spittinfire 01-24-2010 11:39 AM

You'll get over it. After a while it will seem strange to not have it on you or with you. I decided early on that if I could get it past my wife, no one else would notice so I tried wearing it a few places without telling her. She didn't know until we got home and I took it off.
Take some time, play with location and maybe a couple of holsters. Make sure it's comfortable or you won't likely being carrying long.

Mark F 01-24-2010 12:07 PM

You will become comfortable with CCW before too long. I didn't experience that feeling when I got my license, but then again... I always carried some sort of SD weapon.

canebrake 01-24-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 217602)
It'll pass. You'll know it when you feel naked without it.

+1 gork, like pulling out of your driveway with your seat belt unfastened. It will feel strange with out it.

If you have a good carry rig, (belt & holster) you should start to find it as common as wearing socks. Oh, that's not a good analogy for down here!

Just keep your hands off the package. It doesn't need adjustment.

spittinfire 01-24-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 217650)

Just keep your hands off the package. It doesn't need adjustment.

+1000 on that cane. You want to give away the fact that you're carrying just start messing with it. It's like farting in church, just don't do it.

UnderFire 01-24-2010 07:28 PM

Yes, I agree "hands off".
Other good advice has been a very comfortable holster.
I've been carrying for years...you want somthing that you can't even feel it's there, but you know it's there.

If I could only figure out how to stuff my shotgun down my pants & carry it concealed. :)

jimbobpissypants 01-24-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderFire (Post 217775)
Yes, I agree "hands off".
Other good advice has been a very comfortable holster.
I've been carrying for years...you want somthing that you can't even feel it's there, but you know it's there.

If I could only figure out how to stuff my shotgun down my pants & carry it concealed. :)

+1 VERY COMFY. You spent at least $800 for your Kimber. Don't be afraid to invest $150 on a very nice holster. It will last you a lifetime.

Mark F 01-24-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 217763)
It's like farting in church, just don't do it.

Since when??? There's nothin' like dropping an SBD as you stroll the isle.