Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Firearms loaded in vehicle lock box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1116 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Firearms loaded in vehicle lock box

Just was trying to get opinions on this topic.

I have a nano vault nv300 in my truck under the seat, do you guys leave your firearm loaded, while in the lock box? Loaded means just that, not just full mag, but also one in the chamber?

I have a G26 Gen4 and i have been keeping it fully loaded, while in the lock box? Just was seeing if this is a recommended practice?

Thanks for the input!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8607 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

From a LEGAL standpoint- depends on the law where YOU are, and most of us are lousy legal advisors.

From a functional sand safety standpoint- no reason not to. There should be nothing inside that the storage box that will cause the weapon to fire.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26love
Just was trying to get opinions on this topic.

I have a nano vault nv300 in my truck under the seat, do you guys leave your firearm loaded, while in the lock box? Loaded means just that, not just full mag, but also one in the chamber?

I have a G26 Gen4 and i have been keeping it fully loaded, while in the lock box? Just was seeing if this is a recommended practice?

Thanks for the input!
It's a bit tedious, but both my wife and I ALWAYS have a gun on our person OR in a lockbox in the car. I used to keep a gun hidden in my truck, but the nano vault with a cable makes it very difficult for someone to snatch it. I say tedious, because EVERY time I get in or out of my truck, I unlock/lock the lockbox. Don't want to fiddle with it if I were to need it, even though I also have one on my person.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #4

Pretty much the only time I leave my gun in the vehicle lock-box is when I'm at work. My company has anti-gun policies and I'd prefer not to lose my direct deposit. The gun comes out of the holster and into the lock-box in the morning and then the procedure is reversed when I leave -- always one in the chamber.

I know this is legal in Florida where I live... further because I have a CWFL in Florida there is a law protecting me when I leave the gun in the car.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I dont use a lock box in my truck, i just leave it under the seat or in the door pocket. My employer knows i carry but because i have a valid indiana handgun license they cant do anything about me having it in my vehicle.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #6

Liked 1871 Times on 1189 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Well, for your question as posted, of course it stays loaded in a lock box in my vehicle. Why would I unload/reload everytime I exit the vehicle? That would be inconvinient and some what dangerous. I don't like the idea of loading/unloading a weapon in my front seat in a crowded parking lot.

That said, where I live it's legal to have a loaded weapon in the car. I don't have any idea what the laws are where you reside.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I always have it loaded with a round in the chamber.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I always have a handgun loaded in my truck but not in a lockbox-
If I need it i sure dont want to say "WAIT- I gotta unlock my box & get my gun"

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I'm retired so no worry about employer rules & the only time I leave my pistol in my vehicle is because I'm going somewhere that it's illegal to carry. I'm a believer in locks only keep honest people out. The pistol case is only going to slow a determined scum bag down or, in some cases, discourage the laziest of them. I prefer that they don't get a loaded pistol, so I generally unload it & take mag & ammo with me. One exception to this would be if I was going into an area with a screening device, such as Federal Court, then I leave it loaded.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I have the same Nano vault box beneath car seat. When I have to leave firearm in box for some reason I leave it fully loaded with one in chamber awaiting my return.