Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   First CCW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/first-ccw-43919/)

bigbomar4 06-16-2011 03:37 AM

First CCW

I am looking for a new gun that I can carry concealed. I have a S&W sigma but it is to large for me to carry when Im only wearing a t-shirt. I am a very thin guy. Im only 140lbs and 6 ft tall. I dont want anything smaller than a 9mm and would prefer a .40cal like my sigma so I can use the same ammo and also for the knock down power. I have been to gun ranges and used the rental guns but this being TX all of the rental guns are large frame guns. Out of all of my friends and family that own guns they are all large frame pistols other than my dads airlite 9mm POS. Do yall have any suggestions?

AOK 06-16-2011 03:57 AM

If you need a semiauto that conceals better then you likely would want a single stack gun. A couple good options are the Kahr PM9 or Kahr PM40. If the thickness of a double stack doesn't bother you and you just want something with a shorter barrel or grip then look at subcompact Glocks and M&P's. Many other options out there such as Sig's and other brands. Continue to do your research and trying out guns. You will find the right gun for you soon enough. By the way, is printing illegal in TX?

JonM 06-16-2011 04:05 AM

check out the colt defender and new agent can be had in 45acp and 9mm.

ScottA 06-16-2011 04:23 AM

Kel Tec on the low end.
Kahr on the high end.
Ruger in the middle.

And about a dozen others.

Alchemist 06-16-2011 06:26 AM

Kahr CW9 or CW40.
Same size but more $: Walther PPS (in 9mm or .40).
Same size but only available in 9mm: Ruger LC9 (also has a safety).

Want even smaller with relative low cost? Kahr CM9... (Same size as PM9 but economy version).

Thin single-stacks rock for conceal carry!...

WDB 06-16-2011 08:37 AM

S&W M&P compact would fit the need if you want a semi. For light carry I like the S&W airweight revolvers.

canebrake 06-16-2011 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Ruger Elsie Ahrrrr 357

Marthor 06-16-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbomar4 (Post 523555)
I am a very thin guy. Im only 140lbs and 6 ft tall. I dont want anything smaller than a 9mm

Ruger LC9 is the thinnest 9mm I think.
Smallest Revolver that's bigger than 9mm is Ruger LCR 357.
Both of those can fit in your front pocket.

Before I bought my LCP, I was thinking like you that I didn't want to go lower than 9mm. Plus I already had 9mm ammo and didn't want to get a new caliber so that I'd have to buy more ammo. However, I ended up going with the LCP 380 auto after watching some video reviews. With good ammo like "Golden Saber", the LCP 380 auto has adequate stopping power and IMO is about the smallest gun you can get that still has "adequate" stopping power.

twobadazbrothers 06-16-2011 04:21 PM

glock 26,27,30 would be my first choice then a sig sauer 232:)

bigbomar4 06-21-2011 05:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have just been way to busy this week to do any reserch on these guns but I will as soon as possible. Also I forgot to mention in my original post that I realy would like a safety other than/in adition to the trigger safety. I am a lefty so I would either need one that has one on both sides or can be ordered with it on the right side. Thanks again.