First Concealed Weapon - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First Concealed Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
dcm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

are you looking for 1911's in 500 range or 45's or just a good concealed piece?
Either way you cant go wrong with a good snub. LCRs have a smooth trigger for the ladies (that doesnt sound right) and you could pick up the 357 model but load it with 38s. Give em a pocket holster toss it in their purse and yur done. For an auto maybe something in 380 (if you feel ok with that) a bersa thunder is a good size and their are smaller of course. keltec has the pf9 in 9mm that is very good but recoil can be a bit snappy. Make sure she trains so she doesnt let an auto bite her though especially from a quick draw.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1967 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 586

There are purses available specifically designed for concealed carry. The NRA store sells them as well as other places. The gun is separated and protected from the myrid of stuff women carry.
I was at the range with my wife earlier today. I had her shoot my SP101 which has a lightened trigger with 38 spl loads. She did pretty well but still has trouble with the trigger pull. Her hands are not that strong. Recoil is pretty light with a 25 oz revolver. The Glock 19 still seems to be her favorite. She tried a 26 with finger extension but liked the 19 better. I am still thinking of an SR9C or a Kahr CW9 for her. I need to have her try my PF9 but I am worried about recoil. I dont know why I worry as I have seen her shoot a 25 oz 45 but that was a long time ago. The 19 might be OK in a concealment purse but bulky otherwise. Matched pistols would allow sharing of mags.
I am looking at pistols that dont require a manual safety. A defense weapon may have to be used in a panic or groggy mode and I dont want a safety to confuse things. Revolvers are great for this but the striker fired pistols work the same way. DA/SA usually requires a hard trigger pull and then a possible grip adjustment. The trigger pull on a traditional DAO can be heavy also. The LRA's are an exception.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #13

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Also, I recommend that you read the sticky at the top of this section. Lots of good info (shameless plug for Cane).

Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I like my KelTec PF9 for CCW. Thin, light, sells for around $300. It's been reliable so far. I could carry 3 for the price of my Kimber.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBSix View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a pistol for my wife and I for concealed carry. After searching the net a little bit, I came across the Kimber Ultra Carry II and Glock 23. I am leaning more towards the Kimber because of the .45, I like the way it looks, and it seems to be thinner and therefor more comfortable while in the holster. Also, I would like to have some fun with it at the shooting range. Does anyone have any advice on which one I should pick, or do you have a better suggestion?

If it matters, I have medium sized hands and my wife has small hands. I am interested in having an inside waistband holster and my wife will probably carry it in her purse along with the million other items whose purpose I have yet to figure out.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!
MoBSix,

I had a very good friend of mine give me some advice when I was talking about my CCDW permit and wondering what i should carry. I said I wanted a comfortable carrying gun... he said that "Carrying a hand gun should be the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE thing you do." His meaning is that you should be constantly aware that it is on you and that at any given time be ready to produce it and be VERY uncomfortable about using it, but use it well.

That being said... start with a Galco purse for the misses for christmas. then find her a pistol OR revolver that is comfortable in her hands and not too hard on her with recoil. It is not important that she carry the most powerful gun she can hold and control at the range but to carry a weapon she can use confidently WHEN it counts. Let her pick Her gun, make it HER decision and help her become proficient with it. A carefully place shot is much more important than limb or head removal capacity.

For yourself, A glock 23 is a great gun. If you like the .45 and the glock frame and the size of the 23 (width) then look at a Glock 36. 45 acp punch with the frame size of a 23, carry a spare mag if needed. But don't expect her to carry or want your gun. If price is your primary issue, then you are looking in the wrong direction. What price is your and more importantly, your wife's security.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBSix View Post
She hasn't fired a .45 before, but I did surprise her by replacing the .38 in one of the revolvers she was firing with .357 super magnum. That was pretty funny.
I find this not too amusing, sorry but I do.

One reason most women feel intimidated about guns and CCDW is when their boyfriends or husbands or even fathers take them out and hand them the biggest gun in their safe and say "Here Try This One Honey...." and then wonder why they don't enjoy shooting.
Don't try to teach her how to pee standing up. She may want to do things her way. support her don't play games with her. Confidence with anything only comes AFTER the fear of it is gone, so stop scaring her.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #17

I reccommend you do it right from the beginning get a kel Tec pf 9, they're cheap, reliable and perfect for ccw.

It's not a range gun though. Just an awsome lightweight small pocket pistol.

And when you buy somthing else you can always sell the pf9. They're hot right now.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The PF9 is definitely a gun you want to break in with a few hundred rounds, then pretty much just a mag or two every month. It is NOT fun to shoot.

But it does its job. Personally, I'm not into cheap so I went with the Kahr PM9, but in many respects they fill the exact same purpose and the KelTec is hundreds cheaper.

The Kahr is REALLY fun to shoot and has no edges that will cut you up.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yo Chris, I'm so glad you brought up Kahr 9's on this thread because I'd been considering one lately. LOVE my Kahr CW45 but have mostly been carrying LCP .380 (usually w/10-rd. ProMag) because of it's smallness/lightness. Have been reading so many positive comments by CW9 owners/carriers lately it was really affecting me... Kept coming back in my mind since I checked one out in a new (for me) gun store/range on Tues.... So today (Saturday) I plunked down my money ($435 + tax) and immediately ran 100 100% flawless rounds (of typical range fodder, WWB etc.) through it. VERY accurate... Fits my hand like a glove... Natural pointer... Excellent balance... Soaks up 9mm recoil nicely (for an 18 oz. gun!). I couldn't be happier and highly recommend the CW9 (especially as a first gun for new shooters) as well as ANY caliber gun in the PM and CW series. Love Kahrs in general... consider CW series an especially GREAT VALUE!... Fresh pic of my little Kahr family... (The 9 - in the foreground - is actually a bit smaller than the .45 though it doesn't quite look that way in this pic because of the angle):

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 10-31-2010 at 02:45 AM.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #20

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I forgot about Kahr recoil. My teeny little PM9 has recoil that feels no different than a much larger Glock 19. It could be because of the recoil spring design (it has a double spring).

I heart Kahr!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face