Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Finally decided on on my choices for an OC handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Finally decided on on my choices for an OC handgun.

Finally got the opportunity to handle a Baby Eagle. I am glad i did not just buy one since it just did not fit right in my hand. The 2 finalists are the SR40 and the SR1911. Both fairly affordable and fit my hands like a glove but still have questions for anyone with experience with these or similar weapons as well as the power of the .45 ACP and .40 S&W.

My main concern is reliability.

Trigger pull heavy or fairly light?

As for my questions about the cartridges a little explanation might be necessary. Most of my hunting is done in Washington State on the Reservation where my wife is a tribal member. Lots of bear and cougar and some wolf. Bears include black, brown and grizzlies so I need something that could be capable of penetrating the thick bones of a large bear( even the black bears are quite large, we took one that weighed over 800lbs). Cougars over there are quite aggressive and regularly stalk and attack hunters. Wolves not many there as they were just reintroduced to the reservation in the last 5 years. These are all predators that there is a high chance of running into in the areas where we go hunting so the gun is not only for carry/home defense but also must be sufficient to put down a large predator when out hunting should the need arise. Neither are Ideal I am sure but they are the limit of what I am able to handle in a handgun so I just need to know which would be more capable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

A 40/45 is not recommended for stopping a bear, but if I gotta pick between the two i guess id go 45. May I suggest a glock 20 or 10mm 1911? Not much more snappy than a 40/45 and way more powerful with the full loads. If you like the sr40, why not go sr45 and get a couple more rounds than the 1911. I have the sr45 and love it but have heard good things also about the sr40 and sr1911. Both should be reliable. Im sure plenty of intelligent advice soon follows.

Last edited by jjones45; 09-14-2013 at 02:50 AM.
MTHunter Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In most cases a handgun is a last resort. If you have that many wild denizens you should just consider a nice pair of "Running Shoes".

Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I don't have any personal experience with those specific firearms and I'm no ballistician but here's my take. Honestly I would say a .44 Magnum or a .10mm. But if you think you can't handle them right now I would probably go with the .40 S&W. You'll probably get better penetration, which is what you want against those big ole creatures.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #5

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

With hydrashocks

Old 09-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you want to escape death by a Grizz using a .40 S&W? Shoot yourself.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #7

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Thanks guys while not ideal the .40S&W and the .45 ACP is the limit of what I can handle so I will have to make do. I won't be the only one carrying a sidearm while hunting my wife and my father in law will also both be carrying a .40 ( I never go hunting alone because my wife would kill me if I didn't take her along) so hopefully the volume of lead will make up for the shortcomings of both rounds. Grizz sightings are pretty rare but prints and such are fairly common to find so the chance of running into a Grizz is slim but still possible. Black bear and cougar are so numerous that it is almost guaranteed to run into them. Primarily because in my wife's tribe it is taboo to eat bear so no one hunts them and the population has pretty much exploded.

I chose these to and not some the possibly superior weapons out their because they both fulfill all my requirements for a weapon. They both have manual safeties and that is an absolute requirement for me. I won't even allow someone in my house if I know they are carrying one of the many pistols out there that do not have a safety. Both are full size which is another requirement I just am not a fan of compact handguns.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 910 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Glock 20 is issued to Greenland police and park rangers, to persuade grumpy P bears.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=

I chose these to and not some the possibly superior weapons out their because they both fulfill all my requirements for a weapon.

Umm... not exactly bear slayers, I carry a .40 and love it, just don't know if I'd go against a grizzly with one. Hell maybe there fine, but then again what rifles are you hunting with? You know a pistol is used just to get to a rifle.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 219

A rifle or shotgun w/ slugs would be ypur better bet, especially if you are already out hunting. Have you tried a 357 mag w/ a 4" barrel? To me felt about the same as shooting a 45 recoil wise. Is where youre talking about around the colville area?