You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Finally decided on on my choices for an OC handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
A rifle or shotgun w/ slugs would be ypur better bet, especially if you are already out hunting. Have you tried a 357 mag w/ a 4" barrel? To me felt about the same as shooting a 45 recoil wise. Is where youre talking about around the colville area?
Colville Reservation. And yes I have tried a .357 and it damn near flew out of my hand and into my face. My grip was probably wrong because of my lack of experience with revolvers. But it left a sour taste in my mouth for revolvers ever since.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6753 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc View Post
With hydrashocks
I am sorry, but a hydra-shock is useless on bears, get a hard cast lead bullet, and hope you don't ever see one. You want a bullet that can penetrate past its thick hide, and fat layer to get into his shoulders and break bone, or into the vitals. I work with animal control for the dept of fish and game and the Alaska wildlife conservation group, and we have captured bears and operated on them and found hollowpoints barely penetrating into their hide.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 09-14-2013 at 08:05 PM.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
....... Most of my hunting is done in Washington State on the Reservation where my wife is a tribal member. Lots of bear and cougar and some wolf. .........
Are you actually going to hunt these animals, or out deer hunting on their turf? Make lots of noise and stick close together if you are just hunting other kind of animals. If you are going to hunt bear with a 40 or 45, well..., I was a pleasure reading your posts.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #14

[quote=304inc;1371499][QUOTE=

I chose these to and not some the possibly superior weapons out their because they both fulfill all my requirements for a weapon.

Umm... not exactly bear slayers, I carry a .40 and love it, just don't know if I'd go against a grizzly with one. Hell maybe there fine, but then again what rifles are you hunting with? You know a pistol is used just to get to a rifle.[/quote]

For rifles we have a bolt action .308 and a bolt action .270. Only the .308 has iron sites which is why we are looking at carrying pistols has a back up while hunting. Do not want to rely on a bolt action at close range.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Are you actually going to hunt these animals, or out deer hunting on their turf? Make lots of noise and stick close together if you are just hunting other kind of animals. If you are going to hunt bear with a 40 or 45, well..., I was a pleasure reading your posts.
Deer and elk hunting on their turf . We do try and just scare any other critters off but sometimes that doesn't work. When we were living over there our survival was decided by whether or not we could get a deer or an elk every time we went hunting. There was one time where we had no choice but to put down a momma black bear because she was trying to push us away from the elk we had just taken. Fortunately we were in an open field so our rifles were fine for the job but in the woods they definitely are not. The brush is so thick in some places you can't even see your own feet while walking through the woods. We can easily be out walking for 10 mi or more while tracking the deer or elk. That is why we are choosing pistols and not another long gun.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
....... That is why we are choosing pistols and not another long gun.
That is why I just don't understand why you are limiting yourself to something that won't do the job intended for. A 357 at the least is recommended. I grew up on a Colt 357 handgun. They will generate almost twice as much foot-pounds of energy as the 40 and 45. They can penetrate through a bears hide, but your 2 choices rarely will, if ever.
Unless you really can't handle the 357, then I understand. Have you ever shot one?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Getting back to you're original question. Both are excellent weapons. The trigger of the 1911 will be better, due to the fact that the SR 40 is striker fired. However, the SR will be smaller and usually more comfortable to carry. I have a Sr 40c and love it and the the trigger is definitely acceptable. IF I had to use it on a hairy creature, I would want FMJ or hard cast lead bullets from buffalo bore. Shooting and testing the .40 cal, I would never feel under gunned. But that's my experience and two cents. Good luck to ya!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #18

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Oh, and if you do go with the SR 40, consider the compact; it is more versatile since it comes with a standard and compact magazine.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
That is why I just don't understand why you are limiting yourself to something that won't do the job intended for. A 357 at the least is recommended. I grew up on a Colt 357 handgun. They will generate almost twice as much foot-pounds of energy as the 40 and 45. They can penetrate through a bears hide, but your 2 choices rarely will, if ever.
Unless you really can't handle the 357, then I understand. Have you ever shot one?
Yes I have shot a .357 and its not a round I can handle.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #20

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:

Yes I have shot a .357 and its not a round I can handle.
That sucks, but good decision on not trying to rely on a cartridge you have difficulty with. Anna, would a 9mm +p+ fmj with a heavier bullet maybe be good?
Anna_Purna Likes This