A few comments on CCW posts…

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A few comments on CCW posts…

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default A few comments on CCW posts…

I’m new to this forum, but after reading some of the posts, I wanted to make a few comments on some of the posts. I’m not trying to start a flame, but I think we have a responsibility to post answers that help to protect our right to carry and gun responsibilities overall, and protect those that are new to our sport and have their best interests in mind.

When I took my CCW training seven years ago, I was lucky enough to take it from one of the co-authors of the bill in Minnesota. The main thing I walked away from that class with was the idea that you never want to shoot someone unless you really have to, and I have a greater respect for guns and when not to use them than I did before (and I’ve been hunting all my life). Some of the questions from beginners on which gun to chose and which caliber are answered with comments that really don’t reflect the correct attitude on guns. Comment like” two in the head and one in the chest” (or whatever) don’t do much for someone who is really considering carrying a handgun and to me sound too much like cowboy antics. My advise would be don't worry so much about the caliber, just find a gun that's reliable and you're comfortable shooting.

I’ve carried for seven years and never pulled my gun. Never want to either. Shooting someone is the last thing I ever want to do. Even if I’m in the clear and it’s a clean shoot, I’m going to spend 20K in lawyer fees clearing/protecting myself. Carrying a gun is not a responsibility to be taken lightly. That said, I have no qualms about protecting my family with lethal force if needed.

One scenario- you’re in the parking ramp in a big city and you see three guys abducting a girl and pulling her in into a van. Sounds like it’s time to spring into action huh? OR- is it the girls’ brother and a couple friends taking her (unwillingly) off to treatment? Think how bad that one could go! A night out with the Mrs. At your favorite restaurant could become a two hour headache if you’re playing John Wayne with your CCW. Say the waitress see your sidearm and thinks it a something other than what it is and calls the police….. Your night out with the wife turns into a couple hour ordeal at the station. You walk away clean, but your night is ruined.

One suggestion- if you’re going to carry a gun, get the name and number of a good lawyer from your trainer that knows the gun laws and supports the cause. Ask him what you should do if you ever need to protect yourself, and what to do afterwards.

When under stress the body does funny things. It’s not like shooting at a paper target at the range. Whether it’s a 9mm, .40 or a 45 ACP, you’ll be lucky to get one in the zone from 10 feet away if you’re not trained and aware of your surroundings. I’ve worked with people who have shot all their lives and decide to get their permits and go to the range with me and are amazed at how bad they shoot. One friend of mine went to the range with me for some practice before his class and was a real poor shot from the start. We were starting at fifteen feet and he wasn’t even hitting the paper. He finally started at five feet and started walking his way backwards. He wasn’t a newb- he was in Viet Nam for a tour and was in the field and saw combat.

I’ll get of my soapbox now. Thanks for letting me speak my mind.

Last edited by Westy; 09-06-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8705 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

As the man said- not to start (or fan) a flame- however-

If you ever have to shoot someone- your LIFE is about to change. Whether is a good shooting or not, you LIFE is gonna change. Yes, there will likely be more involvement with lawyers and government people than you have ever seen. Along with news media, family, and fruitcakes.

The key is that in some circumstances, without being able to defend yourself with that firearm, you would not HAVE a life to change. And you should consider it from that perspective- it's when you have nothing else to go to.

Some of you will have seen me answer a post on selecting a firearm for CCW- my answer generally will be "The SIMPLEST firearm that will function reliably, that you can shoot well, with reasonable stopping power, that is compact enough to carry." Frankly, when rushed, startled, bad light, bad angle- I will be lucky to put one in the stopping zone. I will take any help I can get in making that happen. Which may explain the Crimson Trace, the DA revolver, etc.

As far as the waitress scenario- concealed SHOULD mean concealed, but either way, she just killed her chances of a tip from me!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

As far as the waitress scenario- concealed SHOULD mean concealed, but either way, she just killed her chances of a tip from me!
Indeed C3!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
I’ve carried for seven years and never pulled my gun. Never want to either. Shooting someone is the last thing I ever want to do. Even if I’m in the clear and it’s a clean shoot, I’m going to spend 20K in lawyer fees clearing/protecting myself. ...
Wouldn't your homeowner's/renter's liability insurance protect you? I been an adjuster for 8 years and I've only dealt with auto and home owner claims. I should know this but have never heard/seen any type of claim involving a firearm shot by one of our policyholders.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post
Wouldn't your homeowner's/renter's liability insurance protect you? I been an adjuster for 8 years and I've only dealt with auto and home owner claims. I should know this but have never heard/seen any type of claim involving a firearm shot by one of our policyholders.
Good question! I don't really know. Perhaps if you're in your home. Perhaps you can check and post what you find out?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Good question! I don't really know. Perhaps if you're in your home. Perhaps you can check and post what you find out?
I'll look into it, just cause I'm a curious weirdo like that. I swear I have so much useless info in my head... Sad thing is I can barely remember half of it.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8705 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Ref: Homeowners- It MAY provide some coverage/ legal defense- IF the shooting was accidental.

Q. Did you mean to shoot him?

A. Damn straight I did.

Response: We insure against accidents, not intentional acts. Have a good day.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My 2 cents is to absolutely know and understand the laws of your state. Many states have have their own "forums" dealing with these specifics and this is a good place to start.

Having a lawyer pre-selected and ready is a good idea as well...

Old 09-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #9

I think we have a case of apples vs oranges here, many of us like you have been taught by respectable, educated proffessionals and understand what you are reffering too in regard to restriant, however there is also the issue of actual self deffense training and shooting itself, that is where you will hear the shot placement and tactics discussed on this forum, if you don't practice your gun handling skills you are actualy LESS responsable as a gun owner.