Finally. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Finally.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange View Post
Congrats on your permit. Take the time to learn the laws and be safe
Yep. That's good advice.
I was pretty much stoked thinking of getting the Permit, then it arrived a few days ago and once that wears off, you start thinking of reality and stuff that really matters.

Day two I decided that I wanted to carry, but realized that the only time I'd want to draw my weapon is where imminent and life threatening danger to my life or a member of my family's life was present. But what about the jackass at my car window screaming at me because I didn't move out of a parking spot fast enough? Or the two thug looking guys approaching me at the end of Walmart's parking lot? I'm sure we can all come up with hundreds of scenarios where there might be a less than lethal threat where you want to protect yourself, but not kill someone. At least until you're sure your life is in danger.

So, I bought a good Pepper Spray canister to carry for any situation where less than lethal force defense might be needed which is probably 99.99% of the time. Now I have a choice and can select a defense / deterrent suitable for the situation and level of threat. Most of the time, you are best not to draw your weapon. When you do, it better be for a damn good reason. But Pepper Spray? You're not likely to get in trouble for using that.

Last edited by galapogos; 05-28-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #12

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos

Yep. That's good advice.
I was pretty much stoked thinking of getting the Permit, then it arrived a few days ago and once that wears off, you start thinking of reality and stuff that really matters.

Day two I decided that I wanted to carry, but realized that the only time I'd want to draw my weapon is where imminent and life threatening danger to my life or a member of my family's life was present.
Once you got your permit and the " stokedness" wore off you started thinking about reality and 'stuff' that really matters?
Day two of carrying and you realized You might not want to whip your gun out unless it was necessary?
Wtf bro?, these are definitely 'stuff' you should have thought about, long and hard, BEFORE you started carrying! Were you sleeping during the class? Did you even take one? I'm not trying to flame you but your comments semt multiple red flags up to me,, maybe you just worded your post wrong.. I really hope so.....
Old 05-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #13

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Gonna have to go with Bear. That thought should have been delt with well before even taking your class much less starting to carry.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I decided to get my permit, I made the conscious decision that I am willing to protect myself and my loved ones, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not 'stoked' about it, it is a massive responsibility and in a situation, there has to be no doubt about what you're doing, and it had better be the right thing in your mind at that moment. My .02

Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #15

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe
When I decided to get my permit, I made the conscious decision that I am willing to protect myself and my loved ones, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not 'stoked' about it, it is a massive responsibility and in a situation, there has to be no doubt about what you're doing, and it had better be the right thing in your mind at that moment. My .02
+10^^^ Agreed, some serious fore thought should go into this, its not like its a matter of life or death,,,,oh wait it is.....

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #16

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Pepper spray can still get you into legal troubles. You can be charged with assault, and then sued. You need to rethink as to whether or not youre mature enough to carry.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
Pepper spray can still get you into legal troubles. You can be charged with assault, and then sued. You need to rethink as to whether or not youre mature enough to carry.
Agreed, many people don't understand that even OC can get you into hot water if improperly used.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe

Agreed, many people don't understand that even OC can get you into hot water if improperly used.
This drives me crazy. At 12 yo I walked by police weekly with a loaded gun(s) in summer or winter! It was normal. I feel like a frog and the water is getting hotter each election!!! We're losing.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Some jackass OUTSIDE your car window? Two thug looking guys approaching in your direction? You're scaring me bro. You need to seriously consider the consequinces of your actions. Don't be trigger happy , you can't get that bullet back, and pepper spray can get you in a heap of trouble too. Its good to be aware of your surroundings , but paranoid and trigger happy is a dangerous combination.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #20

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak

Are you saying that you get your CPL on the spot?
I love Alabama in and out in 20 min. Permit in hand.