Finally decided on on my choices for an OC handgun. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Finally decided on on my choices for an OC handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Since your wife and father in law will also be there, whats the chance that either of them can handle something more powerful? You said that he will be carrying a .40 as well....
So....3 people that can handle a .270, cannot handle (at the least) a .357 magnum? Im very confused by this. Also confused by your comments that the pistol is for use in the thick brush where you cant use a rifle, and while tracking for 10+ miles? Where are you planning to use the rifle? Oh yea, in an open field. That sounds quite few and far between from your statements.
All I can say is good luck. And try not to smell too tasty.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #42
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3178 Times on 2158 Posts
Likes Given: 695

I'm surprised no one mentioned "having the barrel ported" but that could be cost prohibited to some.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
orangello Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned "having the barrel ported" but that could be cost prohibited to some.
A good point. Its not that expensive though. A fraction of the cost of a gun.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

One problem with that .270 will be getting it on target with no irons and a BIG scope.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=365265314
What about two-handing something like this? You probably won't have time for many shots anyways. It's ported, two handable, and lighter than a shotgun would be.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366216038 This would be two handable as well and in a cartridge that would stand a chance, probably a better chance with the boost of the long barrel.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

JW357 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3178 Times on 2158 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

A good point. Its not that expensive though. A fraction of the cost of a gun.
My Dad did it to his Comp. Ruger Security Six, which he liked so much that he ditched his Colt Trooper and began to carry the Ruger on Duty until his agency went to Ruger P-85's...He liked it so much he convinced my Uncle to do it to his 357 & 44, Then They then had it done for the 6" Python they were giving me as a birthday present. If it's still that inexpensive we'll do it for the wife's SP101. I also remember one of my Cousins having it done to his Ruger 44 Carbine

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #46

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I will take a look at some of the ported .357's but now any plans of getting a pistol have to be put on hold. Some of you I know saw my thread about the issue where the pawn shop fired our rifles while they were in pawn. Well went to the range today and shot some Winchester Super X out of my .270 and the barrel blew out on me so now I am going to have to get a new rifle first. Savage won't cover it because they said under normal use the barrel should never blow out which is correct. I can only assume The pawn shop ion some way did pretty serious damage to the barrel.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

You need to raise hell with the pawn shop, maybe get a lawyer to write them a letter.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter
I will take a look at some of the ported .357's but now any plans of getting a pistol have to be put on hold. Some of you I know saw my thread about the issue where the pawn shop fired our rifles while they were in pawn. Well went to the range today and shot some Winchester Super X out of my .270 and the barrel blew out on me so now I am going to have to get a new rifle first. Savage won't cover it because they said under normal use the barrel should never blow out which is correct. I can only assume The pawn shop ion some way did pretty serious damage to the barrel.
That sucks man. Definitely raise hell with the pawn shop.

Regarding the handgun, I suggest you try to rent a Taurus 608. It's an 8 shot .357 Magnum which comes ported from the factory. That gun would be an excellent gun for your purposes, IMO.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

My Dad did it to his Comp. Ruger Security Six, which he liked so much that he ditched his Colt Trooper and began to carry the Ruger on Duty until his agency went to Ruger P-85's...He liked it so much he convinced my Uncle to do it to his 357 & 44, Then They then had it done for the 6" Python they were giving me as a birthday present. If it's still that inexpensive we'll do it for the wife's SP101. I also remember one of my Cousins having it done to his Ruger 44 Carbine
Doc,

Here's the pricing. It's really not too bad for wheel guns, IMO.

http://www.magnaport.com/misc.html

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Now you have an excuse to buy an ar15 with those evil hicap magazines lol. I'd recommend a stag arms in 6.8 spc its a 270 cal bullet that will work good on deer and highly discourage a bear

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.