Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First Concealed Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Your PM9 is 2 oz heavier than a G19 empty. I passed up a nice used PM9 with 3 mags yesterday at a good price. I thought it would make a good gun for my wife but she is happy with the G19 and did not want it. I may get myself an SR9C since she took my G19 or maybe a gen 4 G19 then I would have matching mags. The SR9c comes with a 10 rnd and 17 rnd mags and is the same weight as the PM9. 23oz unless I got the Kahr models mixed up again. I would like to find a G19 from a private party.

Last edited by JTJ; 11-01-2010 at 03:06 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
When I armed my daughter I thought about how much crap is in her purse, and opted for a 38 sp. revolver. It is light, and will fire covered in gunk from an uncleaned purse, I am not sure a semi automatic will always do that. The light ones have some kick, but she is okay with it, and she is only about 125 pounds.

Now that she carries some outside the purse she is thinking of also getting a 9 mm as she thinks she shoots it better then the higher calibers. I don't know about Alaska, but 9 mm rounds are also significantly cheaper to shoot for target practice then 40s and 45s are here in Florida.
Please, please tell her to not carry in her purse ! If somebody runs by and snatches her purse, she loses her gun too ! It also takes too long to draw from a purse. Get that girl a nice holster Dad !!

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
I find this not too amusing, sorry but I do.

One reason most women feel intimidated about guns and CCDW is when their boyfriends or husbands or even fathers take them out and hand them the biggest gun in their safe and say "Here Try This One Honey...." and then wonder why they don't enjoy shooting.
Don't try to teach her how to pee standing up. She may want to do things her way. support her don't play games with her. Confidence with anything only comes AFTER the fear of it is gone, so stop scaring her.
+1 I Totally agree Woody ! Once they're scared they want no parts of guns anymore.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
NRS

More than anything, test drive any handgun before buying. And, second, don't assume that what will work for you will work for her. Let her drive them too, and decide what she feels best with. It isn't personal protections if she's not 100% comfortable with it...

Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Yo Chris, I'm so glad you brought up Kahr 9's on this thread because I'd been considering one lately. LOVE my Kahr CW45 but have mostly been carrying LCP .380 (usually w/10-rd. ProMag) because of it's smallness/lightness. Have been reading so many positive comments by CW9 owners/carriers lately it was really affecting me... Kept coming back in my mind since I checked one out in a new (for me) gun store/range on Tues.... So today (Saturday) I plunked down my money ($435 + tax) and immediately ran 100 100% flawless rounds (of typical range fodder, WWB etc.) through it. VERY accurate... Fits my hand like a glove... Natural pointer... Excellent balance... Soaks up 9mm recoil nicely (for an 18 oz. gun!). I couldn't be happier and highly recommend the CW9 (especially as a first gun for new shooters) as well as ANY caliber gun in the PM and CW series. Love Kahrs in general... consider CW series an especially GREAT VALUE!... Fresh pic of my little Kahr family... (The 9 - in the foreground - is actually a bit smaller than the .45 though it doesn't quite look that way in this pic because of the angle):

I have owned a CW9 for sometime now. I love the gun. It is a solid shooting
gun and i can out shoot my Sig with it. I wish that the prices would have stayed down but you still got a good deal on it. I was torn between the CW 9 and CW 45 at purchase time but went 9mm because of ammo prices spiking so high.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Glock 19 is only gun that meets all your needs. 500 bucks. Concealable. Wife can handle it. Fun and affordable at the range. FWIW the Kimber is a dream though if you got the cash

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"I was torn between the CW 9 and CW 45 at purchase time but went 9mm because of ammo prices spiking so high."

JJamison: IMHO you made a wise choice. More and more lately I've been feeling that the Kahr CW9 can be characterized as a perfect all-around starter for new handgun owners to anchor their collection with. Size, weight, caliber, capacity and price is so middle-of-the-road desireable... If anyone gets familiar with that gun first, they'll know where to proceed. Know what I mean?

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #28

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I know Kahr is focusing on single-stack (Thin is Sexy is their motto). But I sure wish they stepped into the double-stack market.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
"I was torn between the CW 9 and CW 45 at purchase time but went 9mm because of ammo prices spiking so high."

JJamison: IMHO you made a wise choice. More and more lately I've been feeling that the Kahr CW9 can be characterized as a perfect all-around starter for new handgun owners to anchor their collection with. Size, weight, caliber, capacity and price is so middle-of-the-road desireable... If anyone gets familiar with that gun first, they'll know where to proceed. Know what I mean?
one of the Greatest starter pistols and for me an excellent ccw gun to add to my Para LDA 1445, Sig P228, and Sig P229R (duty gun) collection. I want a good single stack single action soon, i miss my old Brolin Arms .45 ACP.

Maybe try and get one of those Taurus 1911's, I like their look and have heard good things about them. But my CW9 will always be my off duty "do all" gun. Light, small, and a tack driver.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice collection! RE: Single stack .45's... It's sounding like there may be a few interesting 1911-2011 Centennial-inspired .45's coming out over the next few months so you may have some new choices soon.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL