Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First day CCW, not so good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First day CCW, not so good.

Today was my first day of concealed carry. It was very odd, I felt like I was breaking the law driving down the road. I have been practicing a lot and felt I was ready to give it a go. Aside from feeling like everyone was looking at me like I was carrying a bazooka. How long will it take for the feeling that everyone I look at I feel they know I am carrying?
I was wrapping my day up and popped into Chipotle to pick up dinner for the family. When I got back into my truck to my surprise, sitting on my seat was a fully loaded pistol magazine. When I undid my seat belt to get out I must have hit the mag release. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you where your seat belt overtop of your pistol or kind of wrap it around? I want to be able to get at it.
But more importantly if that one in a million kazillion happed in chipotle I would have pulled out a pistol with no magazine in it. Does anyone kind of do a check as they enter and exit there vehicle of their pistol? It really bothered me; I felt I had failed terribly for my first day. Leaving my damn magazine on my truck seat my first day what a blunder.
Let’s hear it please.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #2

The feeling of being watched or doing something wrong. Will go away with time. As far as loosing your mag that's never happened to me personaly. I'm sure it was a fluke. How do you carry. I carry mine in the small of my back.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like you already learned a valuable lesson.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a SR9C in an outside the waistband holster, a fobus paddle holster. It covers the trigger guard entirely and has great retention, that’s why I chose it. I carry it about 3:30 or so with 15 degree tilt forward.
I did learn a valuable lesson today, but at 44 years old I still feel like a dumbass

Old 03-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Thats why its critical to carry one in the chamber. Sometimes it happens. If a gun does that repeatedly i dont use it for ccw. Its also why i detest ambi mag relaeses and extended mag releases. The xdm mag release is kinda reccessed and difficult to depress with a full loaded mag so i dont mind it being ambi.

Witha revolver if the cylinder catch is pressed wrong it can dump all its rounds or just jam right up. Semi auto least you get one shot no matter if the mag autoejects by accident.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Having read your post JohM, I bet it was the right side mag release. As I undid my seat belt I bet I clipped it and it and did not notice. Very much my fault, sounds like this happens with some pistols than correct. I will defiantly not carry this one if it continues. But what is a fair amount of tries? One time, two time or what??

Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
Today was my first day of concealed carry. It was very odd, I felt like I was breaking the law driving down the road. I have been practicing a lot and felt I was ready to give it a go. Aside from feeling like everyone was looking at me like I was carrying a bazooka. How long will it take for the feeling that everyone I look at I feel they know I am carrying?
I was wrapping my day up and popped into Chipotle to pick up dinner for the family. When I got back into my truck to my surprise, sitting on my seat was a fully loaded pistol magazine. When I undid my seat belt to get out I must have hit the mag release. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you where your seat belt overtop of your pistol or kind of wrap it around? I want to be able to get at it.
But more importantly if that one in a million kazillion happed in chipotle I would have pulled out a pistol with no magazine in it. Does anyone kind of do a check as they enter and exit there vehicle of their pistol? It really bothered me; I felt I had failed terribly for my first day. Leaving my damn magazine on my truck seat my first day what a blunder.
Let’s hear it please.
Dont be so hard on yourself! For your first day it could have been much much worse. You realized your mistake and are asking how to improve it. The best advice I can give you is get a good nights sleep, have a nice big cup of joe in the AM, and strap your holster back on and remember that you arent breaking the law. You are someone who (in the right circumstance) can save a life and protect the good guys... As far as the mag falling out of your gun... Get a revolver. Just kidding. Practice getting in and out of your vehicle and just give your gun a quick tap on the bottom of the mag just to make sure its still there. After a while it will just be part of your routine. Good luck. Im sure you will do just fine.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6920

I do not conceal carry but I would imagine as you do it more and more it will become natural and you will figure out what works best for you. The first time for anything is a learning experience and trial and error will be the way to learn for a short while. Keep at it.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
I carry a SR9C in an outside the waistband holster, a fobus paddle holster. It covers the trigger guard entirely and has great retention, that’s why I chose it. I carry it about 3:30 or so with 15 degree tilt forward.
I did learn a valuable lesson today, but at 44 years old I still feel like a dumbass
I carry A S&W 1911PD in The small of my back,You should feel like it's part yourself soon.If I am not carrying I feel naked.Give yourself a break and learn from it.Good Luck & Carry safe & Proud 

Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

With my 9mm I made my own holster and found that when I sat down the magazine release button would have pressure on it. I simply made a hole in my holster so that wouldn't happen.

I'm not sure if that is your problem, but I thought I'd throw that out there.