Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > FINALLY received my CCW!! I have a question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default FINALLY received my CCW!! I have a question!

Ahoy folks, It's been quite a while since I have logged on here, I've been real busy at work. My CCW came in yesterdays mail & I need a little help with concealed carry laws in Louisiana. Is there any laws on the books regarding carrying with a round chambered? I couldn't find anything about it on the web. I carry a Springfield XD-40 subcompact, which unlike 1911's does not have a thumb safety (it does have a grip safety & trigger safety), I'm also wondering about the safety factor of having a round chambered in this type of pistol. Above ALL else, my goal is to be SAFE! I also just received my Crossbreed Supertuck with spare mag holders. SWEET rig!! Anyway, any help I could get from the knowledgable members here would be greatly appreciated, THANKS!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

I have the same gun have carried it a lot until I got my XDs with one in the chamber... I've also carried my 1911 ... IMO the grip safety and trigger safety are more than efficient to prevent accidental firing... because as you probly know both safety's must be engaged at the same time for your weapon to fire... as far as laws about loaded chamber... here in Utah the ccw holder is exempt from the empty chamber law

Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2177 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

I always carried my XD40SC with a round chambered. Having never carried before, it was a bit daunting at first, to me at least. But you'll adjust.
BTW, if you haven't, buy a good quality gun belt for it. It's makes it more comfortable. Comfort adds confidence when your not always adjusting yourself.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf
http://www.concealedcarryoflouisiana.com/louisiana-laws.html

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)
vincent Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There shouldn't be any opportunity for that gun to fire unless your hand is on the grip and finger on the trigger. And if I'm not mistaken there is another safety mechanism in the striker that prevent accidental discharge if dropped. I cArry my XDS with a round in the chamber and I strongly belive that if the time come that I need to use my firearm even the most practiced person would not have time to rack the slide and chamber a round before the aggressor attacks first.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I always carried my XD40SC with a round chambered. Having never carried before, it was a bit daunting at first, to me at least. But you'll adjust.
BTW, if you haven't, buy a good quality gun belt for it. It's makes it more comfortable. Comfort adds confidence when your not always adjusting yourself.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf
http://www.concealedcarryoflouisiana.com/louisiana-laws.html
^^^THIS^^^

That's pretty much the go to site for gun laws, they do a good job keeping it updated as the laws seem to be constantly changing...

Just keep your booger hook off the bang switch and you'll do fine...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 03-13-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Liked 3730 Times on 1842 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump View Post
Ahoy folks, It's been quite a while since I have logged on here, I've been real busy at work. My CCW came in yesterdays mail & I need a little help with concealed carry laws in Louisiana. Is there any laws on the books regarding carrying with a round chambered? I couldn't find anything about it on the web. I carry a Springfield XD-40 subcompact, which unlike 1911's does not have a thumb safety (it does have a grip safety & trigger safety), I'm also wondering about the safety factor of having a round chambered in this type of pistol. Above ALL else, my goal is to be SAFE! I also just received my Crossbreed Supertuck with spare mag holders. SWEET rig!! Anyway, any help I could get from the knowledgable members here would be greatly appreciated, THANKS!
Your XD is fine for "condition 1" carry. Negligent discharges occur with any pistol and IMHO they are always due to user error.

The most dangerous opportunities for it to occur are usually:

1. Reholstering... particularly with an IWB holster. The act of griping your XD will deactivate the grip safety and "reholster ND's" happen because clothing or worn out equipment enter the trigger guard and depress the trigger.

For anyone new to CC I'd suggest putting on your "holstered gun" rather than your holster, then your gun.

Nothing should be able to act upon your trigger while the gun is in the holster and though I don't own a Super Tuck, I do believe they completely cover the trigger area... which is what you want.

Some advocate carrying with NO round in the chamber for awile... at least until you become more comfortable with it. IMHO this is a personal choice and a "comfort zone" you'll need to decide for yourself.

Good luck.

Tack

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3843 Times on 2300 Posts
Likes Given: 3230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Your XD is fine for "condition 1" carry. Negligent discharges occur with any pistol and IMHO they are always due to user error.

The most dangerous opportunities for it to occur are usually:

1. Reholstering... particularly with an IWB holster. The act of griping your XD will deactivate the grip safety and "reholster ND's" happen because clothing or worn out equipment enter the trigger guard and depress the trigger.

For anyone new to CC I'd suggest putting on your "holstered gun" rather than your holster, then your gun.

Nothing should be able to act upon your trigger while the gun is in the holster and though I don't own a Super Tuck, I do believe they completely cover the trigger area... which is what you want.

Some advocate carrying with NO round in the chamber for awile... at least until you become more comfortable with it. IMHO this is a personal choice and a "comfort zone" you'll need to decide for yourself.

Good luck.

Tack
Great advice Tack! Yet, I personally feel that you should always have a round in the chamber. This is no different then having rounds in all the chambers of your revolver. We are talking precious seconds trying to put a round in the chamber. The draw should be smooth, quick and unhindering right to the point of firing the weapon. Most people will look down to pull back on the slide, which means losing sight of the target. That loss of target is all I would need to draw my weapon and fire. I recommend to practice at the range drawing and firing your weapon with dummy rounds to get use to carry with round in the chamber. Please talk to a qualified instructor if you are not sure of how to draw and fire from CC. I would explain it, but it is better in person. Use live rounds at the range when you feel comfortable. Carry your weapon unloaded around the house and do everyday chores to get use to CC. Please warn your family though. This basic training should not take very long, because you will see very quickly that it is safe to have a round in the chamber. I guess it is best to not have a round chambered until you feel comfortable and capable. Oh, there are great classes to help you with these and other skills. Please utilize.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Yeah I agree... ya know when I started not so long ago carrying I ejected my magazine... holstered my gun then put my magazine back in.... carried empty chamber... but as I got more comfortable with my gun and my confidence grew I now carry locked and loaded... just take your time bro... find your groove... we all had to at some point

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #9

Liked 3730 Times on 1842 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Great advice Tack! Yet, I personally feel that you should always have a round in the chamber. This is no different then having rounds in all the chambers of your revolver. We are talking precious seconds trying to put a round in the chamber. The draw should be smooth, quick and unhindering right to the point of firing the weapon. Most people will look down to pull back on the slide, which means losing sight of the target. That loss of target is all I would need to draw my weapon and fire. I recommend to practice at the range drawing and firing your weapon with dummy rounds to get use to carry with round in the chamber. Please talk to a qualified instructor if you are not sure of how to draw and fire from CC. I would explain it, but it is better in person. Use live rounds at the range when you feel comfortable. Carry your weapon unloaded around the house and do everyday chores to get use to CC. Please warn your family though. This basic training should not take very long, because you will see very quickly that it is safe to have a round in the chamber. I guess it is best to not have a round chambered until you feel comfortable and capable. Oh, there are great classes to help you with these and other skills. Please utilize.
I agree with ALL of ^^this^^ and always carry in condition 1... but I recognize that my 6 years of Infantry service and my 17 years of EDC give me a comfort zone that a person new to CCW might not share yet...

...and I'd hate to see a new "carry guy" get scare off after zinging a round through there thigh or azz cheek!

Tack

Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 706 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Louisiana is NOT a empty chamber state!!

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered