First Concealed Weapon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > First Concealed Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Concealed Weapon

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a pistol for my wife and I for concealed carry. After searching the net a little bit, I came across the Kimber Ultra Carry II and Glock 23. I am leaning more towards the Kimber because of the .45, I like the way it looks, and it seems to be thinner and therefor more comfortable while in the holster. Also, I would like to have some fun with it at the shooting range. Does anyone have any advice on which one I should pick, or do you have a better suggestion?

If it matters, I have medium sized hands and my wife has small hands. I am interested in having an inside waistband holster and my wife will probably carry it in her purse along with the million other items whose purpose I have yet to figure out.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3105 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

First off, Welcome to the FTF. We have an "Introductions" section. Stop in there.

Second, Concealed carry should not be limited to only 1 firearm. It has been said "If you have one gun, then you have none. If you have 2 guns, then you have one." In other words, should breakage occur, you no longer are armed.

I have found that different situations and how I am dressed determines which firearms I carry.

With the large number of options available out there, I am hesitant to recommend what to purchase. I know what works for me, but my choice may not work for you. Is there anyway to try the two pistols? How about repair / upkeep down the road? Look at ammo availability, too.

My choice of the two would be the Kimber, but I am partial to 1911's

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

Second, Concealed carry should not be limited to only 1 firearm. It has been said "If you have one gun, then you have none. If you have 2 guns, then you have one." In other words, should breakage occur, you no longer are armed.
I don't fully understand this, do you mean carry 2 at once or just to keep a spare at home?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Carry two if possible or if you are with the spouse, and they carry, then maybe one. Murphy's law is still in effect.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 10-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #5

I never thought of that, but it's not a bad idea. Although I have definately been interested in the Kimber, I don't think I can afford 2 of them, do you have any suggestions of a good one in the $500 range?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Has the wife shot a 45 before? My GF has small hands also and finds a 45 too much kick.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Has the wife shot a 45 before? My GF has small hands also and finds a 45 too much kick.
She hasn't fired a .45 before, but I did surprise her by replacing the .38 in one of the revolvers she was firing with .357 super magnum. That was pretty funny.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1291 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 77

When I armed my daughter I thought about how much crap is in her purse, and opted for a 38 sp. revolver. It is light, and will fire covered in gunk from an uncleaned purse, I am not sure a semi automatic will always do that. The light ones have some kick, but she is okay with it, and she is only about 125 pounds.

Now that she carries some outside the purse she is thinking of also getting a 9 mm as she thinks she shoots it better then the higher calibers. I don't know about Alaska, but 9 mm rounds are also significantly cheaper to shoot for target practice then 40s and 45s are here in Florida.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

One consideration is that an object may enter the barrel if it is unprotected in a purse.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBSix View Post
She hasn't fired a .45 before, but I did surprise her by replacing the .38 in one of the revolvers she was firing with .357 super magnum. That was pretty funny.
I don't know why that wouldn't be funny to me. It is my job in my family to convence my wife to trust me when it comes to growing into firearms. I don't want to scare her off.

Just me...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face