Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Finally!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/finally-31822/)

FCross7 09-16-2010 09:15 PM

Finally!!!

I've been at class all day, but I just got a call from my mom saying that my CWP came in today. It took just under 2 weeks from the time I sent my paperwork out, which those of you from Florida know that that is really quick. When my parents and sister did theirs it took almost 3 months for them to get them. I've already got my set up, it's a XD 45 Compact in a Crossbeed Supertuck. I've been applying saddle soap and wearing it around the house to get it broken in over the last couple weeks. Still squeaks a bit, but not as bad as it did, and is very comfortable. After 10 minutes or so I forget that it's even there. I'm hoping to get something smaller in .380 for those really hot days so I can wear a smaller shirt. Probably either a LCP or a Sig p238 if money allows.

I've read through Canes paper about carrying, but is there anything else anyone would recommend before I start carrying?

Thanks for any info.

-Fred

NGIB 09-16-2010 09:33 PM

Fred, the best advice I can give is just try to feel normal. At first you will be very self-conscious and you'll think everyone is staring at your gun - they aren't. It's easy to spot a new carrier as they tend to bring attention to themselves by constantly checking to make sure they're concealed well. It's normal and it passes.

Luckily, in GA we can open carry with a permit which means we can "sloppily" conceal carry and I do at times. If I'm just out running a quick errand, many times I clip on a paddle holster and pull a t-shirt over it...

Daoust_Nat 09-16-2010 11:19 PM

Congrats! Florida has gotten better. Two of the guys I work with got theirs in two weeks. At three weeks I called in case mine had disappeared in the mail. They told me mine had not been started as people were on vacation! Got it the next week.

007BondJamesBond007 09-16-2010 11:21 PM

You can carry a full size pistol with shorts and tee shirt. I do it all the time. a full size Beretta 92FS and 1911.

NGIB 09-16-2010 11:24 PM

Be careful in FL Fred as concealed means concealed. If you run into the wrong LEO and are "printing" they can "talk" to you. You may remember the huge irritating thread we had about this subject some months ago. I think Cane finally had to slap some folks...

FCross7 09-17-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G37 (Post 351845)
All I can really advise is carrying that XD45 might not be as hard as you think when it is warmer. I carried my G37 when it 100+ for a few days in shorts and a long loose Tshirt. It might be worth a try!

I do have a P32 I pocket carry along with the G37 though and have been know to step out to the stop and rob with nothing but it. Not often, but I have. Its just too easy to carry a pocket gun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 (Post 351866)
You can carry a full size pistol with shorts and tee shirt. I do it all the time. a full size Beretta 92FS and 1911.

No doubt, I've been carrying my XD around the house the last couple weeks and it was no trouble at all. I can barely even feel it after a few minutes, but sometimes it would be nice to have something a little smaller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 351867)
Be careful in FL Fred as concealed means concealed. If you run into the wrong LEO and are "printing" they can "talk" to you. You may remember the huge irritating thread we had about this subject some months ago. I think Cane finally had to slap some folks...

This is true, you guys are lucky up there in GA. Most LEOs around here that I know are pretty gun-friendly, but knowing my luck I'd get that one that was super anti-gun. I tried to look up the penalty for printing on the states website, but it was fairly confusing and I couldn't find much. I've heard from a couple different people that it's only a fine of $25. The only thing I could find is this:

Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.

If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s.

This seems to me more like brandishing though, so next time I see one of the local LEOs that I know I'm going to ask them.

-Fred

canebrake 09-17-2010 03:02 AM

Way down here I have not encountered any "printing" violations but there are a ton of brandishing cases.

I think this is a simple case of common sense on the LEO's part. They have far more important things to do like chase gangstas.

The idiot-savant gang-bangers are either hiding their piece or are waving it around to impress children and large pets.

Here's a hint, don't touch the damn thing! Don't adjust it, it doesn't need adjusted. Before you know it the only time you will notice your carry piece is when you step over the threshold on your way out and you do not have it on!

Clint Smith said it best, "Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting."

WDB 09-17-2010 03:35 AM

Congrats!

You are on the right track, find a pisol & holster that fits you well, carry often and it will become second nature.

FCross7 09-17-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 351990)
Way down here I have not encountered any "printing" violations but there are a ton of brandishing cases.

I think this is a simple case of common sense on the LEO's part. They have far more important things to do like chase gangstas.

The idiot-savant gang-bangers are either hiding their piece or are waving it around to impress children and large pets.

Here's a hint, don't touch the damn thing! Don't adjust it, it doesn't need adjusted. Before you know it the only time you will notice your carry piece is when you step over the threshold on your way out and you do not have it on!

Clint Smith said it best, "Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting."

That's what I figured. I was thinking it was kind of like stopping at a stop sign but not before the stop bar, yes it's illegal, but are you gonna get a ticket for it? Probably not.

And not touching it seems to be what everyone is telling me. After reading you and NGIB's posts, I ran up to the store to get something and noticed myself wanting to keep checking. I caught myself however and tried my best to not mess with it.

thanks again for all the advice everyone.

-Fred

capnklump 09-19-2010 10:20 AM

Horsehide or cowhide

Fcross, the supertuck you got, is it horsehide, or cowhide? I'm thinking of getting one for my XD-40 subcompact and was wondering which one would feel more comfortable & which (horse or cowhide) would benefit more from saddlesoap for breaking in purposes,

Thanks