First day CCW, not so good. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First day CCW, not so good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just give it some time. Eventually it will be second nature to you. I carry iwb mostly and have never had an issue with a mag releasing on me. May need to fine tune your setup a little. Just keep at it and you'll do fine.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #12

Same gun i use. My mag release is actually a little stiff so i have not had it fall out for me. I use a IWB holster which for me works very good. Everything is covered up by kydex and i couldnt hit the mag release. Just practice carrying and withdrawing it. Alot, then it will start to feel apart of you.

I believe the SR9C will not shoot if the mag is not in the firearm. Even if one is chambered. So it is important that the mag be there. Its the one thing i would like to change. Otherwise i love the gun and it shoots great.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I recently changed carry positions and felt the same way all over again. Its something you get used to after a while.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #14

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03 View Post
Just give it some time. Eventually it will be second nature to you. I carry iwb mostly and have never had an issue with a mag releasing on me. May need to fine tune your setup a little. Just keep at it and you'll do fine.
^^^THIS^^^

I knew if i waited long enough someone would say it better than me...

I've found OWB and a seatbelt don't get along too well, like the man said, fine tune the setup...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #15

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

11handicap

No need to beat yourself up. Think back to your first cell phone. How many times did you leave it "somewhere" by mistake? True, it's a bit more distressing to do this with your guns magazine but as with anything new, there is a learning curve.

I began CCW 16 years and on that day began a process of learning what worked and what didn't.

From your description of the event it sounds like you carry strong side and decided to run your seatbelt between your gun and your body so you could access the gun if needed while driving.

To quote Clint Smith, either drive or shoot, Trying to do both is folly.

There is the real concern of being car jacked while stopped. I can tell you that trying to draw a gun holstered strong side while seated in a car is extremely difficult.

Personally, if traveling through a bad area, I will unholster and put my gun in easy reach or if on a long trip, bring a second "truck gun" that rides in a seat mounted holster.

Hope that helped and remember, the one unforgivable lapse would be to get home and leave you gun within reach of a child. Practice positive retention 100% if kids are ever present. That means it's either on your hip or under lock and key.

Tack

Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7103 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Personally, if traveling through a bad area, I will unholster and put my gun in easy reach or if on a long trip, bring a second "truck gun" that rides in a seat mounted holster.Tack
I don't CC but here is a thought. When driving, I keep my cell phone either on my person or I shove it under a thigh. If you lay a cell phone (or gun) on the seat next to you and you get in an accident. Your cell phone (or gun) will not be anywhere that you could find easily. A seat mounted holster sounds like a great idea.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Keep doing what your doing, I talk to other ccw's about the holsters they use, carry position etc. all the time. Learning from the experience of others is always cheaper. I find the self consciousness subsides for most people after a couple weeks, but the paranoia never goes away; learn to use it. Look at the people around you, do threat assessments on everyone you see. Pay more attention to people who seem agitated or nervous. If you have a good comfortable holster you will forget you have a gun on you, any more I feel weird when unarmed. When I carried a 1911 I had the safety turn to fire a few times from my body movements ( nylon iwb small of back) so I made a habit of checking the safety (and later the mag well also) when I would stand up. Take note of who is around you first, touching your carry to do this can be construed as brandishing depending on wording of local laws. As far as your magazine/belt issue, make a habit of looking down at your seat before closing the car door. I started doing that after locking my keys in the car. Just as we have developed habits and routines for safe handling at the range, now you must do the same for carrying. Best advice I've received is that concealed carry is exactly that, concealed. If your messing with it, adjusting the holster, or if it is uncomfortable (your body language can give away that you are carrying) it isn't concealed. Glad you started carrying, hope you never need it.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3680

As far as dropping the mag, everyone else has pretty much covered it. I wouldn't really be of any use as I'm a south paw.

As far as feeling like people are watching you, or looking at you, it's natural to feel that way. It's nerves. Give it time, and you'll be fine. Just don't overthink it and act like you did before (for the most part).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #19

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I carry with a shoulder holster, my first day my sister gave me a hug and my mag fell out. I still carry the same and the same gun I'm just a little more careful about what I do. About the seat belt just before you get out of the car after you unbuckle check your mag you don't have to take the gun out of the holster just a little press check. Also worse comes to worse if something like that does happen and I just don't realize it I carry three extra mag along with the one in the gun.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm also a lefty but from reading your problem I would strongly suggest IWB. The longer you carry the more you'll realize that it's very comfortable with the right holster selection. The feeling of "everyone knows" will be less with the IWB. I've been carrying for 4 yrs and I experimented around at first and quickly realized that carrying IWB quickly solved most of my issues...good luck

Last edited by mayscat44; 03-03-2012 at 04:42 PM.