Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Finally going to be a firearm owner (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/finally-going-firearm-owner-9196/)

Duke81 12-16-2008 01:17 AM

Finally going to be a firearm owner

After fairly extensive research, I'm almost ready to purchase my first handgun. The purpose being protection. I've shot many guns over the years but never owned one that my life might depend on. I'm going with a 9mm striker-fire first, then going with, probably, a .40 this spring that will ultimately be on my side or in the night stand at all times. The 9mm will be used to kinda tune my shooting skills until then (range time, plinking, possibly peacocks in the back yard, that sorta thing) I've pretty much narrowed it down to the SR9, M&P, or XD. The SR9 seems to be more cost efficient, slimmer, 18 rnds, assuming the mag safety can be removed, should be a perect fit for its purpose. Any thoughts??

junho806 12-16-2008 02:21 AM

all three of those are great guns
wouldn't go wrong with them
it just comes down to personal preference
:D
have you shot all three?
which one just felt "right" when you held and shot it?
i would go with which ever that one was

Duke81 12-16-2008 02:44 AM

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll probably have two of the three anyway before the end of winter. I'll post feedback when available.

junho806 12-16-2008 03:02 AM

yeah definitely
looking forward to some pics and range report
:D

Jedi Knight 12-20-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke81 (Post 55969)
After fairly extensive research, I'm almost ready to purchase my first handgun. The purpose being protection. I've shot many guns over the years but never owned one that my life might depend on. I'm going with a 9mm striker-fire first, then going with, probably, a .40 this spring that will ultimately be on my side or in the night stand at all times. The 9mm will be used to kinda tune my shooting skills until then (range time, plinking, possibly peacocks in the back yard, that sorta thing) I've pretty much narrowed it down to the SR9, M&P, or XD. The SR9 seems to be more cost efficient, slimmer, 18 rnds, assuming the mag safety can be removed, should be a perect fit for its purpose. Any thoughts??

Awesome. I just recently brought my own first gun - an ultralight .38 special.

I have read myself that simply finding a gun that fits and functions well in your hand is one of the most important factors, at least for a beginner.

btw - cool to see someone on here from Murfreesboro. I'm not too terribly far from you.

freefall 12-20-2008 01:14 AM

DO NOT de-activate a factory safety device. Will make you look like a Rambo wannabe or an irresponsible fool if you ever need to shoot someone with it. If you don't like the "safety" device, buy a gun that doesn't have one.