Finally decided on on my choices for an OC handgun. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Finally decided on on my choices for an OC handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
My thoughts are' and I am sure some you can tell me whether right or wrong, that multiple shots hitting the same bone in a short amount of time would weaken that bone and at least one round would get through. I have tried .357's and .44 magnums and both are just to much gun for me. I will just have to make do with the SR1911 since that is what I have decided on.
That works great if your bear takes a nap just before he eats you. The bad thing is by hunting season, bears are much fatter than in the early spring, and their fur coats are longer and thicker. 9mms 40s and 45s would be lucky to penetrate the hide to even get to the bone.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #32
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Keep in mind tha the 40 and 45 are virtually identical with the same weight loads. 40 gives your more capacity which you are not going to have time to use and 45 gives you the choice of a heavier bullet and has a lot less snap than a 40 due to the pressure difference. The 1911 will be faster to shoot accurtately. Anna is right about no hp rounds. Solids are the only thing that has a chance of penetrating. The nose is the only reliable head shot as it has a clear path to the brain and is larger than the eye. Bears are incredibly fast and the chances of hitting the nose are small but may be your best shot as the 40 and 45 just dont have enough power for body shots to be reliable.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Get a big can of bear oc spray much more effective than shooting it with a caliber as small as a 40 plus its easier to use in a stress situation as it sprays out in a big cone

Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Though I would think the pre-uglied Glock 20
Such a thing does not exist.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #35

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
My thoughts are' and I am sure some you can tell me whether right or wrong, that multiple shots hitting the same bone in a short amount of time would weaken that bone and at least one round would get through. I have tried .357's and .44 magnums and both are just to much gun for me. I will just have to make do with the SR1911 since that is what I have decided on.
Best of luck to you. Considering that any handgun, regardless of caliber, is the worst of the options available to you to begin with, and that the likelihood of you being able to land multiple shots in a small group while being charged by 700 lbs of pissed off bear is remote at best...you will need it. Seriously though, have you considered packing a shot gun in lieu of a pistol? A 12 ga. slug will outperform most handgun loads. Also, if you are out hunting, why would your rifle not be sufficient for protection?
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #36

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

If the task is to find a bear killing handgun with less recoil than a .357 then I am afraid we are at a loss. No such thing.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

MTHunter, what do you hunt these elk with, and if a rifle, why not use that for a bear?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #38

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
MTHunter, what do you hunt these elk with, and if a rifle, why not use that for a bear?
I use my .270 bolt action I am simply looking for a backup just in case for some unforeseeable reason my rifle is out of play. I am very big on having a backup for everything however improbable it might be that I would have to use the backup.
phildenton Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 04:39 AM   #39

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Best of luck to you. Considering that any handgun, regardless of caliber, is the worst of the options available to you to begin with, and that the likelihood of you being able to land multiple shots in a small group while being charged by 700 lbs of pissed off bear is remote at best...you will need it. Seriously though, have you considered packing a shot gun in lieu of a pistol? A 12 ga. slug will outperform most handgun loads. Also, if you are out hunting, why would your rifle not be sufficient for protection?
We routinely walk 10+ mi while tracking whatever we are hunting through incredibly thick brush. Hunting season is also year round on that particular reservation so weather can be an issue as well so another long gun is absolutely ruled out. The pistol is only a backup for a worst case scenario.

Last edited by MTHunter; 09-18-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Jpyle Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #40

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Have you ruled out the nun chukkas?
Because it appears you've ruled out every pistol but the one you were going to get in the first place. Very sound advice your ignoring. Unsub'd
Axxe55 Likes This