First day CCW, not so good. - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First day CCW, not so good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
Today was my first day of concealed carry. It was very odd, I felt like I was breaking the law driving down the road. I have been practicing a lot and felt I was ready to give it a go. Aside from feeling like everyone was looking at me like I was carrying a bazooka. How long will it take for the feeling that everyone I look at I feel they know I am carrying?
I was wrapping my day up and popped into Chipotle to pick up dinner for the family. When I got back into my truck to my surprise, sitting on my seat was a fully loaded pistol magazine. When I undid my seat belt to get out I must have hit the mag release. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you where your seat belt overtop of your pistol or kind of wrap it around? I want to be able to get at it.
But more importantly if that one in a million kazillion happed in chipotle I would have pulled out a pistol with no magazine in it. Does anyone kind of do a check as they enter and exit there vehicle of their pistol? It really bothered me; I felt I had failed terribly for my first day. Leaving my damn magazine on my truck seat my first day what a blunder.
Let’s hear it please.
You are just suffering from anxiety, you are taking on your new responsibility of carrying a loaded firearm on your person. Its a normal thing to experience this feeling at first. It will go away as you get used to carrying, before long it will just be second nature and part of your daily life. Enjoy your god given right brother.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #22

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

The anxiety will pass, your comfort and confidence level will rise and the "new" will wear off. You will always know that it is there, but not think about it unless you need to think about it. Even with a 1911 inside the waist band, you forget about it.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a Galco ankle holster for my G27 and M&P .40 compact. I like the feeling of carrying, it gives me the security for me and my family if something was to happen. Just be safe and the anxiety will pass. Remember it's our right to carry so remember to vote in November against the Marxist In Chief.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #24

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
I carry a SR9C in an outside the waistband holster, a fobus paddle holster. It covers the trigger guard entirely and has great retention, that’s why I chose it. I carry it about 3:30 or so with 15 degree tilt forward.
I did learn a valuable lesson today, but at 44 years old I still feel like a dumbass
I also carry the SR9C at times
I'm 62 & STILL feel like a dumass at times
It'll pass - (mostly)

And as MrWray said-- Its your RIGHT to lawfully carry!!!!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
Today was my first day of concealed carry. It was very odd, I felt like I was breaking the law driving down the road. I have been practicing a lot and felt I was ready to give it a go. Aside from feeling like everyone was looking at me like I was carrying a bazooka. How long will it take for the feeling that everyone I look at I feel they know I am carrying?
I was wrapping my day up and popped into Chipotle to pick up dinner for the family. When I got back into my truck to my surprise, sitting on my seat was a fully loaded pistol magazine. When I undid my seat belt to get out I must have hit the mag release. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you where your seat belt overtop of your pistol or kind of wrap it around? I want to be able to get at it.
But more importantly if that one in a million kazillion happed in chipotle I would have pulled out a pistol with no magazine in it. Does anyone kind of do a check as they enter and exit there vehicle of their pistol? It really bothered me; I felt I had failed terribly for my first day. Leaving my damn magazine on my truck seat my first day what a blunder.
Let’s hear it please.
I live in Cincinnnati as well and would be uneasy carrying OWB. Maybe if it was super cold and i had on my heavy duty coat. I prefer IWB, not as comfy but you get used to it quick. I carry a G23 and never had that mag release issue. Could it be the holster?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the great advice, i will keep at it. Working with two other holsters to see what will work for me. I am very competitive person and dont like feel like i lost at something

Old 03-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #27

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Sometimes it's real easy to think the magazine is latched in but they can fool you, it's fooled me and that's why the CCW instructor told us to take the heal of the palm to slam the magazine home. New pistols can be a bit stiff in latching in so it doesn't hurt to check to be sure they're latched before holstering.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've noticed that my LCP that I put in a fanny pack when I walk, it will sometimes press the magazine release. Not sure if I'm hitting it or it's just a tight fit in the pack. Doesn't happen all the time, but a couple times is too many.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I first began carrying, I felt exposed and like everyone was staring. MD1911 is correct in that the feeling goes away. After a week, putting my holster and Sig Sauer P 220 on became as natural as grabbing my wallet and car keys. It no longer is an issue. As for the accidental releasing of the magazine, watch that carefully. The fix could be as sinple as adjusting the location you carry, or perhaps making an adjustment to the holster. If it continues to happen, you may want to consider changing your sidearm.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #30

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can remember my first day. I have carried for 38 years. The thing that really scares me is when I don't have it on.

As far as your MIA magazine, try a different holster or you did not fully seat your mag in the first place.