Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First day CCW, not so good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I had a mag go mia once, got out of the passenger side of the wifes suv and heard it hit the pavement. At the time i was carrying a hi point and the mag release didnt take much to pop.

For the first week or two i felt odd carrying but i dont now and i carry everyday im outside the house.

I once went target shooting at a buddy's house on the other side of the county, on the way back home i stopped at the local circle k gas station for a fountain drink since it was a touch over 100 degrees. I walked in got my drink and stood in line to pay for it and felt like the two people behind me were eyeballing me pretty hard but didnt really give it a second thought. When i got back out to my truck i realized why, i forgot to take off my drop leg holster and still had my .45 in it, i got so used to wearing it that i forgot i had it on. I live in Indiana and open carry is legal here so i didnt worry about it and apperently neither did anyone else.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
I had a mag go mia once, got out of the passenger side of the wifes suv and heard it hit the pavement. At the time i was carrying a hi point and the mag release didnt take much to pop.

For the first week or two i felt odd carrying but i dont now and i carry everyday im outside the house.

I once went target shooting at a buddy's house on the other side of the county, on the way back home i stopped at the local circle k gas station for a fountain drink since it was a touch over 100 degrees. I walked in got my drink and stood in line to pay for it and felt like the two people behind me were eyeballing me pretty hard but didnt really give it a second thought. When i got back out to my truck i realized why, i forgot to take off my drop leg holster and still had my .45 in it, i got so used to wearing it that i forgot i had it on. I live in Indiana and open carry is legal here so i didnt worry about it and apperently neither did anyone else.
Thats funny.. Thats a good one..

Old 03-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #33

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Relax my friend, all of the "every one is starring at me" feelings will pass soon. Then it becomes I feel Naked without my carry piece or I forgot I had it on.

As for the mag release goes, at first I checked my carry gun every time I moved, then I decided to mount a holster in the vehicle to stage the weapon when I get in and this takes out that chance of pressing the mag release while buckling or unbuckling the seat belt. Mistakes or accidents like this are lessons learned and are not always a bad thing, try to figure out what happened and take action to correct the situation, make it a positive thing and don't dwell on it.

Don't be so hard on yourself, CCW is a skill that takes time to get accustomed to, it is not mastered on day 1 or even year 1.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #34

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Thats why its critical to carry one in the chamber. Sometimes it happens. If a gun does that repeatedly i dont use it for ccw. Its also why i detest ambi mag relaeses and extended mag releases. The xdm mag release is kinda reccessed and difficult to depress with a full loaded mag so i dont mind it being ambi.

Witha revolver if the cylinder catch is pressed wrong it can dump all its rounds or just jam right up. Semi auto least you get one shot no matter if the mag autoejects by accident.
Not in this case. The Ruger SR9c, among others, has a magazine disconnect. Without the magazine properly in place, you're SOL as far as being able to depend on that one in the pipe.

Bad feature, in my opinion.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #35

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I had a similar feeling when I first started carrying and I was always checking my shirt to make sure it was covered up.

It's due to something being different. You're carrying a gun and you're painfully aware of that. Once you find the right holster for you, over time it will become like carrying your cell phone, your wallet, or your keys. You won't even think twice about it. In fact, you'll be painfully aware if you don't have it on.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #36
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1672 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Mounting a holster in the vehicle is a good idea for other reasons also. Some of us work for employers who do not allow us to carry in the building. We can leave the weapon in a locked vehicle in the parking lot. A holster in the car is a natural place to leave it while at work.

Relocating the weapon frequently (back and forth to work at least) gives practice with both the car holster and your CCW holster. Might want to spend a little time practicing with an unloaded gun to get past the early part of the learning curve.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/